T Nation

Nothing But Veggies for Carbs?

http://www.tmuscle.com/readArticle.do?id=1793585

So if I am bulking, I am not supposed to eat wheat bread/oats?

fat and protein promote growth. Carbs provide energy. If you have no carbs your body will use fat and protein for growth(if you are consuming enough) and for energy. Eat your carbs, and let your body use fat and protein to make you big and strong.

I thought calories provided growth? Is eating low wheat carbs a new type thing or something? I've always heard to load up on oats/brown rice when you are bulking, not load up on brocolli?

I'm not sure where you're getting your advise from but it's not good.

1 - Calories don't really mean anything especially for someone trying to add muscle. In terms of weight loss, counting calories is simple and effective but it doesn't essentially provide any growth. And what I mean buy that, is say someone told you to consume 3,000 cal a day for muscle growth and you decide "Hey a can of Pepsi has 90 cal. so I'll just drink 34 cans of Pepsi because I like it!" Truth is your consuming a lot of carbonated water, syrup, and sugar which does nothing for you except get you really addicted to sugar. Calories are basically a measurement of energy.

2 - Bulking isn't something I've really fully understood. Personally, I feel that it's an outdated term and was only really used by bodybuilders. The idea may still be valid but if you're not planning on competing for a comp. then forget about it. You can however lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. If you're looking to get ripped and add some size, no problem. Just completely forget this bulking idea all together. There is nothing wrong with consuming oats, rice, pasta, etc. What you eat and when is going to depend on you're activity level. If your activity is low however your probably going to just add fat to your body by eating these. Take a look into "bioenergetics". Study up on it and you'll find out when and how your body utilizes what you eat.

Furthermore, and this is something that I advocate, most of your meals should consist of proteins, lipids, vegetables, and a balance of micro nutrients. You will still consume carbs this way but they will be slim. Adding in rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, squash, things of that nature will be dependent on high levels of exercise. Again look up bioenergetics.

Here's kind of a short list of foods that you can't go wrong with.

1. Salmon
  2. Extra Lean Beef
  3. Walnuts
  4. Olive Oil
  5. Blueberries
  6. Ground Flaxseeds
  7. Green Vegetables
  8. Legumes
  9. Quinoa
  10. Eggs
  11. Low Fat Milk
  12. Yams/Potatoes/Rice
  13. Tomatoes
  14. Almond Milk (I use for shakes)
  15. Oatmeal

There's more but that should give you the idea.