T Nation

Numbness Down My Arm

so last friday i was doing skull crushers from the floor and suddenly i had this terrible pain in my elbow. its hurt before but never bad ill usually just stop doing them for a while and then its all ok. but for some reason since friday from my left elbow down it has been occasionally going numb, and if its not numb theres a constant pain that goes from my elbow all the way down to my knuckles. anyone ever have this problem? is there anything i can do about it?

I had that problem too. I cut my arm off with a chainsaw and it seemed to help.

[quote]artw wrote:
I had that problem too. I cut my arm off with a chainsaw and it seemed to help.[/quote]

Would have been quicker if you let another tman drop his 1000lb deadlift onto it.

I chopped mine off with a herring.

This could definitely be a problem related to nerve pressure. One of my peers had a problem with a nerve that ran from his shoulder down under his chest that eventually became compressed. As a result he slowly started losing feeling in his right arm. I would get it checked out ASAP, because my peers problem was a result of a spinal problem in his neck.

Could just be a nerve problem in your elbow. I would lay off the skullcrushers. I like the results, but they always seem to fuck up my elbows.

I’ve never had that problem in my elbows but my right thumb does go numb every time I do overhead squats. It lasts for 6 hours or so. The first time it happened I was freaked out. Function always eventually returns to normal though.

Foam roll it.

/thread

thanks for all the input guys. ill look into getting it checked out sometime soon.

as for the foam rolling, how would i go about doing it to that part of my body?

If it is your pinky and part of your ring finger going numb then you could have cubital tunnel syndrome, like carpal tunnel only in the elbow. If it gets to the point where you are losing strength in the hand you will need surgery.

aeyogi it is actually my ring and middle finger, would that create a different diagnosis from you?

Since that girl from class bit my forearm last year, I don’t feel a thing. I can move my fingers, get stuff, pick my nose and stuff I feel nothing. You can nail my hand to a board and than rip the board off and I won’t feel a thing, just tension. It kinda impress/scares chicks when I make a cigarette burn in my hand. Cool shit.

my guess is that your ulnar nerve (the funny bone one) is getting pinched when you do that motion. I’d get myself to a chiropractor if I were you.

[quote]fighting_fires wrote:
aeyogi it is actually my ring and middle finger, would that create a different diagnosis from you? [/quote]

I’m getting in over my head to offer any more advice. The ulnar nerve passes through the cubital tunnel in the elbow, and the ulnar nerve conducts sensations from the pinky and 1/2 of the ring finger; so it would seem reasonable that it is something else. Probably a good idea to have it looked at. Hope you get it straightened out.

[quote]Who_Cares wrote:
Since that girl from class bit my forearm last year, I don’t feel a thing. I can move my fingers, get stuff, pick my nose and stuff I feel nothing. You can nail my hand to a board and than rip the board off and I won’t feel a thing, just tension. It kinda impress/scares chicks when I make a cigarette burn in my hand. Cool shit.[/quote]

Is that supposed to be funny?

alright sounds good. yeah i see a chiropractor regularly and i think im going in tomorrow so ill just ask them about it. thanks again.

chiropractors are frauds though. they make you pay for xrays and they dont even know what they are looking for. they pop your neck and back and send you on your way. go to a real doctor. your nerves arent in a knot or tied around your humerus and popping your back isnt going to help. this is superstitious medicine. i have proof. dumb people understand it, therefore it is not medical

also my left arm goes numb when i sneeze, that happened for years. my spine didnt straighten after two years?

[quote]eremesu wrote:
chiropractors are frauds though. they make you pay for xrays and they dont even know what they are looking for. they pop your neck and back and send you on your way. go to a real doctor. your nerves arent in a knot or tied around your humerus and popping your back isnt going to help. this is superstitious medicine. i have proof. dumb people understand it, therefore it is not medical[/quote]

Oh really, so how did you know I take X rays when I don’t. Or what I studied in school or whatever.

Capitals, btw. And you talk about dumb people. Have you ever heard of active release? Doubt genius boy. Most MDs I know have not, are not skilled in it, and just give you some pills for the pain. Very scientific. I’ve had all my injuries fixed by a chiropractor, none by a MD.

Pills don’t fix.

[quote]eremesu wrote:
chiropractors are frauds though. they make you pay for xrays and they dont even know what they are looking for. they pop your neck and back and send you on your way. go to a real doctor. your nerves arent in a knot or tied around your humerus and popping your back isnt going to help. this is superstitious medicine. i have proof. dumb people understand it, therefore it is not medical[/quote]

i completely disagree with this. Ive had an injury where two drs told me I had no option but to quit my sport where as my chiro dr worked real hard with me, they do both chiro and physical therapy at mine and got me to play again. ever since then i trust them with my life. i also think youve never been to one and just call fraud bc you heard a story from a guy who didnt get any help.

True fighting. People will have on bad experience with a DC and they’re all bad. Or hear something and they’re all bad. But look how many die every year due to medical mistakes? I still go to MDs when I need to.

Over the years they have a done a poor job of treating musculoskeletal injuries. I mean treating. Not diagnosing.

I don’t think people realize how little many MDs treat on their own. And no , medicine is not on their own. They tell you when and how to take it. They don’t do the healing. The knowledge and know how is important, ut the work is done by the meds.

Surgeons treat by physically working on tissue. So do PTS, chiropractors, soft tissue people etc. Most doctors diagnose and RECOMMEND treatment strategies. Might seem like semantics, but it’s how it is.