Nothing to Sneeze At

Jeez, that is so young. Both my parents have had strokes but they happened in their 70s. Unfortunately my mother is in the same boat as your friend. She has aphasia - she can say yes and no but not much else. Given how intelligent and witty it is, it’s heartbreaking. It must be so much worse for your friend, with all his life ahead of him. What’s the prognosis for improvement?

Regarding my training, I don’t follow a programme and I actually don’t run more than once or twice a week. I’m coming up to 44 so my joints don’t enjoy getting a regular beating. I’m more of an intuitive trainer - I do what I feel I can on the day (although if I decide I’m going to do a long run on such and such a day, I generally do). I try to stay off road as much as possible but on the longer runs, there’s a certain amount of pavement time to get me from one common or park to the next.

[quote]sarahdawn wrote:
Cardio on a treadmill sucks!!! Correction…CARDIO sucks. [/quote]

I’ll agree with that statement. I avoid treadmills at ALL COSTS!

Good luck with the dieting and training.

hahahaha at least he woke me. fuck. no, no more puppies for at least a little while. im starting to enjoy the amt of selfishness (who knew?) in not having a dog. still might go to the pet stores and play with em every once in awhile, tho. :slight_smile:

training- glad you’re doin it.

friend- if the prognosis isnt good for much more recovery than what he has now, and if it was me, i’d ask/pay someone to kill me. there is NO WAY i’d live my life like that. i know people can overcome a lot, but THAT is one of the places i draw the line. living like tomorrow isnt gonna happen is always a good idea, hate that it took a friends injury to remind you of that.

story- patient of mine got paralyzed from the neck down as a middleaged husband and father playing softball, and sliding head first into home plate. his wife has NEVER been anything less than honey-sweet when insurance or drug availability or long wait times have been an issue. its made all of us at the pharmacy grateful for her, and resent some of our other patients with a bad attitude.

find out a couple months ago that this man left his wife for another woman 2 weeks before his accident. no official separation or divorce, and of course he’s back at home with her, their kids, and daily nurses in and out of the house.

all of that, and she’s still pleasant as pie. yes, she’s an angel.

i’d have smothered the son of a bitch or let him rot wherever he lay.

ps- i got your txt while i was sitting at Outback, of all places. loved it! thank you!!

Yummo! Fresh Blue Fin Tuna!!! This makes the 5 days the man was away well worth it :slight_smile:

oh no:( that’s awful !..it makes you stop and think about your own life for damm sure :{

Well, on an upward note, I hope your training and dieting week goes fab.

That tuna looks great but I’d feel guilty for eating it, given the fact it’s on the verge of extinction.

May 1

Pp with 1/3 cup oats
Pre w/o jacked
During- bcaa’s 
Post- 1 scoop Surge, 1/3 pp
Strawberries, pp, lite soy milk
Chicken, salad, veg, 1 sm piece garlic bread

May 2

Pp, 1/4 c oats, strawberries (4)
80g chicken breast, salad
100g tuna, 100g basmati, broccoli

Locked in management meeting ALL day. Good news is I resisted the cakes and muffins, and yummy foccaccias. Made it so I had zero w/o on Monday due to late telco… Then the jerks reschedule the telco to Tuesday (w/o night), cause I have nothing better to do with my free time than after hour telco’s with those that aren’t mindful of the time difference. Soooooo! I will take a long lunch to squeeze in the full w/o and take the telco after work. Ugh!!!

Brute- thanks for the support

Cbear- u rocked your meet! Glad the text got through. So sad about your patients wife, I would have strangled him!

In re to our friend, the think it was a clot originating from his neck that would have led to the stroke whether we were all in Fiji or not. I tell ya, emergencies in Fiji was a huge eye opener. Anyway, when Chris lifted him onto the stretcher he was rt side completely paralyzed, zero communication, loss of bladder control, and vomiting all over himself (and chris). At the time we thought is was something contracted in Fiji so Chris had a good hot clean-up afterwards.Â

Long story short, he’s finally in his home city 1.5 months later. This week he gets out of hospital and into rehab home. He was extremely fit before. So sad seeing him fade :frowning: he doesn’t want help and wants to do it all himself. You can see how uncomfortable he is. It affected his whole rt side, but his face looks better. He looks like himself besides the paralysis when he smiles. He can eat and drink on his own which is good. He can go to the bathroom on his own. I think based on what we saw Sunday night that he will at worst case be in a wheelchair with moderate walking. I think he willhVe more recovery from his leg than his arm. At this stage he can’t move his arm at all unless lifting his soldier to slightly move the entire arm.Â

He can say more than yes/no but you can tell he has to think a lil harder about what he wants to say. For instance when he said Monday in came out as unday. But then other words were fine. Def not a full conversation but he was able to talk about how his football team was letting him down, and other small talk.Â

So sad, but grateful he’s not a vegetable.Â

Cal- yikes! Must live in a bubble but had no idea it was endangered. I know they have restrictions on size for a variety of fish. These aren’t one of the ones that are required to be thrown back, I wonder why? Not sure if they are a different type or not. Too late now : /

Off to work! Blah

ouch = legs
low carb days = HUNGRY!!!

Today was 531 SQUAT day

warmup on leg press
Squats
Hack Squat
Abs
20 minute cardio

M1 pp, 1/3 cup oats
M2 chicken breast, lc tortilla, diet yogurt
M3 PWO PP, 100g basmati
M4 150g basmati

and… 2 snack size chocolates

Based on the above I am 45g carbs over todays macros. Good thing I had a good workout however I am still a little disappointed.

Full on RAMBLE. Key question is at the bottom. Whoops for the ramble :slight_smile:

I am mostly enjoying carb cyclng. I say mostly because I still have killer cravings, but not as bad as full lc. FULL LC MAKES ME MISERABLE.

I am finding the 2-3 low days are hard enough, but at least I get Med and High days to make me feel somewhat satisfied. I know it’s only food but hot damn, I love food! I love all food but mostly sweets.

It is all mental. To me I associate food with functions or activities. For instance it’s Friday and I’m watching football. I SHOULD be eating pizza and drinking. Tomorrow is sat, a sleep-in. I SHOULD have a vanilla chai latte, and pancakes or waffles, Oh and it’s a bday party so I SHOULD get cake, and candy :slight_smile: and drinks, and then another football game. Then Mother’s day, you can’t diet on Mother’s day WTF not? I’m not a Mother and my Mother is on a different continent. THE LIST COULD GO ON.

Seriously I have mental issues lol. Do any of you feel like your eating habits stem from childhood? Chris was never allowed any bad food growing up. His mom did not work and made healthy meals every night with a huge salad on the table. Now as an adult, he still mostly craves the same type of food with the occasional junk here and there. My parents NEVER made a fresh salad. While I do like salad, I get sick of them easy. I LOVE the thought of mac n cheese (Which was my absolute fav food growing up) but as and adult I still crave it all the time, but then get very dissapointed because it does not taste the same. My mother is super tiny but only eats chicken, candy, cookies, or ice cream. She will go all day without food, just so she can devour the cookies. She is active and Dr’s say all of her bloodwork is always perfect. So she keeps eating her sugar but exercising as well. So what are my biggest weaknesses??? Sweets. Seriously I was allowed as much sweets whenever I wanted growing up, but I was always and active kid and teenager. Now as an adult, I want to eat and endless bag of skittles and still keep that same physique. Not possible and less I am just as active as I was.

Rude awakening!!! With a lousy desk job you burn sweet FA. Even with an evening w/o and a lunchtime walk…it is still hard to counteract the 8-10 hours sitting on your ass. Options??? Not many! Move more, eat less. DAMN!!!

QUESTION: and I am sure I will get all diff opinions which is fine. In regards to weight loss, do you think it matters where your carbs come from. Do you think a runner will be just as effective by getting some of theIR daily carbs from skittles or jelly beans as opposed to oats or rice. I realize oats and rice will fill you for longer, but do you think the overall results will vary?

If a typical meal for PWO is PP and rice/oats, do you think the fat loss or recovery will be hindered with pp and gummy bears.

Some coaches say hit your macros and if that means you squeeze in a cupcake but still hit your macros, that’s fine. While others say you can only eat a,b,or c THATS IT…From your experience do YOU think it matters?

(you might’ve just gone full blown FA on their asses. if they come at you with pitchforks and torches, im not stoppen em.)

for ME, no it doesnt matter. i found out through trial and error.

cupcake vs oatmeal- what it DOES do is spike my insulin up one way and down the other so i feel like more shit later instead of just angry that i cant have something i WANT.

Yeah, I have food issues from growing up. As a child I enjoyed eating but didn’t obsess over it. Growing up in the 70s I lived with my parents and grandmother, and we’d have a lot of traditional food. Grandmother was an East Ender and would cook very traditional meals such as stew and dumplings, suet pudding, steak and kidney pie and so forth. Mum would be a little more adventurous and did pasta and sometimes Indian or Chinese-type foods. Both made awesome puddings.

By the time I was 10 I had a little puppy fat - nothing by today’s standards but enough that my classmates called me Fatty Jones. I ended up with very poor self esteem and spent the second half of my teens and my twenties battling eating disorders. I still binge eat sometimes, though I must admit I find that I’m better able to moderate my eating when I am having some carbs rather than none.

I went through a bad phase in my late 20s where I’d be able to wolf down a bag of 10 donuts or a big bag of pick ‘n’ mix but I’ve lost my desire to eat stuff like that now. If I overeat, it tends to be things like trail mix. You pretty much have to wean yourself off stuff like that. Eventually you will lose the cravings. Simple carbs will spike your blood sugar as Bear says, leaving you with a sugar crash later on. Complex carbs such as rice don’t have the same effect.

Try weaning yourself off sugar and wheat for a bit and see what happens. Eat rice, potatoes and berries (avoid the big fruits) if you need carbs. Your palate should adapt and the gummi bears won’t seem quite so appealing after a while.

I’ve worked desk jobs for years so I know what you’re facing. The other thing that happens is you get a desk posture, so be sure to stretch out your hip flexors and do your thoracic extensions, stretch your pecs and open up your shoulder girdle. Otherwise you end up with a shit load of injures (like me).

CBEAR - I know, right! I was out of pure boredom while Chris was sound asleep on the coach at 9pm. So i talked to my keyboard. At the end I was like holy crap…do I press delete or send. I figure I can use the pitchforks, they’re good for broomstick stretches.

Cal - Thanks for sharing, and not staking or torching me as cbear suggests :wink: Over the last few months I have found that I am not longer addicted to candy to a point where I’ll hoard bags of it, all for self consumption. I also am happy with 1 or 2 jellybeans where before I devoured the entire bag (excluding yellows, and oranges - free to good home)

My hip flexors hate me. More than they did a few years ago and my posture was terrible then. My ass sticks out, my lower belly sticks out like I’ve got a freakin pouch or something, and I slouch! I am working on it.

Maybe I’ll put in a request for a treadmill desk, lol

It’s called anterior pelvic tilt.

This article is actually great. http://figureathlete.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/training/pain_free_lower_body_posture

Yeah, my take on it is that the less crap you eat, the less that you WANT to eat crap. By crap I mean simple sugary crap. The other benefit of eating more complex carbs is that they generally have other more appealing nutritional value as well.

Oh, and I won’t stake or torch you. Not my style.

Good luck with the posture/anterior pelvic tilt. I have tons of posture re-set techniques. PM me if you’re interested.

yeah. i think it is maybe a bit like smoking. some evil shit, poison, that the body really isn’t designed to cope with. but very addictive. takes a while to break the habit and for the psychological cravings to subside.

i think there is something to infants craving substances their mothers ingested when they were in labor. craving substances the mothers ingested when they were breast feeding. makes sense that we would crave substances that we ingested later in life. priming or potentiation or whatever for craving those substances.

hang in there. it is hard.

Good analogy Alexus!

I think you just gotta experiment like the bear sayz.

Eat some jelly beans one day and take weight the next morning…when it gets back to your original weight, eat a red potato…any weight difference?

or something like that. Mainly, it’s how I am affected by certain foods. And jelly beans aren’t going to fill me up like a bowl of rice or a sweet potato :slight_smile:

I tried the low carb and carb cycling and found it made my cravings worse. I’m a sugar bug myself and will kill for chocolate, pastries and cookies.

1- eating healthy carbs keeps this shit at bay. Oats with protein powder and fruit in the morning
2- cottage cheese/yogourt with jam pre-workout
2- rice, potatoes, couscous for supper with source of protein.

I keep the occasional junk for weekends and some dark chocolate handy for the week.

My main big brain switch was NOT viewing the junk as evil/untoucheable. The more I can’t have the more I want. Instead, if I’ve eaten ALL my good foods then I might treat myself to the junk. And having filled up before hand to the good stuff, makes me eat less junk.

At the end of the day that means not focusing so much on your abs and lifting for strength, confidance and joy and eating in such a way to support the lifting. Food is not the enemy. Learn to cook for yourself and find joy in healthy stuff - cause yes there is much flavor to be found in the good stuff too.

yes, different people do indeed seem to find different things work for them. i’m a pretty all or none personality. if i eat a small portion of potato i crave potato for the next few weeks. only way i can get cravings for potato to stop is to abstain from potato. some people find that they can cut back to 1-5 cigarettes per day and that manages their cravings better than just quitting cold turkey. cutting back to 1-5 cigarettes per day would be slow torture for me - the cravings would never go away. they pass faster if i just quit with the cigarettes already.

that being said… since i’ve been off potato for a while now… if i do happen to get a craving for potato i’ve figured that what my body really seems to be after is salt. vegemite takes care of cravings for potato! and sometimes i get a craving for vegemite… which seems to mean my body needs some vitamin B! i think sometimes our bodies are trying to tell us they need something… figuring out what it is can be hard, though… i suspect it isn’t really after gummy bears… but everyones body is different so i don’t know what your body is trying to say to you.