T Nation

Not Using a Training Log

Anyone here not use a training log at all? Or do some of you only track certain lifts and do other lifts by how you feel that day?

I don’t. I have a lift I always keep in the rotation (for example dumbbell bench for chest) and as long as I’m getting stronger on that I’m happy. The rest of the workout can be changed depending on my mood.

For the most part I can remember what I did last time.

no!!!, you should track you training by this way you focus on progressive overload which is the only way to get bigger if you are natural chose a specific exercises (mostly free weight compound ) that you feel it hit your muscles and get them work

I would imagine strength trainers will likely use a log book whilst hypertophy trainers not so much or not at all.

I find my log book really useful, but like any other piece of equipment, if I was suddenly stopped from using it, I’d cope without.

[quote]Angus1 wrote:
I would imagine strength trainers will likely use a log book whilst hypertophy trainers not so much or not at all.
[/quote]
Agreed with this. For a few years, I only tracked my main movement in lifting, not any of the accessory work. To paraphrase what T3hPwnisher on here said a while back, if the main lifts are getting stronger and the accessory work isn’t then you are doing things right. If the accessory work is getting stronger but the main movements aren’t, then you are doing things wrong.

Now, though, I have been logging all of my accessory work as well for the last few weeks.

i train in my basement gym with limited equipment so i always have to do the same exercises.

i never strive for lifting heavier weight, i just try to train with more intensity.

sometimes i apply different intensity techniques like rest pause, dropsets etc or just reduce the rest periods between sets.

long story short, i never kept a training log.

PS : it would be awesome to see how i trained 10 years ago but i was always too lazy for it.

I’ve kept a log most of my training. Obviously remembering the numbers to beat is one reason, but I like too look back at it, and as I experiment with different diets and training styles, I can kind of see a trend of what worked best. Also, I write tips like ‘bring hands in half an inch’ or ‘second set was better because you pushed through your heels’ and so when I look at last week’s workout, I’ll see those, and usually it benefits my future workouts.

Excellent point Spidey. A bunch of exercises and numbers on a page have pretty limited value, especially long term. It’s good to write about specific stuff you learn, or what kind of plan you were on, or what you specifically were training for.

I’ve got a few old binders of old logs, just full of useless numbers. A lot have dates, but not the years. Most of the time I forgot to mention my body weight, or what kind of competition I was training for.

I need one to keep track of the numbers so not wasting time during training, now where the heck did I leave off. And also through my work’s wellness program we get some $$ for keeping track!!

[quote]zaidgta wrote:
no!!!, you should track you training by this way you focus on progressive overload which is the only way to get bigger if you are natural chose a specific exercises (mostly free weight compound ) that you feel it hit your muscles and get them work[/quote]

um, ok. I’ll take it under advisement…