Not Wearing Shoes at the Gym

[quote]bluerock wrote:
So I like to take off my shoes to Squat (in my socks) and been doing so for about a year now at my gym because I get a better grip doing back squats ATG. I found other shoes like Chucks to be bulky but I wear Nike Free for my other exercises so I only go barefoot when doing squats.

Anyways, I’ve been doing this for about a year with no complaints til this past weekend when a staff member told me I need to put on my shoes at all times, he cited a safety issue in case i drop bunch of weight on my feet. But I told him that’s ridiculous because even with shoes if someone drops a bunch of weight it’s going to cause injury, in addition, I’ve seen people wear those Vibrams glove shoes around so those pose the same threat as going barefoot.

What about accidently dropping the BB while bench pressing, see USC football RB, I mean, any free weight exercise there’s going to be risks. So then he starts to backpedal and brings up hygiene issue and a potential lawsuit if someone gets hurt while he is working out barefoot which could be a loophole? I don’t get that.

I can see if someone walks all around the gym barefoot it would be strange, but just at the squat rack while doing a couple sets and putting their shoes back on for the remainder of the workout, what’s the harm of that. The only point i could see if they told me if looks bad for the gym when taking potential members around for tours, but that really isn’t too bad. Dirty locker rooms or disheveled free weight room like dumbells scattered around is worse.

Thoughts? Do i need to buy those goofy looking vibrams?
[/quote]

Arnold use to always train barefoot while squatting. But, that was back in the day, when women and the geeks and dweebs of society didn’t dare trespass. Nowadays, are gyms are filled with overly sensitive chicks, and people who think walking on the treadmill is a workout. The days are gone for the hardcore lifter. very very few of those gyms exist anymore. What has taken its place are gyms for “women” and the dweebs and yuppies of society.

Follow the rules of the gym or find another place to work out.

Nobody said you have to like it.

bodyguard, why is it false? having worked at a gym, this is what management told me.

you work with this stuff as well correct?

I do know it has to do with insurance somehow

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[/quote]

Now there’s a novel idea. Or, continue to justify by telling yourself you could be doing worse things.

[quote]biglifter wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[/quote]

Now there’s a novel idea. Or, continue to justify by telling yourself you could be doing worse things.[/quote]
^ This is how I get by.

Also, general comment, what about pants? Has anyone mentioned not wearing pants yet?

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]biglifter wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[/quote]

Now there’s a novel idea. Or, continue to justify by telling yourself you could be doing worse things.[/quote]
^ This is how I get by.

Also, general comment, what about pants? Has anyone mentioned not wearing pants yet?[/quote]

Is there a rule there against not wearing pants? Eff it, just workout naked. Will make it easier to judge squat depth.

[quote]TheTexican wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]biglifter wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[/quote]

^ This is how I get by.

Also, general comment, what about pants? Has anyone mentioned not wearing pants yet?[/quote]

Is there a rule there against not wearing pants? Eff it, just workout naked. Will make it easier to judge squat depth.[/quote]
Yep. If your balls are not slapping the floor on each rep you are not doing it right.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
bodyguard, why is it false? having worked at a gym, this is what management told me.

I do know it has to do with insurance somehow[/quote]

Management misinformed you. The policy would still provide coverage.

Either management was ignorant or, they chose to exaggerate so that staff would enforce the rules. My guess is the latter.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

I do know it has to do with insurance somehow[/quote]

Management misinformed you. The policy would still provide coverage.

Either management was ignorant or, they chose to exaggerate so that staff would enforce the rules. My guess is the latter. [/quote]

haha, the former is definitely accurate.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
As a part owner of a gym…it’s a legal thing.

Do it or find another place to lift (your garage maybe).

You disrespect the owners if you just continue to do it, and you put the employees in the uncomfortable position of having to confront you.

If Chuck’s are good enough for multiple world record holders, they are not good enough for you?

You must be awesome.[/quote]

Chucks are good shoes, but prefer going barefoot. I like the feel of it maybe due to my flat feet and i think it helps my mobility when i go below parallel on my squats. i’m just trying to maximize my lifts and not trying to be “awesome”

[quote]bluerock wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
As a part owner of a gym…it’s a legal thing.

Do it or find another place to lift (your garage maybe).

You disrespect the owners if you just continue to do it, and you put the employees in the uncomfortable position of having to confront you.

If Chuck’s are good enough for multiple world record holders, they are not good enough for you?

You must be awesome.[/quote]

Chucks are good shoes, but prefer going barefoot. I like the feel of it maybe due to my flat feet and i think it helps my mobility when i go below parallel on my squats. i’m just trying to maximize my lifts and not trying to be “awesome” [/quote]
I find Nike Frees allow mobility necessary to squat below parallel. Just don’t tie them too tight around your ankles.

Your feet can flex and stretch as necessary and the shoe intself is your platform.

Look in to the Free XT as opposed to the running versions.

EDIT: Make that Nike TR. My bad.

Management misinformed you.
[/quote]

Kind of. It’s not a requirement for indemnity/defense once a covered event occurs, it’s an underwriter’s requirement to obtain coverage.

[quote]
The policy would still provide coverage. [/quote]

Correct. But the policy would (probably) not be renewed because the insured was a bad risk.

Their house, their rules. Try talking to the manager and telling him your perspective on it, and if they still say no, take your business somewhere else. We can argue all day about safety of barefoot squatting (I squat barefoot all the time) but you still gotta respect the gym owners rules.

[quote]SKWATKING wrote:
Their house, their rules. Try talking to the manager and telling him your perspective on it, and if they still say no, take your business somewhere else. We can argue all day about safety of barefoot squatting (I squat barefoot all the time) but you still gotta respect the gym owners rules. [/quote]

One would think…but in this day and age, most try and do whatever they want if they don’t like a rule.

underwriters do not conduct studies;
[/quote]

Yeah, they don’t pool resources and fund “Underwriter’s Laboratories” for example to figure out the premium to charge for a given risk (and what risk to take and not take) and what equipmetn is OK at a risk’s operation.

Or Baseefa, Canadian Standards, NEMKO and the rest. They don’t exist. They are not non-profits funded by insurance and industry. Nope.

And life insurance companies don’t hire actuarials. Indeed, the entire science of “Actuarial Science” is non-existant. No studies are done!

They just guess!

Seriously, you are a very smart guy on the claims side, but the top-office stuff is not your thing.

So if it’s their rule, and you break the rule and drop a weight on your toes, and let’s assume that you sue them. Then you’ve ignored the rules and gotten yourself hurt and there is no way in hell they should be responsible.

I might be wrong. Sometimes it feels like your legal system is designed with the sole purpose of supplying Leno with new material.

I usually don’t even bring shoes to the gym. They take up half my backpack and I need that space for books, food and a belt. If someone tells you to put your shoes on and you only have your dirty outdoor shoes with you, you’ll probably be allowed to squat barefoot.

Yeah, Chuck Taylors give good ankle support

[quote]kakno wrote:

I might be wrong. [/quote]

you are.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

Management misinformed you.
[/quote]

Kind of. It’s not a requirement for indemnity/defense once a covered event occurs, it’s an underwriter’s requirement to obtain coverage.

I know I’m correct. I was a claims professional with 23 years coverage and litigation experience and admitted in Federal Court as an expert witness.