T Nation

Now I Need Computer Help

I am not exactly network savy. I can set up small networks - like the one in my office. But when something goes wrong I have no idea how to troubleshoot it. I am in such a pickle right now, and I am hoping that the geek factor on here is high enough to help me out.

One of my comnputers here at the office is not allowed to see files on any other computer. I don't know how this came to be as the computer in question must have access to the other files in order for us to do any work. Whenever I attempt to access another computer, I get an error message that reads:

[b]You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of theis server to find out if you have access permission

Log failure: The user has not been granted the requested log on type at this computer. [/b]

So then I run the network troubleshooter and I get the following result:
[b]The user does not have permission to log on locally to the telnet server computer.

The soulution: Insure that the user or group the user belongs to (such as the telnet users group) has the right to log on locally. Insure that the user is not denied the right to log on locally[/b]

Can anyone please translate this and tell me how to fix this thing? I am pulling my hair out over here.

Bloody liberal computers;-)

More seriously, this sounds like an issue in the server firewall. Try to ensure that your computer is listed among those with the necessary permissions to access the server. You can probably copy the settings from a computer that works.

Good luck.
TQB

What operating systems are you using? Did it work previously?

What version of Windows are you on? (I am assuming you are on Windows, mind you). I am guessing you might be on 2000 and if so, do you know if someone in the office is set up with the admin rights?

How are you trying to access another computer on the network? Are you trying to access their map drive? Or do you go to your network neighborhood and click on their computer icon? Make sure you are the administrator or have permission set on your account to access that computer. Do you need a password to access that computer? If it's just a workgroup, you need that computer user name and password. Password might of expired.

I apologize for the lack of pertinent info.

I am running XP Home. I have a Belkin 4 port Cable/DSL Gateway router.

We have been networked since 2000, using various methods. We have been using Ehternet since 2002. We just got DSL in this jerkwater town last November, and at that time a got the Belkin router.

Things were working fine until 09/01/05. I checked the failure audits in the Admin Tools, and it shows where the computer in question had made numerous requests since 09/01 but was denied becasue of the reasons I listed previously.

I deleted the mapped drives, but before I did trying to open them would give an error. Now when I try to access other computers through the "view workgroup computers" I get a message as well.

All users are set as Admins. It's a very small office - so there's no need to restrict access.

I hope this provides more useful info than my first post did.

I'm hijacking this thread and hope I don't get stomped.

My home computer (pent 4, dell, Win XP home ed) won't let me open links. If I try to open any of the links within a thread nothing happens. I have all the requisite media players. I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff. If some of you have some mercy and aren't offended by the hijack, I would love some feedback. Thanks.

hahahahaha, serves you right RJ, come to a Geek with 1 computer question, and they return with 50.

Atleast your not still in the middle of your PCT, or this problem would have been ten times brutal.

You're going to have me chuckling all day buddy.

Simple solution to getting a nice network going: use linux :wink:

Yeah, yeah, linux isn't for everybody, but damn if it isn't easy to set up a network!

Can you ping ip addresses across the network?

Let me channel my Silicon Valley Uber-Geek persona...

Can you confirm that the same user you're logging in as in that computer will have access to the network resources if he logs in from another computer?

The fact that you can browse proves there's network connectivity, and the fact that you can access it from other PCs proves it's specific to the client PC. But you might want to try to use the "ping" command in the cmd line, as suggested above, to make sure. There's also this cool software, at http://www.softperfect.com/ that can help you. It's called "Softperfect Network Scanner" and it's free.

Several things you might want to try:

1. Swap cables in the Ethernet switch on the Belkin
  2. Find out what might be different on that computer:

a) Compare the output of a "ipconfig /all" issued on the command line (Start -> Run -> cmd, then "ipconfig /all"). Is anything -- other than the IP address -- different?
b) Compare the Windows Firewall configuration. Is that client blocking anything specific?
c) Make sure it's not specific to the user you're logging in as
d) Make sure the entries on the Network Adapter's properties look the same (same items used by network connection)
e) Make sure the System (Control Panel -> System) properties look the same, and all the machines have the same Service Pack level
f) Compare Microsoft Updates on Add/Remove Programs -- it might have been a funky MS update that screwed it up

If all that fails, let me know...

What error messages are you getting?

Shameless Futurama quote follows...Everytime I hear the user/admin conversation come up I can't help but picture it. :smiley:

Judge: Thank you, prosecutor. I will now consider the evidence.

[He begins to consider. A blue bar moves across his screen.]

Fry: Hey, wait a minute! Isn't anyone going to defend us?

Leela: Yeah! I mean he might not have a case but I'm genuinely not a human.

Robot Mayor: Quiet, human!

[The judge stops considering. A prompt box shows up on his screen: Sorry A System Error Occured [Restart] The court gasps in shock.]

Robot Bailiff: Uh-oh! He froze up again!

Robot Mayor: Try control alt delete.

Robot #1: Jiggle the cord.

Robot #2: Turn him off and on.

Robot #3: Clean the gunk out of the mouse.

Fry: Call technical support.

Robot Bailiff: OK, OK, he's back online.

Judge: I find the defendants - guilty!

This is most likely a problem with the username/password, so start there:

-Has the password on the errant computer changed?

-Is NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled in the TCP/IP Proerties on all computers?

-Are all machines XP? please enumerate the PCs on your network along with the OS they are running.

-Have you checked the Windows Firewall settings on the affected computers?

-Has any software been installed recently on the errant computer?

Rainjack,

Do you have different people logging in on each machine... a different username?

Did you simply create "shared" folders on one or more computer so that it could act as a server to the others?

Are all of your computers getting IP addresses via DHCP (from the gateway router) or are they assigned manually?

I'm thinking you may want to check the permissions of the shared resources... see if grants are specified individually or if the resources are completely available to anybody on the (same) network.

Sounds like a computer voodoo doll.

Quick kill a chicken while singing Sergeant Peppers Lonely Harts Club Band.

is the computer you are trying to access files on an Administrator level user?? Users from Power User down on will not be able to access files on other systems. Furthermore, most computers "C" drive or specific folders in it will not be accessible over a network for obvious security reasons.(crucial info on that drive)

XP Home is a pain in the ass when it comes to networking. If it's in the budget, you should consider upgrading to XP Pro. It's much easier to set up a local area network, you don't have to use the hideous "simple file sharing" that MS thinks is easier, and the tools are better.

Regardless, be sure that the same user name and password that you are using on your local machine also exists on the machine you are trying to connect to.

No - there's only one username on the computer in question. We don't use any passwords, so it is username only.

Yes. We are not a big enough outfit to need a 'real network' - simple file and print sharing is all the network we have ever really used.

Yes - I have checked to make sure we are using DHCP.

How do I check permissions? I get tons of error messages telling me that the computer in question doesn't have permission, but I'l be damned if I can figure out how to grant permissions.

I know there's probably a very simple process to set/reset permissions - I just have no freaking idea how to find it.

bump