T Nation

Nutrient Absorption and Timing?

If it takes 1 hour 20 minutes to digest hydro whey why do you want to take it 15 minutes before a workout with a fast carb? It seems like you’d want to drink the hydro whey 45-60 min out and then drink a fast carb right before soft tissue work and stretching to shoot the digested aminos into muscle.

What’s the digestion rate of something like bcaa powder, glutamine capsules, or citrulline capsules?

I’ve been taking some L-citrulline capsules-citrulline without the malate. Is it going to provide some of the same benefits CM does? I’m thinking I’ll buy some CM powder by itself next time I stock up on supps and use it with a pre workout shake of other bullshit like bcaa and glutamine.

[quote]darkhorse1-1 wrote:
If it takes 1 hour 20 minutes to digest hydro whey why do you want to take it 15 minutes before a workout with a fast carb? It seems like you’d want to drink the hydro whey 45-60 min out and then drink a fast carb to shoot the digested aminos into muscle before you do soft tissue work and stretching.

What’s the digestion rate of something like bcaa powder, glutamine capsules, or citrulline capsules?

I’ve been taking some L-citrulline capsules-citrulline without the malate. Is it going to provide some of the same benefits CM does? I’m thinking I’ll buy some CM powder by itself next time I stock up on supps and use it with a pre workout shake of other bullshit like bcaa and glutamine.[/quote]

I don’t know where you’re getting that information but from what I remember it takes whey isolate about 40 mins to peak in amino blood levels. Hydrolyzed whey is essentially already digested and should be available to the body instantly… I’m talking in a fasted state.

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]darkhorse1-1 wrote:
If it takes 1 hour 20 minutes to digest hydro whey why do you want to take it 15 minutes before a workout with a fast carb? It seems like you’d want to drink the hydro whey 45-60 min out and then drink a fast carb to shoot the digested aminos into muscle before you do soft tissue work and stretching.

What’s the digestion rate of something like bcaa powder, glutamine capsules, or citrulline capsules?

I’ve been taking some L-citrulline capsules-citrulline without the malate. Is it going to provide some of the same benefits CM does? I’m thinking I’ll buy some CM powder by itself next time I stock up on supps and use it with a pre workout shake of other bullshit like bcaa and glutamine.[/quote]

I don’t know where you’re getting that information but from what I remember it takes whey isolate about 40 mins to peak in amino blood levels. Hydrolyzed whey is essentially already digested and should be available to the body instantly… I’m talking in a fasted state.
[/quote]

It’s an old article, but:

[quote]darkhorse1-1 wrote:
If it takes 1 hour 20 minutes to digest hydro whey why do you want to take it 15 minutes before a workout with a fast carb?.[/quote]

Re-read and pay attention to insulin and it’s roll.

[quote]JFG wrote:

[quote]darkhorse1-1 wrote:
If it takes 1 hour 20 minutes to digest hydro whey why do you want to take it 15 minutes before a workout with a fast carb?.[/quote]

Re-read and pay attention to insulin and it’s roll.[/quote]

I was under the impression insulin increased absorption of amino acids, increased blood flow to muscle, and increased protein synthesis among other things.

Maybe I phrased the question poorly. In the article I read-which is 7 years old and possibly based on antiquated research- hydro whey takes 80 minutes to digest. What’s the point of consuming a fast carb with the protein. Insulin won’t speed the digestion of the protein. I don’t know how long insulin remains spiked following fast carb consumption, but it seems like if it takes 80 min for protein to digest you’d want to wait and take the fast carb close to when the protein has been digested into a useable form.

[quote]darkhorse1-1 wrote:

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]darkhorse1-1 wrote:
If it takes 1 hour 20 minutes to digest hydro whey why do you want to take it 15 minutes before a workout with a fast carb? It seems like you’d want to drink the hydro whey 45-60 min out and then drink a fast carb to shoot the digested aminos into muscle before you do soft tissue work and stretching.

What’s the digestion rate of something like bcaa powder, glutamine capsules, or citrulline capsules?

I’ve been taking some L-citrulline capsules-citrulline without the malate. Is it going to provide some of the same benefits CM does? I’m thinking I’ll buy some CM powder by itself next time I stock up on supps and use it with a pre workout shake of other bullshit like bcaa and glutamine.[/quote]

I don’t know where you’re getting that information but from what I remember it takes whey isolate about 40 mins to peak in amino blood levels. Hydrolyzed whey is essentially already digested and should be available to the body instantly… I’m talking in a fasted state.
[/quote]

It’s an old article, but:

The protein is already broken up into large peptides, so we get a rapid absorption with peak levels reaching the blood at around 80 minutes (Calbet and MacLean, 2002),

Most hydrolyzed whey/caseins that I have seen recently are mainly di or tri peptides, IIRC.

[quote]darkhorse1-1 wrote:
What’s the point of consuming a fast carb with the protein.[/quote]

Insulin is a nutrient shuttle-r. So it’ll help get amino acids to muscle cells.

good questions responses haven’t told you anything you don’t already know
this probably doesn’t tell you anything you don’t already know except for
a role of insulin that you may may not be entirely clear.

“What’s the point of consuming a fast carb with the protein”
damage control
prevents breakdown of stored nutrients until the protein gets absorbed
which would be most applicable post workout

you brought up a point most people are oblivious to about drinking a shake 45 mins pre workout followed by fast carbs right before a workout being a better way to go.

easiest way to take care of all essentials which is probably overkill: -whey 45-60 mins PWO, fast carb right before, sip on bcaa’s intraworkout, fast carb after, whey shake right after, another whey shake about 80 mins later, meal about an an hour and a half after that.

[quote]thefreshmanverve wrote:
you brought up a point most people are oblivious to about drinking a shake 45 mins pre workout followed by fast carbs right before a workout being a better way to go.
[/quote]

I don’t know, what some call being “detail-oriented” might strike others as simply “majoring in the minors”

edit - not to imply that PWO nutrition isn’t invaluable, just that timing different shakes intake seems excessive

if working out 5 x a week and you took your shake 45 mins out instead of right before i would imagine it would impact your results

This is my take on the peri workout deal.

Starting to drink whey hydro 15-20 mins out with fast digesting carbs is fine. It will START to digest and enter the bloodstream, and that is what is important. You don’t need all of it digested for it to have its effects.

So you spike insulin slightly before you start working out to get amino acids and carbs in your blood stream. Once you start working out insulin levels are blunted due to elevated stress hormones. So you will have some circulating carbs and AA’s to be used as fuel and prevent protein degradation.

Now independent of insulin, glucose and AA transport proteins (which shuttle glucose and AA’s into the muscle cells) are activated by the exercise. Once exercise has stopped, these transport proteins remain active on the edge of the muscle cells waiting to suck up more AA’s and glucose. But, since you are no longer exercising your muscles are now in the business of being built back up, and restoring glycogen. So, any circulating AA’s or carbs left over from your drink (which is all dependent on the amount consumed, and amount of activity done) will most likely be driven into the muscle cells via the active transport proteins.

These transport proteins stay active for sometime after exercise, but this is where spiking your insulin with more carbs, and then adding more AA’s is beneficial. Insulin makes sure these transport proteins stay active thus, increasing the amount of time glucose and AA’s can be driven into the muscle cells.

If you eat food during the day prior to exercise you are going to have aminos floating around anyway. so it aint going to be a deal breaker if or when you take in your “periwork nutrition”

[quote]thefreshmanverve wrote:
if working out 5 x a week and you took your shake 45 mins out instead of right before i would imagine it would impact your results[/quote]

He covered that in the article.

That’s why I Train at night and not in the early mornings…