Novice Strongman Contest in NC, Sept 25

This is the perfect strongman contest for beginners. The Strongest Man at the Y will be held Sept 25, 2010 at the Salisbury, NC YMCA. Events:

-bus pull
-Atlas stones (180lb, 235, 250)
-tire flip (600lb tire)
-farmer’s walk (about 100lb per hand)
-Fingal Fingers

Weight classes:

under 175
176-210
211-250
251 & up

Entry fee is $25. I’ve done this contest before, it’s well run and a good time. All the events are light, so may not be much fun for you experienced guys, this is more of a intro to strongman event. For more info contact Kenny Seagle at (704) 636 0111 ext 223, email kseagle@rowanymca.com

Salisbury, NC YMCA http://www.rowanymca.com/branches/salisbury/

828 Jake Alexander Blvd West
Salisbury, NC 28144

Newspaper article from last year’s event

http://www.salisburypost.com/News/081709-Strongman-competition

Thomas Bowman, maker of Tommy Tack strongman tacky will be there and he’s supplying his tacky free for everyone to use on the stone event.

Aug 23, 2010 around 6pm I will be helping Kenny promote the contest at the University YMCA in Charlotte, NC. Implements will be there for ANYONE to come try out, this practice session is to increase interest among potential competitors. I’ll bring some stone tacky so guys can have at the Atlas stones.

University City Branch YMCA
8100 Mallard Creek Road
Charlotte, NC 28262-2238
(704) 716-6700

This looks like a lot of fun. I don’t have much experience with strongman type events, but my roommate and I are thinking about heading over there from Raleigh to give it a try. What’s the signup deadline?

[quote]stevenh wrote:
This looks like a lot of fun. I don’t have much experience with strongman type events, but my roommate and I are thinking about heading over there from Raleigh to give it a try. What’s the signup deadline?[/quote]

I hope you guys can make it out, it’ll be a fun experience! You’ll learn a lot by competing in strongman, like where your weakness is. There’s not a deadline, but more people have showed interest this year, so by signing up now you’ll insure your place in the contest.

The only part of NC I am familiar with is Elon/Burlington area, how far away is the event? I hope I can make it, been looking for something like this.

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:
The only part of NC I am familiar with is Elon/Burlington area, how far away is the event? I hope I can make it, been looking for something like this.[/quote]

Salisbury is only about 1 hr 10 min from Elon. Straight down I-85.

[quote]Hog Ear wrote:

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:
The only part of NC I am familiar with is Elon/Burlington area, how far away is the event? I hope I can make it, been looking for something like this.[/quote]

Salisbury is only about 1 hr 10 min from Elon. Straight down I-85. [/quote]

Excellent, thank you.

Leave the sissy mentality back in Charlottesville though.

Farmer’s walk handles made simple http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/TITEFW.htm

In this contest a frame (basically a trap bar) will be used, this is easier to control than FW handles.

[quote]MusselQuest wrote:
Leave the sissy mentality back in Charlottesville though.[/quote]

Ill do my best, no promises though

Reminder: open practice is Monday, Aug 23, 6pm at the University YMCA in Charlotte!

University City Branch YMCA
8100 Mallard Creek Road
Charlotte, NC 28262-2238
(704) 716-6700

There will be 4 open practice days before the contest- Sept 15, 16, 21, & 23. All will be at the Salisbury Y and will be in the late afternoon.

Roll call! Who’s considering competing?

I’m in will be at practices too.

The first open practice days will be Sept 15 & 16- Wen and Th- next week. Hope some of you can make it!

Thanks for the Advertising on my TOMMY TACK! I have 3-4 guys coming from our crew currently. I will be bringing tacky to use for stones, sell for future use and giving away as prizes. I also have a substantial amount of Strongman implements personally and anyone is welcome to train with us on training days…which typically is a weekend. I have stones, yoke, tires, farmers, kegs, odd stones, sled for dragging, harness, log press, axle and barbells and 1000+ of plates.

Thomas Bowman ncstrongman@gmail.com 3363503727

See you all Sept 25

Any idea how many entries. A friend and I are planning to come from Washington NC. We have no experience what so ever.

[quote]RandyMoore wrote:
Any idea how many entries. A friend and I are planning to come from Washington NC. We have no experience what so ever. [/quote]

No idea unfortunately. A lot of guys talk about entering, but never show. Last year only 13 guys total competed, it was a weak turnout, but everyone had fun. I’m guessing 25-30 this year. Look forward to meeting you!