NPC Introduces Men's Physique Division for 2011

Oh no! This will bring more people to bodybuilding and elevate the sport!

Er… wait… thats a good thing.

Board shorts aside, who cares?

If that’s the standard for mens physique, then it doesn’t seem TOO bad. I’m not a fan of the board shorts and feel they should be replaced by those boxer-briefs as to show off some actual upper leg development. All in all, despite the current opinion of many, I don’t think this will be bad in the long run.

I mean shit, honestly I’d probably be more inclined to compete in mens physique than bodybuilding if the standard isn’t a skinny ripped guy.

The funny thing is, I can totally see these guys earning more than their bodybuilding competitor counterparts. Magazines and model agencies are going to be all over this shit within a couple of years.

Going to have to see how it pans out.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
And those guys are not small. [/quote]

Very true and this is an important point. A lot of people on bodybuilding forums make fun of “Men’s Health models” for being “small” whereas in reality they are more muscular than 99% of the board members. Except for the most hardcore gyms in the world, the “small MH models” would stand out and be among the biggest and most muscular guys in almost all gyms.

One of my friends competed in a “model search division” from another federation (FAME/WNSO) and won everything there was to win… then moved back to the CBBF (IFBB canadian division, equivalent of the NPC) and finished 2nd at the Canadian Bodybuilding nationals (light heavy weight) at roughly the same body weight.[/quote]

Normally this is fat people who have never dropped to single digits, haven’t been in this for more than a couple of years and haven’t seen one this guys in person.

[quote]Teledin wrote:
If that’s the standard for mens physique, then it doesn’t seem TOO bad. I’m not a fan of the board shorts and feel they should be replaced by those boxer-briefs as to show off some actual upper leg development. All in all, despite the current opinion of many, I don’t think this will be bad in the long run.

I mean shit, honestly I’d probably be more inclined to compete in mens physique than bodybuilding if the standard isn’t a skinny ripped guy.

The funny thing is, I can totally see these guys earning more than their bodybuilding competitor counterparts. Magazines and model agencies are going to be all over this shit within a couple of years.

Going to have to see how it pans out.[/quote]

Now here enters another genetic atribute that bodybuilding doesn’t consider so much, the face. If you’re ugly, you’re…

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:

[quote]Teledin wrote:

Going to have to see how it pans out.[/quote]

Now here enters another genetic atribute that bodybuilding doesn’t consider so much, the face. If you’re ugly, you’re…
[/quote]

LOL fair statement! :slight_smile:

Maybe I should compete in Men’s physique. One thing for sure is this division Favors the taller competitor with a narrow waist, whereas bodybuilding is a shorter, stockier sport.

better go get my botox injections :slight_smile:

[quote]JN7844 wrote:
Bonez is correct. Basically, they’re looking for your traditional Men’s Health cover model.

Judging Criteria:

• Muscularity and Body Condition
    Judges will be looking for fit contestants who display proper shape and symmetry combined with muscularity and overall condition. This is not a bodybuilding contest so extreme muscularity should be marked down.

• Stage Presence and Personality
    Contestants will be asked to walk in board shorts (shorts must be just above the knee in length and can be one inch below the belly button, no spandex and no logos are permitted on the board shorts however a manufacturerâ??s logo such as Nike symbol or Billabong are acceptable. Competitors will enter the stage without a shirt and barefoot. No lewd acts are allowed. Example: The moon pose. Judges are looking for the contestant with the best stage presence and poise who can successfully convey his personality to the audience.[/quote]

These guys are looking solid.

You can go to the gym all you want, but you can’t train your face.

These guys will attract many more women, because they have the right blend of muscle and face.

Those competitors have great physiques, but I find this division a bit too… metrosexual. It seems like it’s more about being pretty. They aren’t even supposed to do any poses, as far as I understand. Do they just strut around like the bikini competitors?

So no flexing? Just stand there looking GQey and pontificate about solving world hunger? Is there a routine involved?

I have a feeling the men actually doing this won’t look quite like the ones in the sample photo on the previous page but it probably depends who starts winning these. If they favor less muscle there will be a larger difference in this vs bodybuilding.

Better idea:

Stop letting bodybuilders win shows that sacrifice all symmetry and aesthetics to be as massive and grossly-shredded as possible.

Reward proportion, ban diuretics and other conditioning drugs (and actually ENFORCE IT), and then we won’t have to have an entire fagatronic sub-competition that a mainstream audience doesn’t cringe to look at.

Bodybuilding used to be cool on it’s own. It WAS the upper limit of aesthetic bodily perfection, as recent as the 90s. And a few decades ago, they didn’t wear sparkly thongs either… they wore ordinary posing trunks.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Yes, most of the actual models are way bigger than some newbs give them credit for and they trained like “bodybuilders” to do it.[/quote]

Definitely - bodypart splits and all.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Better idea:

Stop letting bodybuilders win shows that sacrifice all symmetry and aesthetics to be as massive and grossly-shredded as possible.

Reward proportion, ban diuretics and other conditioning drugs (and actually ENFORCE IT), and then we won’t have to have an entire fagatronic sub-competition that a mainstream audience doesn’t cringe to look at.

Bodybuilding used to be cool on it’s own. It WAS the upper limit of aesthetic bodily perfection, as recent as the 90s. And a few decades ago, they didn’t wear sparkly thongs either… they wore ordinary posing trunks.[/quote]

I think the mid-90s is when shit just got out of control. Look at the guys from back in the days, even up to the early 90s. Granted they were juiced, but they didn’t look as grotesque as some of the pros of this mellenium.

Look at some old timers, some of whom were IFBB top dogs:

Lee Haney
Casey Viator
Sergio Oliva
Arnold
Tom Platz (maybe not best symmetry and aesthetics)
Serge Nubret
Dorian Yates
Gary Strydom
Sammir Banout

All these guys were huge AND symmetrical AND/OR didn’t look like NYC Bodies Exhibits. Eveb mass monsters like Gary Strydom and Mike Francois came in with waspy waists.

Hey remember when bodybuilding was about building a great, athletic and sexy body?

I dont see why some people see this as a big deal. If they dont want them to show legs, what does it matter? Still takes a lot of time to get to that kind of development for most people.

I’d be very interested to see how this looks in a few years time, it has potential for sure.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Better idea:

Bodybuilding used to be cool on it’s own. It WAS the upper limit of aesthetic bodily perfection, as recent as the 90s. And a few decades ago, they didn’t wear sparkly thongs either… they wore ordinary posing trunks.[/quote]

Diuretics and cutting drugs aren’t the problem.

To be honest with you, If you know what you are doing, and avoid lasix (if you don’t know what you are doing), using diuretics is much safer than that crap shoot alot of prep coaches put their athletes through of water loading sodium depletion e.t.c.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Better idea:

I think the mid-90s is when shit just got out of control. Look at the guys from back in the days, even up to the early 90s. Granted they were juiced, but they didn’t look as grotesque as some of the pros of this mellenium.

Lee Haney
Casey Viator
Sergio Oliva
Arnold
Serge Nubret
Dorian Yates
Gary Strydom
Sammir Banout

All these guys were huge AND symmetrical AND/OR didn’t look like NYC Bodies Exhibits. Eveb mass monsters like Gary Strydom and Mike Francois came in with waspy waists. [/quote]

… This. Beat me to it, lol

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Better idea:

Lee Haney
Casey Viator
Sergio Oliva
Arnold
Serge Nubret
Dorian Yates
Gary Strydom
Sammir Banout

All these guys were huge AND symmetrical AND/OR didn’t look like NYC Bodies Exhibits. Eveb mass monsters like Gary Strydom and Mike Francois came in with waspy waists. [/quote]

two compounds became widely used:

Slin, and GH.

That changed physiques.

Personally I think the board shorts look dumb! They take away from the guys physiques.

Are the faces being judged, I don’t know? But if we take the following judging criteria we can ‘assume’ they will be!

“Presentation: Competitors will walk to the center of the stage alone and perform quarter (1/4) turns with optional pose of hand on hip or hand in pocket, face the judges as directed then proceed to the side of the stage”.

Now if you happen to look like Freddy Krueger and you are standing next to someone that looks like Brad Pitt you’re rightly screwed or at least your chances are diminished. This is even more evident if the judging criteria for physique is so limited in respects to the poses required.

As an alternative (with similarities) I have always liked the idea of the competition that exile-swede competed in. He posted here in 2008, check out the link

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/pictures_pics_photo_body_image_performance/shredding_swedish_meat_cutting_for_competition?id=1478463&pageNo=0

Here are some examples sans those dopey board shorts

I could see how a Mens Physique Comp would appeal to the greater masses and in turn attract more business…

More money, agreed.