T Nation

Numbers Not Going Up

Hey guys,

I’m currently on Wendler’s 5/3/1 (the T-Nation variation). Currently on Week 2 of 1.4.

Basically, I’ve followed the program quite closely. My biggest mistake was forgetting to add 5/10 pounds during 1.2. At the start of the program, my 1RM were as follows:

Squat: 315
Bench: 285
Deadlift: 405
Military: 225

Squat: squatted yesterday and I collapsed on 325 near the whole.
Bench: I did my heavy bench on Monday and barely made 285.
Deadlift: this is the only lift that has barely gone up. I’m at 435 now (form wasn’t perfect though).
Military: I can barely get 235.

Is this normal? My lifts have barely gone up and I’m quite disappointed with myself.

Background info: I’m 23 and 6’3 at 225lbs. Caloric intake is around 3300.

Any suggestions?

Maybe eat better food? You know, there is a difference between 3k cals from cookies and 3k cals from meat and eggs. Are you recovering well?

To clarify, you have only done the program for 2 weeks?

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
To clarify, you have only done the program for 2 weeks?[/quote]

He should actually be on week 18.

Why not use 5% for the joker then? 320?

And yes, it is hard. If it was easy, he wouldn’t have written it.

Dig deep and it might even be your diet (or lack of). Only you can tell if 3000 calories is enough. But being 6’3", 225 myself, I can say it’s a safe bet you are not eating for this challenge.

It’s nice to see people with constructive feedback rather than trolling on here.

@ ippawel, obviously. My diet is mixed. I tried to hit all my macros and micros. I drink about 1000 calories from whole milk alone. I have a cheat day on Sunday where I can just eat whatever–surely this is not a big setback? I think I am recovering well. I usually get my 8 hours of sleep. On my heavy deadlift/squat days, I see that I have very deep sleeps which is nice.

@ T3hPwinsher, what JFG said :slight_smile:

@ JFG, i will try that next time. Slap on the 2.5s. My jokers have been singles, should I try the doubles or triples maybe? I have a feeling it could be dieting as well. 3300 is above my maintenance, so I thought it would be reasonable. I know Jim says this is not for the people who are trying to lose weight (which is not what I’m aiming for, I just want strength), however at the same time, I don’t want to slap on a bunch of fat. Do you think upping it to 3600 would be better?

Also, what do people generally do after this program? I definitely plan on repeating, however I was thinking of going through a 6-8 week hypertrophy session and then coming back to this–thoughts?

I don’t understand, you are using a training max significantly above your maxes when you started and you are disappointed?

Anyway, that aside:

Tell us more about your diet (and supps)
Your conditioning, mobility and jump/throw work,
Your sleep

Did you deload?

How did you feel going into this workout? Tired, stressed, etc?

[quote]tsantos wrote:
I don’t understand, you are using a training max significantly above your maxes when you started and you are disappointed?[/quote]

I thought so too, but re did the math and he is fine, except he missed 1.2

[quote]
Anyway, that aside:

Tell us more about your diet (and supps)
Your conditioning, mobility and jump/throw work,
Your sleep

Did you deload? [/quote]
Why deload? Is it in the program? Since there is four full pages, I might have missed it.

[quote]I don’t want to slap on a bunch of fat. Do you think upping it to 3600 would be better?

[/quote]

It’s very hard to “slap on a bunch of fat”. It generally accumulates over a long enough period of time that you can easily adjust your diet if the weight is coming on TOO fast.

Simple guess here is you should increase your food. Get up to 4000 at least, and then see how it goes. Personally I’d jump it to 5000 and simply watch the scales. Adjusting as needed.

Food intake is too low (try 4000 Cal) and displaying classic “scared to eat” syndrome. I would also question a potential lack of weighted vest adherence as that is half of the program.

Are you just following the program or doing the work with purpose and confidence. I’ve discovered you get back what you put in. I used to just follow a program and sure I got the work done but results were meh. Once I started focusing on getting most out of every rep and committed to the plan with confidence and determination results followed in spades.

You sound defeated, crank up the focus, eat the foods you know you need to perform at your best and accept nothing less than total confidence every time you step up to the bar. You’re using a proven plan, it’s up to you to get the most out of it. Believe in your abilities and go after your goal.

Jesus - eat something. You say you want to be strong but refuse to do what is necessary. Welcome to the world of mediocrity.

@ tsantos, breakfast will be usually 2.5 cups of whole milk with a scoop of Muscle Milk. I will have this along with either 4 eggs + Monterrey jack cheese + pita bread OR a peanut butter sandwich (double stacker) with bananas and honey. I’ll have the customary protein shake with water post workout. I’ll have snacks throughout the day like a Quest bar, nutritional drink, cashews, granola bars, etc. I cap the day with that same 2.5 cups of milk with a scoop of Muscle Milk with dinner (usually consists of some form of white rice plus a meat/chicken/veggie dish).

I did deload (except for 1.1 since the weights were really small and we were given permission to skip the deload).

I start most of my workouts fine. I warm up on the treadmill for about 10 minutes and hop on. I am a little stressed these days, but I’m not sure how big of a factor that plays. Sleep is also fine.

@ StevenDragons, that seems to be the consensus here. Will start out with 4200 next week and see how my body adjusts.

@ Mattyb83, not exactly “scared to eat.” I do have to be mindful of my weight however. I didn’t mention that I also play basketball. While it’s not the highest priority in life anymore, I need to make sure I can still run up and down the court and display some level of athleticism. I bought a weight vest specifically for this program.

@ Beara33, I follow the program with the hopes of getting something out of it and I’m quite excited before each lifting session at the possibility of breaking a new RM. I don’t feel defeated exactly–more like stagnant and I now know why. Thank you for the encouragement.

@ Jim Wendler, duly noted. It was not out of refusal, but rather ignorance on my part. Your article did say to eat, however I was unsure how much of a caloric surplus I should be at. I will start at 4200 next week.

Thank you all for your constructive responses–I really appreciate it.

Do you guys suggest I repeat this program once I am done or try something else for a few weeks? As mentioned, I was planning on doing a hypertrophy phase and then getting right back at this.

I would do the program again, properly this time (Yes, that was a shot) and eat double the calories. THEN you would really know what the program can do for you.

I will give that a shot then. Should I be a stickler as to where my calories are coming from or is it okay to put ice cream in my shakes, eat a bunch of peanut butter, rice, bread (simple carbs basically), etc.?

I added pizza and donuts when I did a challenge, but I’m 42, I tried eating only good food, but got sick frequently trying to digest all the meat and vegetables. Worked out well for me, gained about 7 lbs, around a 50/50 split of fat to lean mass, and I was starting at around 12% bf. Two cycles later, my bf is startin gto drop a little but the weight stays the same

[quote]syriangasol wrote:
I will give that a shot then. Should I be a stickler as to where my calories are coming from or is it okay to put ice cream in my shakes, eat a bunch of peanut butter, rice, bread (simple carbs basically), etc.? [/quote]

Heavy whipping cream, coconut oil in shakes and Butter for food will help with calories.

I find its easier to avoid excessive fat gains without the simple carbs.

I did my heavy deadlift day yesterday and I jokered to 435 and then 445. Here is the video for the 435:

The workout starts at 1:00 (takes me a while to set up the phone and whatnot): https://www.dropbox.com/s/l9f0way316uk2hj/2014-12-06%2007.17.07.mp4?dl=0

I know some rounding of the lower back is okay, but I’m not sure where to draw the line. Is this fine?

[quote]syriangasol wrote:
I did my heavy deadlift day yesterday and I jokered to 435 and then 445. Here is the video for the 435:

The workout starts at 1:00 (takes me a while to set up the phone and whatnot): https://www.dropbox.com/s/l9f0way316uk2hj/2014-12-06%2007.17.07.mp4?dl=0

I know some rounding of the lower back is okay, but I’m not sure where to draw the line. Is this fine? [/quote]

Ass needs to go lower and pull the shoulders back imo

No, this is not fine.

@ The-German, thank you for the advice.

@ nighthawkz, could you elaborate please?