Not Sure if I Tore My Pec

Hey, last Wednesday i was benching not much 72 KGs. when suddenly i heard sort of a ripping sound on my right shoulder\pec area i completed the set. i re racked the weight and gave it a couple of minutes. tried doing another set but i felt alot of pressure on my outer right outer pec so i re racked. i didn’t experience any pain at all but it felt very cramped up. first few days i only lost some ROM but it came back very quickly but still feels a bit stiff. about yesterday i noticed a some bruising on my right bicep. compared to other bruising i saw on the net it is very light. still i’m worried ,am i over thinking this?

some pics:

regards, Lior.

Tearing a muscle has more of a clicking sound than a tearing sound. That could simply have been a mistake though. Since you have bruising on your bicep, it definitely is not your peck, but potentially a delt insertion or your bicep. At the degree in which it appears, it looks like a level 2 tear. It is only partly torn. At this level, you can move it but with less ROM, tenderness to the touch, and pain when moving it. It is up to you as to what you should do, since it can be treated at home, but since you probably didn’t nit know how to you should probably go see a doctor. Definitely stop lifting for a little bit though. Totally for at least a week, hence AT LEAST, take off from lifting. Even legal movements tend to carry over since we often flex our arms when we strain anywhere in any given movement.

I have torn my pec. It sounded very clearly like ripping a t-shirt in half. I had bruising on my bicep, went all the way down to my elbow.

This is why you take everything on the internet with a grain of salt.

I’m going to recommend you see a doctor, and take some time off lifting entirely til then. Whether you realize it or not, when you brace yourself you’ll flex pretty hard, which can pull on the damaged fibers more than you think.

1 Like