Numbers Bullsh*tters

I think this post needs more highlighting, because it’s a BIG part of what happens in these situations.

People use smith machine numbers as non-smith numbers. Or leg press as squat numbers. Or 1rm calculator results as real 1rms. Or they take their best 400 time and multiply it by 4 to get their mile time. Or bodyfat % measured from a home scale. Etc etc.

6 Likes

I remember a while back seeing my female cousin at a party for the first time in a couple of years. She started talking about how she’d been lifting weights a lot recently and proudly told all the family what she could bench press. At the time I’d just started lifting and had no idea how much it was, everything seemed a lot to me. Anyway when I got home I searched female powerlifting records- turns out she’d have a world record in one of the heavier female classes and she’s only tiny.

Not particularly related to the thread but I find it a funny story and it was the start of people telling me they lifted a lot more than they do.

4 Likes

I once had a young guy brag to me about squatting a fairly substantial weight for a set of 12. Skeptical, I asked him about his technique. “Simple,” he replied. “I squat it 6 times, then put it up and rest a minute. Then I finish the set.”

Ah. Gotcha.

3 Likes

Hah, this just reminded me of a total blast from the past. We used to have a guy on here that went by “BenchPressGorilla” who would put up videos like that ALL the time. He was a strong shirted bencher, don’t get me wrong, but he’d make a post called “500lb bench press for 5 reps”, and it would be a video of 2 doubles and a single. And every single time people would say “That’s a lot of weight dude! But I thought you meant you bench it for 5 reps in a set”, and he’d just ignore it.

I figure he had to be doing it on purpose at one point.

1 Like

The thing is Blubber has calves the size of watermelons, is fat as hell and has his doctor mom inject steroids in his ass for the longest time.

No point in following his lead on training.

I know you’re just trolling like you always do, but doesn’t that Bauber guy front squat 400 for 20?

Can’t deny that’s some beastly shit

3 Likes

Bauber is a fucking beast. I don’t get our friend above at all…

1 Like

In all honesty, what’s there to get?

no he’s not. I’ve seen recent pictures of him.

and what does the size of his calves have to do with anything, particularly the bench press numbers I mentioned?

I didn’t realize it was THAT rare. Good to know. Yea then obviously the mile time is nonsense. The lifts are still reasonable though. They’re good high school lifts, but not on the level that the run would be.

Haters gonna hate.

He’s one of the biggest guys who have ever posted on this site, if not the biggest. Regardless of drug intake. He’s really damn strong for a guy that focuses on size.

Maybe we should send you to jelly school.

2 Likes

Likely all are false! And anyone putting up those numbers doesn’t have a sub-4:00 mile!

Oh god this was my 10 years of bouncing. . .

Honestly if your lifts aren’t on video or in front of 3 judges (and thus available to see on the results section of your federations website) they don’t exist and I just say “that’s awesome” when you tell me.

2 Likes

I consider hospitality to be part of my job, so I agree completely. I sometimes work most of the shift outside where everyone smokes cigarettes AND weed (legal here now), so I spend a lot of time shooting the shit.

When lifting comes up, I do my best to act impressed and I’ve even asked a few guys for advice, which can sometimes produce amusing answers. I try to avoid conflict on the job, and getting into a spat about lifting numbers won’t do me or the bar any favors. I’ve done it before and there’s no point.

Its really the same basic idea as acting interested, or at least un-repulsed, when a drunk chick gets flirty with you. Asking for dumb lifting advice from the guy who’s trying to look tough is just like giving the girl who just rubbed up on you a little ass pat.

Its just customers blowing off steam and having a good time. Harmless fun, so why not play along and maybe even blow a little smoke up their asses? Who cares what they say? It doesn’t affect me one bit.

1 Like

Exactly. If you need to brag feel free, doesn’t bother me at all. It was always nice to talk to someone actually in the iron game (powerlifter, bodybuilder, strongman) didn’t matter just fun to talk to real lifters. Crossfit didn’t exist back then so we had it easy.

But honestly why the hell would I pick a fight or an argument over your imaginary world record? If it makes you feel good to tell me about it go ahead, I won’t remember tomorrow.

I shit you not, a group of meatheads came in two weeks ago and left me a $20 tip simply because I didn’t give them any shit. I just checked ID’s and told them to have a good time. They did, and stayed till close. I firmly believe you shouldn’t get hassled just because you’re good at lifting weights and eating chicken.

But yeah, I know a lot of the serious lifters in the area and it is always cool when one of the local beasts stops in. Fun job.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s always awkward when some one says a big number then later it comes out that it was on a Smith machine or leg press.

Honestly it’s about personal accountability. Theres nothing wrong with having an intermediate number if you honestly earned it. Ive had dudes look at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead when I give them an honest answer about my one rep max

“I’m not sure right now. I haven’t maxed out in a while. I can give you what my one rep max is off a rep calculator, but that’s usually off a little.”

I’d agree, likely all false because someone who is lying about one of there numbers likely is boosting them all up a considerable amount!

Exactly. And despite some high school freak-outliers, most high schoolers do not have those lifts!

Most high school students don’t have those numbers, but I think assuming the lifting numbers to just be lies is pretty ridiculous, because the numbers aren’t outlandish. There are thousands of high school football players putting up these numbers (aside from the run). Any reasonably sized high school is going to have at least 5+ athlete who can hit all these numbers. They’re just not THAT high. I’d assume every starting offensive lineman on my high school team could have hit all 3.

3 Likes