T Nation

Nutrient Rich Blood

I have read in multiple articles that an important part of muscle recovery and growth is getting nutrient rich blood flowing to those muscles.

Well, are there any supplements that do this? Preferably all natural supplements?

One of the things I do now is high reps low weights of different exercises for the muscles I am targeting at the end of my workout. For example, I will do a set of 15-20 of cable crossovers after a hard chest day. Opinions?

Don’t forget the supplement part of this post.

Do you eat protein? How about vegetables?

like the above said lots of protein on a regualr basis, fruits veggies all damn day every day, nuts, good fats. then supplement after you ahve that covered a good multi just in case. of course a protein powder is very helpfull etc.

I am in the habit of getting all my nutrients and eating tons of protein. What I was getting at, in addition to the suggested, was actually increasing the blood flow in the targeted muscles to flood them with the nutrients that my blood carries. Any opinions?

[quote]bigdude wrote:
I am in the habit of getting all my nutrients and eating tons of protein. What I was getting at, in addition to the suggested, was actually increasing the blood flow in the targeted muscles to flood them with the nutrients that my blood carries. Any opinions?[/quote]

If you’ve worked your muscles sufficiently hard to induce enough damage for growth you should have all the bloodflow necessary. I wouldn’t think one very high rep set at the end of a workout is going to hurt anything and this idea has been around for years, but I wouldn’t ascribe any magical results to it either.

Do you have reason to believe that you’re not already getting ample blood flow and nutrient perfusion to certain body parts?

I’m guessing you read this in some kind of muscle magazine. First, throw the magazine away. Second, stop micro-managing. The very act of lifting weights pumps blood through the muscles. Circulation remains elevated to the muscles long after.

Of course, circulation does not stop after you’ve exercised, hence blood continues to flow into the area. In fact, if you exercised correctly, you will have triggered minor inflammation in the muscle which is itself blood flow.

Finally, don’t forget that building muscle involves laying down new blood vessels (capillaries) as well as strengthening existing ones. Thus muscle begets more muscle.

Why worry about such things as circulation when you should instead focus on increasing your squat, deadlift, and press?

you’re worrying too much specifically about blood flow, when there’s a hundred other things you probally need to worry about more.

Are you serious?

Quit starting stupid threads and do your homework.

[quote]bigdude wrote:
I have read in multiple articles that an important part of muscle recovery and growth is getting nutrient rich blood flowing to those muscles.[/quote]

I also would like to have nutrient rich blood. How do I get some?

Actually the guys not too far off his rocker. Check out today’s Cool Tip.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Actually the guys not too far off his rocker. Check out today’s Cool Tip.[/quote]

Yeah but he was making “nutrient rich blood” sound like some miracle thing you can get injected into you or something special you can only get with a supplement.

Sounds like he was reading an article promoting an NO booster.

Why is it so difficult to give this poor guy a straight answer? Do we need to turn every person into a charity case and tell them that they need to get proper nutrition when he asks a simple question about supplements? [end hijack]

To answer the original question, pre workout Surge will greatly increase muscle bloow flow. And as far as I know rapidly absorbed protein and carbs are the only supplements known to do this.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Actually the guys not too far off his rocker. Check out today’s Cool Tip.[/quote]

Yeah and there was one a week or so ago talking about how high rep exercises are not only a waste of time, but actually detrimental. I’m not denigrating the tips of the day at all or this guy’s question, but it still comes down to there being as many different opinions as there are trainers on some things.

I’ll speak only for myself, but if needed something extra to get blood moving through my muscles I’d question the “sincerity” of the workout I just completed.

I belive the Amino Acid Arginine is also a supplement used for purposes similar.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:

I must have missed that. Does the tip tell me where to get nutrient-rich blood? I have blood, but I want nutrient-rich blood. Where do I get this?

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
Actually the guys not too far off his rocker. Check out today’s Cool Tip.

I must have missed that. Does the tip tell me where to get nutrient-rich blood? I have blood, but I want nutrient-rich blood. Where do I get this?[/quote]

I wasn’t commenting specifically on the “nutrient-rich” portion of his question, just the recovery aspect.

After digestion of foods, Vasoactive Inhibitory Peptide dilates veins and arties to allow for increased blood flow of “nutrient rich blood” to basically all parts of the body. That’s how you get nutrient rich blood, eat stuff.

[quote]Traceur wrote:
Why is it so difficult to give this poor guy a straight answer? Do we need to turn every person into a charity case and tell them that they need to get proper nutrition when he asks a simple question about supplements? [end hijack]

…[/quote]

Because he is all over the site starting topics asking silly questions.

How do you get nutrient rich blood? By eating nutrient rich foods.

How do you get it to your muscles?
By lifting weights.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
…How do you get it to your muscles?..
[/quote]

A better question might even be “how do you keep it away from your muscles?” Does anybody know of a way to do this?

“Go for the pump!!!”… “don’t worry about going for the pump!!!”…

This discussion was raging during the Reagan years. I don’t know about anybody else, but I don’t believe I’ve ever done a hard working set that didn’t cause the target muscles and even some secondary ones to fill with blood. I just don’t how to avoid it.

It’s the body’s natural response to stress and injury.