NROL Question, Hypertrophy I

Hey guys, I’m doing Hypertrophy I from the NROL book, and I’m if anyone else had done it, and tell em what gains they got from it. I have faith in Mr. Cosgrove, but I’m curious to know what I should/may be suspecting in gains.

That’s going to depend on what you put into the program and how you eat!

Eat enough protein and calories and it should work out fine for you.

If you’re not gaining about a pound of bodyweight per week, then its your diet that is the weak link.

Well I got a nice pump and what not. I was doing Workout A on Hypertrophy I, the 2nd workout since I do it 4x a week, (Mon/Tues/Thurs/Friday), and I did the 3x15 30 sec scheme for the upper body. It was hard, but as of right now, I’m like “worked out” I guess you can say. I just hope the program works out for me, because it does get the job done when I’m at the gym. I guess I’m just a bit insecure about it?

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
Well I got a nice pump and what not. I was doing Workout A on Hypertrophy I, the 2nd workout since I do it 4x a week, (Mon/Tues/Thurs/Friday), and I did the 3x15 30 sec scheme for the upper body. It was hard, but as of right now, I’m like “worked out” I guess you can say. I just hope the program works out for me, because it does get the job done when I’m at the gym. I guess I’m just a bit insecure about it?[/quote]

Dude, that’s 30 sec between alternating exercises.

If you’re just using 30 sec for straight sets of 3x15 than the load you are using is way to light for hypertrophy.

Even with alternating exercises 30 seconds is incredibly short (yes, I know, the program is undulating).

[quote]XxMAGxX wrote:
detazathoth wrote:
Well I got a nice pump and what not. I was doing Workout A on Hypertrophy I, the 2nd workout since I do it 4x a week, (Mon/Tues/Thurs/Friday), and I did the 3x15 30 sec scheme for the upper body. It was hard, but as of right now, I’m like “worked out” I guess you can say. I just hope the program works out for me, because it does get the job done when I’m at the gym. I guess I’m just a bit insecure about it?

Dude, that’s 30 sec between alternating exercises.

If you’re just using 30 sec for straight sets of 3x15 than the load you are using is way to light for hypertrophy.

Even with alternating exercises 30 seconds is incredibly short (yes, I know, the program is undulating).

[/quote]

So what do you suggest?

So what do you suggest?

[/quote]

Either:

1. Follow the program exactly as laid out. If you fail to gain weight AND strength then re-evaluate if this program fits your needs.

2. If you have to modify the program by doing straight sets (because I know that at some gyms its nearly impossible to occupy 2 pieces of equipment) then double to triple the rest period.

Because when you alternate between exercises you are supposed to be getting about 90s between the same exercises (calculated as follows: 30s rest + exercise B (about 30 seconds to complete) + 30 seconds rest)

Of course that poses another problem because NROL has tons of sets and your workout will take forever.

Another option you have if you can’t secure two pieces of equipment is to slightly change the exercises.

Instead of a bench + cable row combo, you might want to do bench and bent over rows. Or whatever allows you to “sit” besides both pieces of equipment.

At least this way you can keep the same rest periods and finish your workout in a reasonable time.

[quote]XxMAGxX wrote:
detazathoth wrote:
So what do you suggest?

Either:

1. Follow the program exactly as laid out. If you fail to gain weight AND strength then re-evaluate if this program fits your needs.

2. If you have to modify the program by doing straight sets (because I know that at some gyms its nearly impossible to occupy 2 pieces of equipment) then double to triple the rest period.

Because when you alternate between exercises you are supposed to be getting about 90s between the same exercises (calculated as follows: 30s rest + exercise B (about 30 seconds to complete) + 30 seconds rest)

Of course that poses another problem because NROL has tons of sets and your workout will take forever.

Another option you have if you can’t secure two pieces of equipment is to slightly change the exercises.

Instead of a bench + cable row combo, you might want to do bench and bent over rows. Or whatever allows you to “sit” besides both pieces of equipment.

At least this way you can keep the same rest periods and finish your workout in a reasonable time.
[/quote]

Wait, I think we have a slight misunderstanding, because I do the workouts straight to the letter. I do the alternating sets. What made you think otherwise?

What made you think otherwise?
[/quote]

I’m stupid?

[quote]XxMAGxX wrote:
detazathoth wrote:
What made you think otherwise?

I’m stupid?[/quote]

hey, don’t worry about it, I only started doing deads and squats only since last january. I only did them too while doing an ADVANCE Ian King training program. That’s stupid.

I went through hypertrophy I and II and got some nice gains–in size and leanness. Strength went up considerably–and I’ve been lifting for quite some time. So it was a success for me.

I think you’re right to trust the program as written, short rest periods and all. Sure, conventional wisdom holds that rep schemes above 12 stimulate gains in endurance, not size–but type I fibers DO hypertrophy; just less than Type II’s. So it makes sense to work them with a higher rep scheme once in awhile, as the program suggests. And when you cycle back to the lower rep schemes, you’ll probably find, as I did, that strength gains come very rapidly–and it’s not even one of the “strength” programs.

Wait’ll you get to the 2 X 25 rep schemes in Hyper II. Yowch.

alright, I have renewed faith in the program, 5x5 Squat today. something normal. Woo!