T Nation

Not The Best, But MY Best!

I set some personal records today. This is the first time I have actually tried to max since high school(~3 yrs ago) and without someone to spot me, they probably aren’t my maximum effort, but I was still suprised with myself.

Dumbbell bench- 70lb dumbbells 1 rep
Squat- 175lbs ass to grass 2 reps(no spotter, was not all I got)
Deadlift- 285lbs 1 rep !!!

I know these aren’t world record lifts by any means, but they damn sure seem like it to me!!
Can’t wait til I come off the V-diet, maybe I’ll have a little more strength with the added caloric intake.

[quote]Antivenom wrote:
I set some personal records today. This is the first time I have actually tried to max since high school(~3 yrs ago) and without someone to spot me, they probably aren’t me maximum effort, but I was still suprised with myself.

Dumbbell bench- 70lb dumbbells 1 rep
Squat- 175lbs ass to grass 2 reps(no spotter, was not all I got)
Deadlift- 285lbs 1 rep !!!

I know these aren’t world record lifts by any means, but they damn sure seems like it to me!!
Can’t wait til I come off the V-diet, maybe I’ll have a little more strength with the added caloric intake.[/quote]

You don’t need to defend your personal progress - we know those numbers are not world class. Non-pro bodybuilding/powerlifting is all relative… its about getting better than you were previously, setting PR’s as often as possible. After throwing against a few Olympians, I quickly learned this in my college track days. There will always be someone bigger/faster/stronger/more shredded. So, to that end, congrats on the progress - keep up the hard work!

TS

Just curious, but what was your weight before you started the V-diet. In my opinion, the V-diet is used for a short time, Meaning to lose that last little bit of “chub.” Just trying to understand why your on the V-diet .

Anti

It never gets old setting a PR. Congrats to you.

My advice is pretty obvious–

PR with a spotter or safety device–no exceptions and
do it during or shortly after a bulking cycle, not in the middle of a diet.

Shit, you’re easily 5% stronger than those numbers. Good luck

[quote]NatX wrote:
Just curious, but what was your weight before you started the V-diet. In my opinion, the V-diet is used for a short time, Meaning to lose that last little bit of “chub.” Just trying to understand why your on the V-diet .[/quote]

I have been around 184lbs, 22% BF for the last year or so until January when I started working out again. I lost some of the fat and gained some muscle, so at the start of the V-diet(2 weeks ago) I was 178lbs, about 16% bodyfat. I started the V-diet to get to around 10% or less bodyfat, make my jeans fit better, not have huge fat stores on my thighs, etc. I was tired of feeling fat and not being able to see much of my muscle. I don’t wanna have a belly anymore, even if I look like a skinny guy. I’m sure I will bulk again soon, but I wanna stay around 10-12% even during a bulking period. At the moment I am still making strength gains and muscle gains while losing fat, so I think this is the perfect time for the V-diet. I am currently 173lbs, BF unknown, but I have a feeling that since I have seen strength gains, I have also gained some muscle, which would account for the low amount of actual “weight” loss.