T Nation

Notes from the Battle Against Middle-Aged Mediocrity

A couple of years ago I had a thread on here about preparing to fight MMA again before I turned 40. Well, that went pretty smoothly and the feedback I got here was real encouragement and spurred me on to success - competing at 95kg, great conditioning and a won fight.

Then without a goal it all went down hill. Weight gain, injuries, inconsistent training, head screwed up…

I’m trying to do some of the things that got me to a good place before and posting here is one of them.

In February this year I exacerbated a torn labrum which slowed my training down and screwed my back up. I got back to training yesterday so here goes…

All comments welcomed and appreciated!

Torn hip labrum or shoulder?

Left hip. I aggravated it by sitting in a car for a long journey without unfurling, and in ‘protecting’ it tightened my back up and got a spasm as well.

Been there. Done that. I, too, have hip labrum problems and have to baby both hips or else I get glute or back pain.

Probably should have given a little info in my first post. I’m 42 years old, massively overweight (112kg at 5 feet 6 inches tall) and a jiu jitsu/MMA enthusiast. I’ve been lifting on and off since I was 18 but found 5/3/1 about 6 years ago and haven’t looked back.