T Nation

Notice: Advice for Muscle Gain

For all those newbie lifter who are looking for hypertrophy. THe best way to do this is to follow in the footsteps of those who have already gained the most mass on the planet. BODYBUILDERS!!!!

My suggestion is you head over to flexonline.com
and read these articles in the training section:
Chris Cormiers article
Ronnie Colemans chest test (notice the message under his workout routine listed)

Just from these two articles you should have a good idea of how bodybuilders actually train!!

Hope this help to clear the confusion

CF

…yeah; b/c there is no useful information here.

guys like John Berardi, Eric Cressey, Tony Gentilcore, Christian Thibs and the like really don’t put out good information. /sarcasm

wtf?

the only “confusion” here is why you wasted your time writing this post.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
…yeah; b/c there is no useful information here.

guys like John Berardi, Eric Cressey, Tony Gentilcore, Christian Thibs and the like really don’t put out good information. /sarcasm

wtf?

the only “confusion” here is why you wasted your time writing this post. [/quote]

Actually I thought both of the articles were pretty good for beginners, particularly the one by Cormier, and I wish T-Nation would write more articles from inside the world of bodybuilding, instead of constantly trying to reinvent the wheel.

Does T-Nation even talk to/interview any bodybuilders anymore? The coverage of the last Arnold was pretty disappointing…

[quote]Clown Face wrote:
Chris Cormiers article[/quote]

Just to touch on a few points:

“4. PYRAMID YOUR SETS, STARTING WITH A 15-REP WARM-UP AND FINISHING WITH FIVE REPS Add weight to each set so the point at which you reach failure progressively decreases to five reps for your last set…

I’m not wild about the idea of hitting failure on each and every set. And I generally lean towards lower rep warm-up sets for a few more sets before attacking the main work, to avoid unnecessary fatigue.

“6. FREE WEIGHT FIRST Every workout
should begin with the heaviest and most compound free-weight exercises. Only after you have built a solid base of mass should you refine individual muscle groups with machines and cables.

I agree, and that second sentence, especially, is something new lifters should pay attention to. Free weights take priority in a program, and shouldn’t be outnumbered by machine or cable exercises in any single workout.

"13. EAT BEFORE TRAINING Have something in your stomach when you train, even if it’s only a protein shake. "

Very true. When training for size, a pre-workout shake or meal (if you can stomach it), as well as a during-workout shake, can make a significant difference. Too many little fellas rely on only a postworkout shake to spark growth and recovery, when they just burned X number of calories and revved their metabolism with the weight training.

One thing worth mentioning about this one:

"[i]Coleman trains hard, but he does not focus on reaching full-rep failure for each working set. In fact, he typically stops just before that ultimate point. What’s more, he rarely employs forced reps, partial reps, negatives, descending sets, rest-pause or any other technique for pushing a set beyond failure. Lee assisted on only one forced rep (during incline presses) in the workout we observed.

Coleman also is not a regular user of supersets, pre-exhaustion or any other technique for increasing workout intensity. He does straight, progressively heavier sets for moderate reps with relatively long rest periods (two minutes or more) between sets. People often ask me how 43-year-old Coleman can train with such heavy weights without tearing every tendon. The secret is moderate reps at moderate intensity. He isn’t trying to push every set beyond his previous limits.

Then, too, he may be the most genetically gifted bodybuilder to ever walk the face of the earth.[/i]

That last sentence… re-read it… several times. Kinda puts a question mark after everything they just described about his training methods, no?

The thing is though, and you demonstrated it clearly with these two articles… all pros train differently. Cormier talks about training with heavy 5-rep sets, Coleman focuses on 10-12. Cormier trains to failure on each set, Coleman doesn’t train to failure. Cormier talks about using the full ROM, Coleman doesn’t train to lockout. Things like this are what confuse beginners, especially when people say “STFU and just train like the pros, newb.” “Really, gee, I should train like the pros? Well, Brainiac, which one, Coleman or Cormier? Menzter or Schwarzenegger?”

It’s not nearly as simple as “training like the pros.” It’s more about see what common denominators the biggest, strongest, best built guys have, and follow that.

Um, who was confused about what? And is the Beginners forum where you meant to put this? It seems like you’re trying to address that whole new “ramping” thing people are getting carried away with overanalyzing lately, but I think you’d find a better discussion about it in the Bodybuilding forum.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Does T-Nation even talk to/interview any bodybuilders anymore?[/quote]

A lot of that has to do with sponsorship deals. I know that Nate Green tried to interview Brandon Curry pretty recently, and was basically told it’s against their contract. Companies don’t want they’re “employees” (sponsored bodybuilders) talking to other companies or sites.

Y’all will have to be happy with high-quality interviews done with retired pros like Robby Robinson and Dave Draper. :wink:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
new “ramping” thing people are getting carried away with overanalyzing lately[/quote]

Ramping is new?

Unless I completely misunderstand what the word ramping means, I’m pretty sure it’s been around for awhile.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
Chris Colucci wrote:
new “ramping” thing people are getting carried away with overanalyzing lately

Ramping is new?

Unless I completely misunderstand what the word ramping means, I’m pretty sure it’s been around for awhile.

[/quote]

The obsession over who does it, who doesn’t, and how to do it seems to be the latest fad, yeah. I think there were several threads all bouncing around different theories about it, but it really does seem like just one more thing to get hung up on.

If we’re talking about increasing the weight used over the sets, that could be called pyramiding, ramping, warm-up sets done before work sets, or just plain old ‘lifting with gradually increasing weight*.’

*-Nifty catch phrase not needed.

i’m sorry, was it just suggested that a newbie should take advice on bodybuilding routiens from ronnie coleman?

that’s pretty rediculous if you ask me

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
i’m sorry, was it just suggested that a newbie should take advice on bodybuilding routiens from ronnie coleman?

that’s pretty rediculous if you ask me[/quote]

A beginner will also learn to train according to his bodytipe: http://www.flexonline.com/body_training_exercise/training/156

to do shocking giant set: http://www.flexonline.com/training/153

how to creating bigger LOWER biceps: http://www.flexonline.com/flex_biceps_bodybuilding/training/148 and INNER pecs: http://www.flexonline.com/training/136 because: “Big upper biceps
are nice and all, but to be perfectly honest, they’re nothing without a nice set of lower biceps to accompany them” and “by switching to dumbbells
we can stress the innermost fibers”.

facepalm

[quote]fabiop wrote:
HolyMacaroni wrote:

that’s pretty rediculous if you ask me

A beginner will also learn to train according to his bodytipe: http://www.flexonline.com/body_training_exercise/training/156

to do shocking giant set: http://www.flexonline.com/training/153

how to creating bigger LOWER biceps: http://www.flexonline.com/flex_biceps_bodybuilding/training/148 and INNER pecs: http://www.flexonline.com/training/136 because: “Big upper biceps
are nice and all, but to be perfectly honest, they’re nothing without a nice set of lower biceps to accompany them” and “by switching to dumbbells
we can stress the innermost fibers”.

facepalm[/quote]

Right, because T-Nation doesn’t have shit that is equally retarded.

facepalm

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
The obsession over who does it, who doesn’t, and how to do it seems to be the latest fad, [/quote]

Oh, okay. Ha ha. That makes more sense.