Numbers Good Enough to Compete?

I weight 210 squat 475 bench 290 deadlift 415, would compete in raw with raps and drug tested if numbers are there.

If you can lift the bar, you can compete.

[quote]Candusick wrote:
I weight 210 squat 475 bench 290 deadlift 415, would compete in raw with raps and drug tested if numbers are there.[/quote]

You are the millionth person to ask this question. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a question I asked myself. I would say, “when my squat/bench/deadlift gets to this number, I will do a meet. Are my numbers good enough yet?” I realized I wasn’t asking myself a question, I was making an excuse.

Sign up. You will be nervous as shit but afterward you will wonder why you hadn’t competed sooner, and you will be looking forward to your next.

Yes.

Absofuckinglutely. Go for it.

Thanks everyone for replying looking for some junior level meets (17-19) to get into and will be aiming for some PRs!

[quote]Candusick wrote:
Thanks everyone for replying looking for some junior level meets (17-19) to get into and will be aiming for some PRs![/quote]

Don’t limit yourself to junior. When I competed, we’d have folks from 16-70 lifting, and we cheered them all on. It’s a supportive community.

Do you want to compete? Then do it as soon as you can

Just fucking compete, powerlifting is the most supportive community in sports, just get it done, you’ll love powerlifting even more.

The hardest thing to learn is your only competition is yourself, not anyone else in your weight class.

Sure, you can win a 2 dollar trophy at the end if you get most in your weight, but all that matters is that you crushed your previous PR.

I trained for a bout a year before I competed. Not to get strong enough for my weight class, but to get strong enough for me. I’m a SHW, tossing out a 1300 total is absolutely shit compared to many other people / weight classes, but I did it, and it was the best time I’ve ever had. I hope to get 1500 next meet, and that is all that matters, not where I place, but what I get. I will win my weight class probably, but just because I’m the only fat ass in the SHW class lol.

Your numbers at your weight are great, very respectful, and plenty good.

Put it this way. One kid grinded a 400 lb squat at my meet, really grinded it, the crowd went absolutely nuts, cheering loud, yelling, etc. The next kid weighed less, squated more, but not one cared all that much. Why? Because it was easy for him, you could tell it wasn’t his PR, it wasn’t his 3rd lift, it wasn’t his best. The other guy, he grinded it, the weight wasn’t high, but it was for him, so everyone got into it hard.

I always told myself when I hit these numbers I would compete because I wanted to be competitive. Then I realized my only competition is myself. Why wait to compete if that’s what I want to do. I went into my first meet with 6 months of training with a goal of break 1000 and go 9/9. I hit 1015 and went 9/9 for the day. I was happier with that than the guy who won with a 1600 pound total. I have a number to beat now.

Every time I go into a meet or the gym I know the number I have to beat for the next time. Compete, lay down a base number and go from there. You’re only lifting against yourself and when you realize that the sport becomes so much more fun.