Not Sure About an Injury

I’ve been “injured” for 2 1/2 months now. It all started after I was playing volleyball 5 straight days and diving into some hard sand.

I have this pain in my right shin/knee. It’s below the patellar tendon, but on/under the edge of the tibia where it sticks out slightly on the front on the shin. I haven’t been able to run for while and biking only hurt in the beginning, but after stopping any impact activities, it’s been fine.

When I touch the area, I can feel a slight pain or discomfort. Every time I attempt to run (every 4 weeks or so) there’s pain after 1 mile. I took some NSAID for two weeks and the pain subsided, but only to come about again after starting to run.

I went to my docter late june (4 weeks post injury). He said bursitis. Got x-rays and they came back negative. I took it easy a couple weeks (only lifting) and it just started hurting again when I attempted to run 2 miles. I’m about to go in next week.

My question is, has anybody had a similar experience and might know what it was. I’d think bursitis would clear up in 2 1/2 months.

Bursitis doesn’t show up on X-rays. Why don’t you go back to your doctor and ask for an MRI-scan.

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
Bursitis doesn’t show up on X-rays. Why don’t you go back to your doctor and ask for an MRI-scan.[/quote]

Yea, I know, only a bone problem would show up. He did it mainly for the chance of a fracture/stress fracture. While I know stress fractures do not always show up on x-rays (or rarely do), the healing process should’ve shown up about 4 weeks into it on the x-ray. I am going back and that is one thought that has crossed my mind from the beginning, an MRI.