Nutrient Timing for Evening Training

Will be coming back onto maintenance next week after thibs regressive keto cycle and I would like to know peoples thoughts on nutrient timing for someone training in the evening (8pm).

I will be having a total of 6 feeding opportunities: 3 solid P+F, 2 solid P+C and 1 liquid P+C.

I was thinking of a morning P+C and the P+C shake for post training… but I dont know what to do with the other solid meal? After the P+C shake (but then will be having a large dose of carbs before bed) or before training? Or do I have it at all?

Meal 1: P+C
Meal 2: P+F
Meal 3: P+F
Meal 4: P+F
Training
Meal 5: P+C PWO shake
Meal 6: P+C

or

Meal 4: P+C
Training
Meal 6: P+F

or even skip the extra P+C altogether:

Training
Meal 6: P+F

Any articles on this?

Do people have any idea WHY carbs before bed is so bad?

Well, it’s not bad.

The rationale was that healthy, normal people are more insulin resistant in the evening. However, training massively increases insulin sensitivity. The effect of training is HUGE compared to the effect of time of day. In fact, the time of day effect probably doesn’t even matter because insulin isn’t the only factor that matters, and other hormones may be negatively affected by carbs in the morning but not at night.

Bottom line, get in as many carbs as your muscles can suck up after training.

Aye I was reading up on berardis old massive eating reloaded part 2 article.

One of the sample meal plans he provided outlined an afternoon training session with the last meal before bed being P+C too.

I guess I will go with:

Training

And ensure that meal 6 in particular has very high quality carbohydrates but not excessive amounts.

Depends on your goals. If you are trying to deplete glycogen and enhance fat loss go with P+F or just plain old P. P+C will blunt cortisol and take advantage of increased insulin for glycogen storage PWO. CHO before bed isn’t a bad thing but if you don’t handle carbs well you might find it hard to sleep from increased insulin and blood sugar. As long as you meet your caloric requirements for the day, PWO carbs are the best time to eat them.

Holy crap…

Meal Pro Carb Fat Calories
1 60 120 10 810
2 50 15 40 620
3 50 15 40 620
4 50 15 40 620
Shake 50 60 5 485
6 50 100 10 690
totals: 310 325 145 3845

Not happy with these numbers at all… how would other people arrange things?

[quote]benmoore wrote:
Aye I was reading up on berardis old massive eating reloaded part 2 article.

One of the sample meal plans he provided outlined an afternoon training session with the last meal before bed being P+C too.

I guess I will go with:

Training

And ensure that meal 6 in particular has very high quality carbohydrates but not excessive amounts.[/quote]

The amount matters a lot. Quality, not so much IMO for PWO meals.

At any given time, muscles can take in only so much carbs and aminos. You want to take in exactly that much. Too much, and the excess will only get stored as fat. Too little, and you will have underutilized an opportunity to grow.

phew

Just found out that my calculations for BMR has been wrong - was adding the last bit instead of taking away!

New values look more manageable:

Meal Pro Carb Fat Calories
1 50 120 10 770
2 40 15 35 535
3 40 15 35 535
4 40 15 35 535
Shake 40 50 5 405
6 50 75 10 590
totals: 260 290 130 3370