T Nation

Novice DL

my best is only 350. how often should i pull? i wanna get 4 plates

I pull once a week and I’m pulling around 475lbs. This is about 100lbs on what I had a year ago, so just keep lifting and, assuming you’re eating enough and you remember to bring your balls to the gym, you’ll get above 4 plates soon enough.

[quote]phatphit wrote:
my best is only 350. how often should i pull? i wanna get 4 plates[/quote]

A good place to start is to pick a program (5x5, 531, whatever) and stick to it and do it exactly as prescribed. You’re a novice and gains will come quickly. Welcome.

if you want to focus on deads there is the coan/phillipi program.

i did 5/3/1 for 3 months, coan/phillipi, then switched to every other week and mostly did variations for 3 months and had some times where i had no plan other then do something heavy and went from 325 to 465 in just over a year.

im currently pulling every 2 weeks (usually snatch grip deads) with 1 heavy then 1 speed day using reverse bands. low box squats and power cleans at least once a week as well as facepulls twice a week.

thanks for the input

its funny that doing “scary” deads over 315 at a commercial gym will get you looks, but you are really just beginning the journey.

I DLed once a week on Sundays with front squats, hip thrusts, leg curls and a leg press/calf raise finisher as accessoris, but with a sort of DL-focused upper body pull day on Thursdays, and got to 405 about 2 years ago.

Something that broke my plateaus was taking an entire papa johns pizza to the dome on sunday nights.

2 years later without DLing much, im 2 weeks into trying to use the same technique to hit 500. If I dont get over 435+ tomorrow, there will be an 8 topping large pizza with my name on it and garlic butter on the side!

Plan C is to up frequency if progress stalls or Poppa Johns changes their specials

[quote]milktruck wrote:
Something that broke my plateaus was taking an entire papa johns pizza to the dome on sunday nights.

2 years later without DLing much, im 2 weeks into trying to use the same technique to hit 500. If I dont get over 435+ tomorrow, there will be an 8 topping large pizza with my name on it and garlic butter on the side!
[/quote]

I like your style. A very delicious way to increase your pull.