T Nation

Noticing Effects of Fish Oils

What does does it take for you to feel a differnce in your joints? I increased from about 6 to 10g. a day and am not feeling much of a difference. Is it not worth the extra money for the extra serving every day if 10g. won’t help? How long does it usually take after you increase dose to feel a difference?

I have never noticed any effect with fish oil. I still take it because loads of research says it is good for me.

It is one of the few supplements out there that is supported by the research.

I noticed the effects of fish oil when I went for my physical in April and my lipid profile was better than it had been in years.

[quote]sarah1 wrote:
What does does it take for you to feel a differnce in your joints? I increased from about 6 to 10g. a day and am not feeling much of a difference. Is it not worth the extra money for the extra serving every day if 10g. won’t help? How long does it usually take after you increase dose to feel a difference?[/quote]

Even though some have reported magical differences upon their first dose of taking fish oil don’t let that give you an unwarranted let down if you don’t feel ‘magical’ positive changes from your first bottle.

Fish oil especially of a high quality like you will find in Flameout does indeed stimulate some pretty impressive positive health changes, but the effect may take awhile to notice or may come from beneficial changes in blood work as Loose Tool noted. Others may see it in an upward change in mental outlook as the omega’s can have a strong effect in brain function especially if you’ve been lacking them in your diet.

Others may still see it in fat loss as they also help stimulate positive changes there and yet others will notice it in regard to inflammation and joint health, but again the effect may take awhile and will be helped by improvements in over all good nutritional improvements and physical activity.

I can say that since using Flameout I have noticed improvements in all areas mentioned, but I also workout regularly and try to live by the eighty/twenty rule of eating right. Give it some time to see the benefits.

D

Fish oil is basically food. Eating better is good for you, but you’re not going to “feel” it much.

When I mega-dose fish oil, I bleed like a pig, my skin gets all better, and I don’t get inflammations in my joint as I used to (this one could also be due to the PWO ice cold showers I started taking recently).

And I’m at less than 10 grams/day…

I take 3 Flameout a day. And 12-15 regular fish oil pills. My joints don’t feel as good when I take less.

Ever since I started taking fish oil, my joints have felt much better, especially my knees. I had ACL reconstruction 2.5 years ago on my right knee, and in the past few months since I started taking fish oil, there is little to no pain when I get up in the morning, as well as throughout the course of the day.

From a cosmetic standpoint, I noticed my hair is fuller and has more shine, and my skin has gotten better, especially my hands. In the winter my hands basically become bricks, they were so rough, but now by taking fish oil, I just have to put on lotion once a day and it’s good.

Just my experiences.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Ever since I started taking fish oil, my joints have felt much better, especially my knees. I had ACL reconstruction 2.5 years ago on my right knee, and in the past few months since I started taking fish oil, there is little to no pain when I get up in the morning, as well as throughout the course of the day.

Just my experiences.[/quote]

tmoney1,
I have a similar issue. I tore my ACL 10 years ago. I never had surgery. I have had several bad incidents over the years with my knee “going out” and taking 3-4 weeks to get back to “normal”. 3 weeks ago it went out very badly and my Dr. put his foot down and demanded that I reconsider surgery. My question to you is…do you ever really see any improvement with the surgery? Do you still need a brace? Can you run, do squats, etc…

I hear you on the Fish Oil though. I take 6 Flameout and 10 of the generic brand daily for a total of aprox 8g daily.

I only notice it when I stop taking it for one reason or another.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
I take 3 Flameout a day. And 12-15 regular fish oil pills. My joints don’t feel as good when I take less.[/quote]

Yeah, this is my biggest thing. The only thing I “feel” is less achy joints.

I agree with what everyone else has said. It’s not a difference you feel like when you first start taking ZMA but I can testify to the fact the my joints are not sore after training (kickboxing) like they are when I’m not taking it (Flameout 3tabs twice a day)

You should notice less inflammation of your joints after taking it for a little while.

Could take a day, might take a month to notice its effects.

I don’t take fish oil supps personally. I just eat more fish in my diet (i.e. fish everyday for lunch).

Like all supplements you’ll feel it best when you are training at your peak capacity (where your recovery periods are just sufficient to be enable you to lift as much or just a little more at your next workout).

I really feel a difference in my joints. Especially my knees, hip, and my shoulder that I messed up earlier this year. Flameout: 1 tab 4 x per day.

You won’t notice it like you would a pot of coffee, but over time you will realize the shoulder that used to ache after military presses no longer does, your knees don’t hurt if they pop, incline presses no longer feel like they are making your elbow grind…

As has been mentioned, research demonstrates the many benefits of fish oil even if you don’t experience an immediate or definite feeling.

I actually have noticed the difference when I stopped taking fish oils! I never really “felt” anything to match what I saw (better skin, hair etc) but when I stopped taking fish oils for a month, I was able to appreciate the feeling of well-being I experience when I’m taking it. My joints were not happy!

I don’t get sore from lifting. Unless I really kill myself in the gym. My muscles just get a little stiff and I’m able to tell that they’re fatigued.

[quote]proxy wrote:
I actually have noticed the difference when I stopped taking fish oils! I never really “felt” anything to match what I saw (better skin, hair etc) but when I stopped taking fish oils for a month, I was able to appreciate the feeling of well-being I experience when I’m taking it. My joints were not happy![/quote]

Same here, I only notice when I miss a dose. I do 10g/day of the cheap stuff, and rarely feel joint pain anymore.

Also, since I started supplementing with fish oils a couple years back, I’ve gotten nothing but straight A’s in my college courses.

Coincidence? Or a product that actually works as intended?

-Sab

[quote]sarah1 wrote:
What does does it take for you to feel a differnce in your joints? I increased from about 6 to 10g. a day and am not feeling much of a difference. Is it not worth the extra money for the extra serving every day if 10g. won’t help? How long does it usually take after you increase dose to feel a difference?[/quote]

My personal trainer prescribes 30 - 40 g a day, now if you were using cap’s that’s nearly 40 a day!! Buy the liquid, you can get fish oil liquid with orange oil mixed in and its far more pleasant to take.

Being a girl I’d probably suggest doubling your dosage to 20g, it also depends on you mental health and how lean you are, a person with more fat would need to take quite a bit more than someone who’s lean, say 50 - 60g…I’m quite lean my self and I should only be taking about 20 - 30g but I have other problems which require me to up the dosage a little more.

Hope its been of some help

I take 6 caps of generic stuff with every meal, which comes out to 36-48 grams a day. When I started it only took a couple of days for me to notice that my elbow and shoulder felt “normal” instead of aching after lifting.

How much are you guys spending a month on fish oil if you’re taking 10-20g/day?