T Nation

Now I Want Aesthetics

Just some background info. I began lifting when I was 16 got decently big then after an injury gave up lifting and became skinny fat. I began lifting again 7 months ago and primarily on slow progression strength gains. My volume wasn't high but the weight was usually very heavy. I understand if I wanted to get buffer I should have increased the volume and rep range. However my muscles feel much fuller and dense than ever
Before. I'm about to begin training for aesthetics soon so i'd like your opinion on where I should begin first. Thanks in advance

7 months ago

Now

Do 5/3/1.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Do 5/3/1.[/quote]

Isn’t that program primarily for strength gains? I want to actually fill out shirts now and look I lift lol.

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on how to train for your goals.

Sarcasm? ^

5/3/1 has it’s “Boring But Big” version, as well as several other iterations slanted towards hypertrophy.

Buy the book. Best 10 bucks you’ll ever spend in your lifting career.

You are the quintessential antithesis of your username.

So any serious advice?

How much weight have you gained in the last 7 months?
How much strength?

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
How much strength?[/quote]

I gained about 17-20 lbs of mass.

Starting lifts
B-145lbs
S-185lbs
D-275lbs

Ending Just maxed out this week
B-245lbs
S-385lbs
D-425lbs

[quote]Justliftbrah wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

Starting lifts
B-145lbs
S-185lbs
D-275lbs

B-245lbs
S-385lbs
D-425lbs [/quote]

Do you feel those are poor gains for 7 months lifting?

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

Starting lifts
B-145lbs
S-185lbs
D-275lbs

B-245lbs
S-385lbs
D-425lbs [/quote]

Do you feel those are poor gains for 7 months lifting?[/quote]

Let me see I added 100lbs to my bench. More than doubled my squat. Finally hit a 4 plate deadlift. All while gaining about 20lbs of mass. Strength yes. Size no.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Do 5/3/1.[/quote]

Isn’t that program primarily for strength gains? I want to actually fill out shirts now and look I lift lol. [/quote]

Do 5/3/1.

Let me see I added 100lbs to my bench. More than doubled my squat. Finally hit a 4 plate deadlift. All while gaining about 20lbs of mass. Strength yes. Size no. [/quote]

I’d say you’ve done well on both. I think 5/3/1 will always give you the results you want at your level f you can commit to it, but it sounds like you have problems with this. I like Mass Made Simple, including all the nutritional guidelines (apart from maybe the PB and J sandwiches) for many reasons. Have a look at it and see what you think.

Sarcasm? ^[/quote]

Nope. You know what will and will not accomplish your goals. Do what will work.

As has been stated, there are versions of 5/3/1, such as BBB, that are specifically designed for hypertrophy. People who commit to the program and eat big have gained both size and strength. If it’s not a template you’d commit to, go up to the top and search the articles section for training programs specifically designed for mass. Remember that you’re going to need to get your nutrition in order and start eating big too, and again, there are plenty of articles that lay out how this should be done if you’re not sure exactly what a proper bulking regiment needs to look like.

I am genuinely surprised that you think strength and, er, ‘aesthetics’ have to be mutually exclusive. Do 531 - which simply means to keep four lifts in your program which you will train for strength - and then add meaningful assistance work in higher rep ranges. Simple.

Now
http://i.imgur.com/O27FvaI.png [/quote]
You look a bit smaller here than in your “arm genetics” thread the other week. Weird.

Great work on the strength progress. +200 pounds on your squat in 7 months is, like, nice. Especially weighing 180-something at 6 feet.

That’s one way about it. But, at the end of the day, size comes from food. Without eating enough (or really more than enough), there will be no muscle gains. Pretty sure that’s been your issue for a while.

5/3/1 is a solid, reliable, and versatile program without a doubt, but there’d be nothing wrong with you doing a straight-up “bodybuilding split” or hypertrophy focused plan for 12 weeks or so.

Again though, it’s worth repeating that if you don’t eat plenty, you’ll waste your time.

Size will come in time. Secure your lifts, bad form will hold you back.