T Nation

Noticeable Fish Oil Effects?

Some people lump fish oil (DHA/EPA) into the “lifestyle” category of supplements, where you don’t notice any palpable “results” but your body obtains a great deal of benefit.

But if you go on pubmed and run a search on DHA/EPA, some of the effects sound anything but subtle…

-Decreased lipogenesis
-Increased lipolysis
-Blunting of insulin release after carbohydrate ingestion
-etc etc…

Note that many of these effects manifest themselves at higher doses.

My question, have any of you taking higher dose DHA/EPA (not necessarily the Poliquin “megadose”…lets say >5 combined grams) noticed any positive effects…either physical or emotional? (we all know about the study done on the British prisoners, I think)

Hello,

I had for years an occasional inflammation to my right knee, caused sometimes after doing some sport, but not always. Exercises such as leg extension was inflaming my right knee every time I did it.

After few weeks of taking Flameout (4 caps), the problem vanished. Today, I’m at 8 caps of Flameout per day (6g Omega3) and the problem never appeared again.

However I think that someone not having any physical trouble at start might not notice any effects, but that doesn’t remove all of the health benefits from taking fish oil anyway.

Regards,
Guillaume.

My joints hurt like a motherfucker if I don’t take my Flameout, daily.

I’ve recently added about 6g of generic fish oil brand on top of that and I’ve been happy with it. So have my joints.

Well, when I piss it smells like fish. Benefit? YES!

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Well, when I piss it smells like fish. Benefit? YES![/quote]

sounds like an std brah

Hahahaha, yeah. Dude.

Uhh… I don’t think that’s supposed to happen.

How much are you taking?

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
Well, when I piss it smells like fish. Benefit? YES!

Hahahaha, yeah. Dude.

Uhh… I don’t think that’s supposed to happen.

How much are you taking?[/quote]

Not a crazy amount. Around 5g a day. It happens if I take any more than that.

Pretty sure Fish Oil doesn’t do that.

Are you by chance a longshoreman who frequents dockside bars?

I have exercise induced compartment syndrome in my left calf. My calf gets inflamed and it hurts like a bitch. So I take fish oil and it works out for me.

I took myself off fish oil a few months back and got pretty achy.

Now I’m taking 7-8g/day and feeling pretty good.

I don’t notice anything in how I feel because I’m also taking DMAE and that shit rocks. As well as feeling badass 24/7!!! (plays ‘highway to the danger zone’)

Alright, so it sounds like the consensus here has experienced anti-inflammation effects from fish oil.

Anyone noticed any body composition improvements from it? Or enhanced ability to concentrate?

Noticable fish oil benefits that I have recieved:

-much clearer skin
-my hair is a lot healthier looking on fish oil
-slightly better focus
-incredible for joints, especially when stacked with glucosamine
-i can handle high carb meals better with less fat gain and less of a ‘carb crash’

I like all my supplements (else i wouldn’t take them…), but if i had to choose one, i’d go with fish oil.

I second the clear skin. I also feel I’m leaner than before. Taken it at different times, and when I’m borderline single digits. I seem to hold it more comfortably when I’m taking the fish oil.

Could be just the quality of tone of skin, but I don’t think so.

[quote]pdm362 wrote:
I have exercise induced compartment syndrome in my left calf. [/quote]

Did you just make that up? lol.

I think fish oil caps help with the arthritis in my ankles. I never thought about my skin prior to reading this thread, but my skin is very clear. I thought that had more to do with hydration & eating right, so I never considered whether it had anything to do with the fish oil.

Glucosamine chondroitin never seemed to help my ankles. Fish oil is nifty in my book.

Renee

Yes. Noticeable benefits from Flameout. Love the stuff.

Great changes in body comp. I get Carlson’s Finest Liquid and take around 15-20g per day when I’m able to have the liquid on hand (which is the majority of the time since I have a full-size fridge in office and no body dares to toucha da supplements) or Flameout when traveling. It really helps with the insulin sensitivity and not crashing when I know I’m going so splurge on carbs.

That’s obviously not the only source of fat in the diet, but when seriously low carbing it, the fish oil is a must!

i’ve been taking 30-40 pills daily (180 EPA + 120 DHA each) for the past 1.5 years

after 3-4 months of following that routine:

• no joint issues ever
  • greatly decreased DOMS
  • no headaches unless i have very little sleep and am very stressed
  • sharper/faster reflexes (eg. dropping something you’re holding accidentally)
  • sharper mental focus (harder to get distracted, easier to organize information)
  • vivid dreams almost every night (some experience this from zinc instead), previously i could go several MONTHS without one dream

no other supplements like zinc, chromium, vitamin C, multivitamins or even protein powders have come even close in the number of noticable benefits that fish oil has provided

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
pdm362 wrote:
I have exercise induced compartment syndrome in my left calf.

Did you just make that up? lol.[/quote]

Sorry by left calf I meant left shin. I did a lot of running when I joined the military. More than I had been used to. So I would get really bad shin splints. I saw a doctor because one day it was really bad. Eventually a doctor and a sports trainer both told me what I had

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
i’ve been taking 30-40 pills daily (180 EPA + 120 DHA each) for the past 1.5 years[/quote]

Wow I’d feel like a chemotherapy patient if I was downing that many pills every day. I don’t even want to know how many other vitamins/supplements you take.