Novaeer's Training Log: On the Comeback Trail

Squats and bench look really solid.

Your bench looks really strong.

Thanks guys.

HTS Week 3 Day 3
May 28th

Box squat w/ average bands 205x5x2 (no belt)
2" deficit deadlift 405x1;425x1;445x1;460x1
DB rows 100x2x12
Shrugs 300x2x20
Lat pulldowns 3x12
Leg curls 3x25
Timed DB presses (w/ 5 count pause) 60s for 1:25

Summary: First time squatting against bands in almost 3 years and didn’t go too badly. I was able to fire off the box pretty well on every rep, which was surprising since I used to struggle with that. My all-time PR on deficit DLs is 485 so I thought getting 460 was a sign of good things to come. I’m getting stronger on the DB rows, too, so some extra upper back strength might help my other lifts. Rest of the assistance work I flew through, but I’ll be damned that those timed DB presses were a test of intestinal fortitude.

Notice the audience I had for the deadlifting :smiley:

OOoOOoHH ! THat doggie! So cute!! WHat is his/her name? I could just hug the baajeezus outta that thing, aweee.

P.S. nice lifting, etc, etc…

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
OOoOOoHH ! THat doggie! So cute!! WHat is his/her name? I could just hug the baajeezus outta that thing, aweee.

P.S. nice lifting, etc, etc… [/quote]

LOL, thanks. Her name is Tasha. She’s a 4 1/2 year old Keeshond.

Nice deadlifting Novaeer. I love the grip it and go form and wish I could make myself do the same.

saw the hijack in Git’s log, thanks for the invite for advice w/the gear…I train with a good group of guys whom normally steer me in the right direction, but I appreciate it.

I’m just getting caught up on your log. That was a solid meet you had, congrats on the 1300 lbs. raw total. Keep up the solid work.

Deloaded this past week. Nothing worth mentioning. Home and work have been hectic these past couple of weeks and the latter will remain that way through the end of the week. I even have to work this Saturday. Scoff Oh the indignity. LOL.

HTS Week 5 Day 1
June 6th

Box squats 325x5x2
Pause squats 295x2x5
Seated band abductions dbl minix3x12
Ab pulldowns 3x8
Good mornings 155x3x8
Dimel DLs 165x2x15
Band leg curls few sets for some reps

Summary: First day of work after a deload and didn’t go too badly. I’m in the prep phase of the CBL diet, so my carbs have been very, very low since last Friday. My body is adjusting pretty well to it because at no point did I feel like I was going to yak or pass out. Box squats still feel a little foreign to me after only doing a couple of times in the past few years, but all in all the sets went well and I kept rest periods to a minimum. I haven’t pause squatted this much in about a year, yet these moved pretty easily. Crowded in the gym today so I had to re-order my assistance work some.

HTS Week 5 Day 2
June 8th

2-board bench press 285x5x3;315x2
Dead bench press 235x5x1
DB Incline Press 70x2x15
JM Press Hanging 25# plates 4x10
Scap retractions
Pushdowns
Curls

Summary: Had a scare with my left shoulder this morning. I was startled by the alarm clock going off and I ended up getting up awkwardly on my left side and somehow my shoulder subluxed. I gave out a low-level “augggghhh” and I instantly thought “damn it, I’m not going to be able to bench tonight”, lol. Well a little advil, stretching and moving around made everything all better and it didn’t bother me at all the entire day. Phew!! Crisis averted.

The board press work ended up being pretty easy so I paused every rep for a second or so to raise the degree of difficulty a bit. I haven’t done the dead benches for a while, but the 235 wasn’t too hard to get started off the pins and I kept the rest between singles to 15-30 seconds. In all honesty, the JM presses with the hanging 25# plates was the hardest exercise of all. Keeping that bar stable was a bitch. Good stuff, although it doesn’t take the sting out of having to work at my company’s board meeting in DC tomorrow. :frowning:

Very impressive lifting dude…your vids were great…and holy shit I have a keeshond as well…her name is Dutchess shes about 6

Thanks for the words. Are you going to be posting videos for Adam to critique?

How about that, another Kees household in the forum!?! Very nice. How big is she? Ours is a beast for a female (50 pounds) and she’s not tubby either. Her dad was at the European limit for the breed standard, ~65 pounds, which explains why she is so big compared to most females. And boy can she bark, lol.

Yes I am, Ill be giving him vids every week, Ill be posting some in my log as well.

My girl is 40lbs which I think is the average size for females. I like to joke that she is my mistress because she follows me everywhere and is always in bed with me. The barking can be annoying but it also makes them good watch dogs. IMO its a perfect size dog with a very good temperment. She is great with my daughter friendly but not overly friendly with strangers and she thinks Im the best what else could I want!

HTS Week 5 Day 3
June 10th

Olympic pause speed squats 225x5x2
Deadlift 365x5,405x5,385x5 (no belt);425x3 (belted)
SLDLs 185x3x8 +quaded micro mini bands
DB rows 120x13(R),12(L)
Shrugs 315x20
Pulldowns 3x12
Leg curls 4x15
Pushdowns mini band for 200 total reps (ouchie)

Summary: I was running on absolute carb fumes for this session, so I was worried that I might not survive it–not to mention the fact that the garage was Africa hot yesterday. Everything turned out OK and not once did I have that lightheaded feeling so I think I’ve adjusted well to CBL.

I like doing some kind of squat variation before deadlifts even if it’s a light-ish weight because I feel much more warmed up heading into pulls. The DLs moved with some decent bar speed, though things began to slow down some for the 425x3. Doing the SLDLs against the micro minis was cool and really taxes the grip at lockout. Out of everything, I’ve never experienced anything more horrible than having to get through 200 total reps of pushdowns. Why, Adam, why?1? I only used a mini band and it still seemed like I had dipped my arms in lava they were burning so badly. At least I’ll have some hawt triz to show off at the beach come vacation time, lol.

Just found this log, I will be following. Also, Carb Backloading is awesome.

HTS Week 6 Day 1
June 13th

Box squat 275x8x2 (no belt)
Good mornings 155x3x10
Seated band abductions (light band) 3x12
Dimel DLs 185x2x15
Ab pulldowns
Seated band leg curls 6x15

Summary: Didn’t have quite the pop on box squats this week, but still had decent bar speed even sans belt. Moved through the assistance work pretty quickly, though once again was forced into moving around the order of exercises. That’s not a big deal, but is it too much to ask all of these donkeys at commercial gyms to have at least a little bit of spatial awareness. Personal space or buffer zones for doing an exercise appear to be foreign to these nudniks. For shit’s sake people will walk within an inch of the rack while I’m squatting or nearly brush the end of the bar while I’m benching. Arrrrrghhh!!!

LOL! I hear that…Like the asshat in my vid who sees my flip camera yet decides to stretch out his back for his extreme curl set!

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
LOL! I hear that…Like the asshat in my vid who sees my flip camera yet decides to stretch out his back for his extreme curl set![/quote]

Seriously, wtf is wrong these people. Yesterday, this girl pushes a roll-away bench all the way up against the power rack. Then she proceeds to do split squats on it. Not a big deal except for the fact that she was doing them where her trailing leg was right in the bar path. If some fluke accident had occurred and I, or my training partner, lost the bar, her very nice leg would have snapped like a toothpick.

HTS Week 6 Day 2
June 15th

Bench press 275x3x3;275x8 (crap)
Incline bench 175x2x12
JM Press 25s hanging 3x8
Scap retractions 3x15
Pushdowns (average band) 5x15
Curls 75x3x10

Summary: Not what I would call a great day. Weight didn’t feel heavy (only 275 after all), but I just was completely zapped on rep #8 after cranking through the first seven without any serious strain at all. Meh. I was supposed to do incline db, but since I don’t have enough small plates to make 2 80# dumbbells I figured using a straight bar was a decent compromise. I flew through the assistance work had good pumpz in teh gunzz.