T Nation

Notes from the Gym: Bench Press Depth

I thought of this while at the gym earlier:

“Bench pressing only halfway down is like going down on a girl, but only swirling your tongue around her belly button.”

Unless you’re doing board presses, in which case it’s like you’ve got wood.

So what you’re saying is full ROM bench pressing is, like, for pussies?

[quote]koleah wrote:
I thought of this while at the gym earlier:

“Bench pressing only halfway down is like going down on a girl, but only swirling your tongue around her belly button.”[/quote]

I’m going to disagree with that. Limiting your ROM can help save your shoulder joints, and in the long run that’s way more important. You can also continue to get great work in on your chest and front delts if you stop at 90 degrees or just below.

I’m just not a fan of the flat bench in general though, so to each his own.

Yeah, what does it mean if I don’t bench at all?

[quote]-LL- wrote:
Yeah, what does it mean if I don’t bench at all?[/quote]

I’m terribly sorry but I do need to ask… have you considered that you might be gay?

My apologies if you are instead a double amputee or otherwise incapacitated.

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[quote]-LL- wrote:
Yeah, what does it mean if I don’t bench at all?[/quote]

I’m terribly sorry but I do need to ask… have you considered that you might be gay?

My apologies if you are instead a double amputee or otherwise incapacitated.[/quote]

I like that…particularly the disclaimer about the possibility of horrible deformities.

Stop acting like a bunch of pussies.
Use dumbells, and use full range of movement.
Hallowed, make me a sammich.

tweet tweet

[quote]byukid wrote:
Unless you’re doing board presses, in which case it’s like you’ve got wood.[/quote]

LOL!

[quote]-LL- wrote:
Yeah, what does it mean if I don’t bench at all?[/quote]

that youre a real man who doesnt bother with feministic fore-play crap

[quote]theBird wrote:
Stop acting like a bunch of pussies.
Use dumbells, and use full range of movement.
Hallowed, make me a sammich.

tweet tweet[/quote]

Hello

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]koleah wrote:
I thought of this while at the gym earlier:

“Bench pressing only halfway down is like going down on a girl, but only swirling your tongue around her belly button.”[/quote]

I’m going to disagree with that. Limiting your ROM can help save your shoulder joints, and in the long run that’s way more important. You can also continue to get great work in on your chest and front delts if you stop at 90 degrees or just below.

I’m just not a fan of the flat bench in general though, so to each his own.[/quote]

I totally agree with you. Problem is 90% of gym goers do half ROM because their ego dictates they lift more weight thus the ROM goes to shit.

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[quote]-LL- wrote:
Yeah, what does it mean if I don’t bench at all?[/quote]

I’m terribly sorry but I do need to ask… have you considered that you might be gay?

My apologies if you are instead a double amputee or otherwise incapacitated.[/quote]

I didn’t say I didn’t use DBs, incline, close-grip, or decline.

However I would like to say that going down on your girl > conventional bench press.

There is no comparison.

So it is IMPOSSIBLE for some of you to just go to the gym and do your own fucking workouts without constantly judging the shit everyone else is doing?

I never understand these threads. Go in, do work, leave. Why analyze and then post on the internets about what some other guy is doing. Shit don’t affect you.

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[quote]-LL- wrote:
Yeah, what does it mean if I don’t bench at all?[/quote]

I’m terribly sorry but I do need to ask… have you considered that you might be gay?

My apologies if you are instead a double amputee or otherwise incapacitated.[/quote]

Shit hallowed, I haven’t benched in 3 years, i was kindda a single armed amputee for like 5 seconds until the doc stitched my shoulder back together.

So it is IMPOSSIBLE for some of you to just go to a webiste and do your own fucking business without constantly judging the shit everyone else is doing?

I never understand these threads. Go in, do work, leave. Why analyze and then post on the internet about what some other guy wrote on the internet. Shit don’t affect you.

He who cares least wins.

Fuck, why did I even enter this thread?

[quote]gregron wrote:
So it is IMPOSSIBLE for some of you to just go to a webiste and do your own fucking business without constantly judging the shit everyone else is doing?

I never understand these threads. Go in, do work, leave. Why analyze and then post on the internet about what some other guy wrote on the internet. Shit don’t affect you.[/quote]

This.

And blanket statements are also extremely fucking retarded.

[quote]ucallthatbass wrote:

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[quote]-LL- wrote:
Yeah, what does it mean if I don’t bench at all?[/quote]

I’m terribly sorry but I do need to ask… have you considered that you might be gay?

My apologies if you are instead a double amputee or otherwise incapacitated.[/quote]

Shit hallowed, I haven’t benched in 3 years, i was kindda a single armed amputee for like 5 seconds until the doc stitched my shoulder back together.[/quote]

You are legit exempt from the ghey

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:
Stop acting like a bunch of pussies.
Use dumbells, and use full range of movement.
Hallowed, make me a sammich.

tweet tweet[/quote]

Hello[/quote]

Count this dude wants us to make him a sammich.
I’m sure you can think of some appropriate ingredients?