Numb Fingers from Hook Grip? Help!

So I started doing Sheiko a little over 2 weeks ago. Since the first deadlift day my thumb and pointer fingers have been numb to different degrees. Recently my middle finger has also become numb. Once I figured it might have something to do with the hook grip I stopped using it, but my fingers are still really numb. Bench press (17 sets) yesterday really seemed to exasperate the issue.

I’ve never had symptoms like this before, I have zero symptoms in my left hand, and I’m really not sure what to do about this. Grip strength-wise my right hand (symptomatic hand) is stronger btw. I may very well go to a doctor Monday or Tuesday if this doesn’t start to clear up.

I suppose I could discontinue my cycle as one person at the gym suggested. I figure that is probably a bit too cautious. If the fingers started to get so fucked I can’t write (I’m a student) then I will discontinue, but nothing short of that. Unless a doctor tells me I am doing permanent damage, then I’d consider discontinuing.

Anyone who has any ideas or any experience with this bullshit please give me feedback.

Thanks,

Matt

My fingers used to get a bit numb when I started using Hook grip on DL, but the numbness was always gone by 1 hr after the session. If the numbness is lingering then definitely see a doctor about it.

If like me it went away soon after the session then just keep at it and eventually your thumb and fingers will get used to it.

The numbness has not gone away for nearly over 2 weeks, it just varies in degree.

I have successfully used the hook grip before, but never with a consistently high volume.

Yeah going to a doctor might be inevitable. I’ve had more luck solving pain problems here though than visiting doctors/physical therapists so maybe someone will come up with a solution in the next couple of days.

So far I’ve tried some scapular exercises, loosening up my neck and eating a bunch of bananas. My numbness has decreased but is definitely still there.

If those fingers are getting numb/painful, you may have an entrapment of the median nerve (carpal tunnel syndrome). Your thumb, index, middle fingers and inside of the ring finger will go numb or have pain. The hook grip would have nothing to do with this, but if you are lifting with your wrist flexed that could be the cause. If it continues, you should see a neurologist and have an EMG performed (I use to do them).

Here’s a guide that explains the condition with treatment options (see if your symptoms fit): http://www.eorthopod.com/public/files/Carpal_Tunnel_Syndrome.pdf

[quote]Ryan71 wrote:
If those fingers are getting numb/painful, you may have an entrapment of the median nerve (carpal tunnel syndrome). Your thumb, index, middle fingers and inside of the ring finger will go numb or have pain. The hook grip would have nothing to do with this, but if you are lifting with your wrist flexed that could be the cause. If it continues, you should see a neurologist and have an EMG performed (I use to do them).

Here’s a guide that explains the condition with treatment options (see if your symptoms fit): http://www.eorthopod.com/public/files/Carpal_Tunnel_Syndrome.pdf [/quote]

I believe this is precisely what is going on, thank you so much! I will read more about it, do some exercises for it, try to take it a touch easier on my grip while still following my program and see how things improve before deciding to see a doctor. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

More likely than entrapment/impingement of the median nerve, I would guess it’s the anterior interossei branch. The AI innervates the muscles used in pinching, which is seen in the hook grip. When I use the hook grip, I also use the double overhand grip. This maximally pronates the forearms and the pronator terres is the primary site for AI entrapment.

The neck always needs to be looked at as a possible site for causing numbness and tingling in the arm and hand.