T Nation

Number of Reps

Let me start with an example. Lets say i am doing bench 3-6 reps for 5 sets and i end up doing 22 reps total. On another day i may do bench for 10-12 reps for 3 sets and end up doing 33 reps.

My question is there an better number number of reps for a particular muscle. Because I alternate high and low rep days. This ends up makeing me do very different rep counts.

Thoughts?

In general more reps at a lower intensity(% of 1RM) for hypertrophy and less reps at a higher intensity for strength.

For example 5 x 5 are classic loading parameters for strength. Whereas 10 x 10 is definitely aimed at hypertrophy.

I realize this is a very newb question and i probably know the answer, but i am not familiar with your terminology. What is the 5x5 and the 10x10?

[quote]jakshafter wrote:
I realize this is a very newb question and i probably know the answer, but i am not familiar with your terminology. What is the 5x5 and the 10x10?[/quote]

5 sets 5 reps = 5x5

10 sets 10 reps = 10x10 like GVT

remember to look at the load moved as well very likely could be more on the lower rep day that counts as well
Phill

Check out this link:

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-091-training

It’s not necessarily the end all/be all but it has some good information that pertains to your question. I still use many of these parameters when writing a new program.