Null on high protein

I was reading one of Gary Null’s books and, to no surprise, read that he is against a high protein diet. He makes reference to the fact that when broken down, proteins leave nitrogenous (sp?) byproducts behind that are stressful on the liver. Now I know this has been covered before but please don’t flip on me. Any links that discuss this topic in specific? Or an answer.

One more thing. Does anyone else think Gary Null looks kinda like a skeleton? He’s not sick is he?

Hey, there, Wideguy!!!

I wouldn’t worry about Gary too much. He’s coming from a different direction than we’re coming from. He has one single-minded focus/goal: Health. Our goals, on the other hand, are different than Gary Null’s. Our goals are maximizing LBM and manipulation of body composition. Compared to the rest of the population, it might look like we’re taking in high protein. But in reality, we’re taking in SUFFICIENT protein for what we’re asking of our bodies; i.e., increase protein synthesis and LBM, and reduce fat mass.

It just boils down to goals and priorities.

Well then, how “unhealthy” is taking in 400 grams of protein a day? I was always somewhat under the impression that most of the time when these people (like Null) talk about the dangers of high protein diets, they were just going off of outdated ideas.

Bump…TT?

What about all the lifters from the past? Didn’t they take in high amounts of protein? Nothing adverse seems to have happened to them…

Hmm… I’ve got some conflicting messages on this. Both my parents are doctors, both say that the instances of renal failure ocurred only in old, sick people. My dad says that if the proteins are complex and different, no kidney problems no matter how much. My mother, however, says that 2-3x BW in grams (me) will be dangerous after a few years.

Degradation of protein result in ammonium compounds that are excreted through the kidneys, - not the liver.

The myth that this can lead to kidney problems is based research on people who already had reduced kidney function. In these cases, increased workload due to a high protein diet can be dangerous, but there is no data whatsoever to support that this should be the case for otherwise healthy people.

So keep chuggin’ down those steaks !:slight_smile:

Show me the studies on healthy weight training people that GET kidney failure/disease from high protein diets.

Show me one.

Sure the ammonia could be a drama, but like any alkaline/acid situation it can be equalised by an increase in acidic components in your diet. Berardi has recently covered this too. Increased Vege intake and if you really want, vinegar.
Glutamine and AKG are supposible ammonia scavengers. I wouldn’t put my name on this comment tho…

I was always somewhat under the impression that most of the time when these people (like Null) talk about the dangers of high protein diets, they were just going off of outdated ideas.

Wideguy, that’s probably the case, and I think you’re probably right.

Null is just coming from a different direction than we are. I agree with a lot of what he writes, take some of what he says under advisement and disagree with other things he writes. But I don’t agree with 100% of what’s written by different T-Mag contributors, either.

Sorry for the delayed response. I’m out of town and have somewhat limited access.