Not Voting

what do you think about me not voting?

i don’t watch the news. i don’t listen to the radio. i do like reading Test’s political threads, tho.

i can never decide which candidate or position i prefer. it seems to me it doesn’t really matter who is president, because we can never really predict what will happen. only we look in the past and say, “ah we coulda seen that comin.”

empires rise, empires fall. america is no exception. we go through times of depression, war, peace, flourishing economy. the universe is balanced and everything in her is balanced.

alas, perhaps i just don’t know enough about politics and their effects on my life in order to make realistic judgements.

Uh, what the hell kind of question is that?

If you are asking what the general feeling is regarding uneducated voters going to the polls, I am ambivalent. On the one hand, I don’t think many members of the public are educated on the subject, and that really, almost no one really should vote based on the information to which he or she has been exposed throughout the campaign season. On the other hand, the parties tend to have rather predictable agendas, and if you vote along party lines, you’ll usually get what you pay for.

And on my third hand, designated for masturbatory pleasure, I realize that it is (probably) absolutely irrelevant which person is elected, as (hopefully) everyone stays to the middle to avoid being culled.

Oh, as far as you, personally, voting?
I don’t care.

I wanted to respond more to this but don’t know how without sounding rude. That said, I don’t care if you are not voting. Why do you ask? I just have to assume you are young and therefore have not really “gotten into” politics yet. And there is nothing wrong with that.

[quote]wufwugy wrote:

i don’t watch the news. i don’t listen to the radio. i do like reading Test’s political threads, tho.

i can never decide which candidate or position i prefer. it seems to me it doesn’t really matter who is president, because we can never really predict what will happen. only we look in the past and say, “ah we coulda seen that comin.”

empires rise, empires fall. america is no exception. we go through times of depression, war, peace, flourishing economy. the universe is balanced and everything in her is balanced.

alas, perhaps i just don’t know enough about politics and their effects on my life in order to make realistic judgements.

what do you think about me not voting?[/quote]

I have to say that people should really learn the issues and think about them before voting. If you don’t know the issues, I really wonder if you should vote.

I realized this about myself years ago. After voting I realized I didn’t know anything about the issues, and didn?t have enough interest at that time to really follow the issues.

Once I started learning about the issues, I realized how important it was to learn about the issues, think about the issues, and decide how to vote.

Too often people just don’t know about the issues, or if they do, they don’t really think about the issues. They let others do that thinking for them, and that is foolish.

Just remember, if you don’t like how things turn out, you have no right to complain. How can you complain when you did nothing to change things, or keep things from changing?

Now if you dislike both candidates, vote for Nader as a protest vote against both candidates. The results are the same as not voting, and you get to vote on your local issues.

But do what you want.

Not voting is always an option. If the republicans nominate the wrong man someday, (like Arnold if the law changes) I may exercise my right not to vote.

Consciously exercising your right not to vote sends a strong message that neither candidate is good enough in your opinion.