NOV Program to Run Indefinitely...Seeking All-Round Awesomeness

Jim…Really looking forward to the new book, I get the idea of the way training can seamlessly flow together tilting the weight of emphasis to one goal or another…but…I love the idea of the original NOV template and am going to run this version continuesly for the foreseeable future. If this is run 3 days a week would you say it’s good to go or any slight tweaks?

Everyday:
100 band pull aparts
Mobility work

SQUAT
Agile 8

Rope jumps 5x100/Chins 50-100
Jumps 3x5/Chins 50-100

Warm up 3 x 40%, 50%, 60%/Dips 50-100

Main 351 lift with PR set/Abs 50-100

Conditioning: choose
Prowler - 10 x 40 yard sprint, Hills, Run 1 mile
Run big hill, Rope jumps

BENCH
Agile 8

Throws 3x5/Chins 50-100

Warm up 3 x 40%, 50%, 60%/Push ups 50-100

Main 351 lift with PR set/Back ext 50-100

Run big hill, Rope jumps

DEAD
Agile 8

Jumps 3x5/Chins 50-100

Main 351 lift with PR set/Abs 50-100

Run big hill, Rope jumps

PRESS
Agile 8

Throws 3x5/Chins 50-100

Main 351 lift with PR set/Back ext 50-100

Run big hill, Rope jumps

4 meals a day
250-300g protein a day (I’m 16-17 stone)
4+ lts water a day
Fruit or Veg at every meal
Carbs as hunger permits

Sleep loads
Make love
Slay dragons and fight bears

What do you think?

I see no replies yet. Where did you find this program? I like the layout.

It’s pretty much the old NOV template but just the way I put it together.
My reasoning behind it was that I want a way to train thats nice a simple, that covers all areas of strength, conditioning etc, and one that I don’t have to change/think about to much. I asked as it seems the way 531 has evolved Jim doesn’t seem to reccomened templates as such, more total programming. I’m just a pretty busy guy with work, kds etc, and where I am in my life I just want to slowly improve everything, get stronger, fitter, agile etc etc. I think this template does that.
I’m not really after being the strongest guy in the world, or the biggest, or fittest etc…I just want to be an all round human fit for life…
I suppose my question was, is it a good idea to just run this NOV template indefinitely? Or to go towards the new way of programming which is smoothly gliding from one emphasis to another. Not sure if all that makes sense. It does in my head! Anyway how do you run your training at present then?

1 Like

This is something I planned on trying too, adding conditioning work at the end of the workout, rotating between timed mile runs, intervals, enhanced interval training (see never gymless book), rowing ergo meter and loaded carries. With 4 training sessions per week, I plan on doing a conditioning finisher, unless recovery dictates otherwise, but at least 3 workouts.

I didn’t know there was a NOV program. I’m familiar with the more recent programs, through T-Nation and Black Iron Beast but never came across this one.
I’m 52, have been lifting for over half my life, and still prefer full body programs. That’s one thing I like about this one.
I will occasionally run a CT program, a blend of strength and hypertrophy, because, at my age, I need to do what I can to build/keep both. This addresses that aspect. And, bonus, built in progression via 5/3/1.

NOV is a training template that has you go through the workout in the following order: mobility/warm up, strength work, assistance work, and conditioning. Depending on your current focus, you would emphasis one aspect over the other, but never completely neglect the others.

1 Like

This is close to the ‘NOV template AKA Train Like A Motherfucker’ on Jim’s forum. I ran that for quite a while and it’s great. I don’t see why you couldn’t run it indefinitely, tbh.

Only thing I’d note is that I don’t see any rows. Row.

1 Like

I’ve scanned over this in the book many time and never really looked closely at it. This thread has inspired me to give it another look and I’m excited to give it a try, so thanks!

Curious if anyone has run this for a while and what results you’ve had with it. Thanks.

I see Jim never replied but I was wondering if you trotted this program out for the last few weeks and what kind of results you’ve had. Also, how long are the sessions taking? I’ve adapted something similar, based on the structure you laid out, and I’m running right about two hours. A little longer than I would like.

@nickshort
I see you haven’t been on these boards since August. If you’re still around, as I posted a couple months ago, did you ever follow through with this program? If so, how’s it treating you?

Bump to see how this went

@mikepleavin
I’m guessing he either didn’t follow through or he doesn’t participate on these boards anymore.
For what it’s worth, I’ve been doing it for the last month or so and finding it to be extremely complete. Strength, hypertrophy, conditioning, agility, power. Really, what more can you ask for?

1 Like

I don’t believe any program should be run forever - I just answered a similar question but the point is - you will change, your goals will change and your training MUST change. Hell, even if you are training for the same goal, your training MUST change. It’s the one constant in training, so to speak.

I HIGHLY advise that you stick with solid principles and work within those principles. Shit is always evolving - you, your training, you mind, etc. Don’t limit yourself with “one program” as this is horribly limiting. And you always end up trying to do everything, all the time, all at once: this doesn’t work no matter who you are.

Hell, what I’d recommend for people two years ago is not even close to what I recommend today. HOWEVER, the programming is based around the same five principles. THAT is what keeps you solid.

2 Likes