Novice Lifter with Competitive Powerlifting in Mind

Fairly new to lifting,somewhere in the 8-9 month range, 17 years old. I’ve been following the 5/3/1 program for a couple cycles and its been great. Obviously, after getting to the point where I can lift a respectable amount, I plan to compete in raw powerlifting meets.

Would it be best I follow the “off season” template in the 5/3/1 for powerlifting book until I find a meet to compete in, or should I continue to move along with the regular 5/3/1 + BBB for now? I realize that both programs follow the same principles and the difference between each is only few variables so this question might even be irrelevant.

Keep rolling along with the program you’re on now and make tweaks as you go. Find a meet that’s a few months away and go ahead and sign up! Having a set date will keep you accountable. It doesn’t matter if you think the weights you move are respectable or not - it’s respectable to simply step on the platform and compete. It takes guts to put yourself on the line and risk failure with more than just your training partner watching. Just get a total - then you’ll have numbers to continue chasing! Have fun and get after it.

Do what you will in the offseason but he has the 8 weeks pre-meet lined up perfectly in the 5/3/1 for powerlifting book. It lays out how to train to peak, what singles to hit leading up, how to choose your attempts, etc. with a pretty clear explanation for everything.

Thanks for responding guys, I appreciate it. I guess wanting “respectable numbers” going into the meet is an ego thing hahhahah