T Nation

Not Sure If TRT has Been Worth It

I’ve detailed my regimen and how it was modified here: https://forums.t-nation.com/t/hardly-any-benefits-two-weeks-in
After 3 months I hardly see any benefits. Maybe my sleep and my anxiety are better but that may be because of the supplements that I take.

The main reason I wanted TRT was to improve my confidence, energy, libido and ED all of which were in a bad shape in the last year or so. I don’t see any changes in these 4 aspects. The main thing I’ve got from TRT is increased facial hair and that scares me because I was already hairy before going on TRT. I see new hair on my cheekbones and not far from my eyes.

I remember feeling very confident when on clomid. But I had hot flashes and felt dizzy. I’m tempted to move back to a SERM like Toremifene.

It hasn’t been long enough time to erections and libido to be restored, some take a full year for these things to occur. I’m 9 months into TRT and almost there myself, erections and libido are almost fully restored.

You have unrealistic expectations on the time it takes to be fully restore to your former glory, most guys quit because they don’t have any patients and would rather spend their life asexual. You say you’ve notice hardly any benefits, anxiety and sleep are better, all in 3 months.

The first day I injected test I googles how long it would take for TRT to take effect. The answers were in the 6 week range. Now I hear 6 months to a year. Are there any veritable studies on the subject?

TRT “starts to work” 4-6 weeks and takes 3, 6 and 12 months provided your dose is correct for you. It will only improve the longer your on TRT, the other alternative is to quit TRT and go back to poor sleep and increases in anxiety.

Effects on sexual interest appear after 3 weeks plateauing at 6 weeks, with no further increments expected beyond. Changes (not fully restored) in erections/ejaculations may require up to 6 months. Effects on quality of life manifest within 3–4 weeks, but maximum benefits take longer. Effects on depressive mood become detectable after 3–6 weeks with a maximum after 18–30 weeks. Effects on erythropoiesis are evident at 3 months, peaking at 9–12 months. Prostate-specific antigen and volume rise, marginally, plateauing at 12 months; further increase should be related to aging rather than therapy. Effects on lipids appear after 4 weeks, maximal after 6–12 months. Insulin sensitivity may improve within few days, but effects on glycemic control become evident only after 3–12 months. Changes in fat mass, lean body mass, and muscle strength occur within 12–16 weeks, stabilize at 6–12 months, but can marginally continue over years. Effects on inflammation occur within 3–12 weeks. Effects on bone are detectable already after 6 months while continuing at least for 3 years.

The time-course of the spectrum of effects of testosterone shows considerable variation, probably related to pharmacodynamics of the testosterone preparation. Genomic and non-genomic effects, androgen receptor polymorphism and intracellular steroid metabolism further contribute to such diversity.

You need to give it at least 18 months. It took years for you to get down to the point you were. Its not going to reverse itself in a very short time. 6-8 weeks you start to notice things and like you said, sleep is better. give it some time…

This thread without the supporting details of what else has happened is not workable. Yes things take a while, but TT, FT, E2 and thyroid function need to be optimal.