Not Sore, Am I Training Hard Enough?

hey all,

whenever i workout, the day after i am not sore at all.

except maybe a small dull ache in my pecs.

is this because i am not working hard enough?

Nathan

Soreness is a poor means to gauge the effectiveness of a training session. Are you making progress toward your goals (strength, size, weight loss)?

Give us training info…

It depends on a number of things. For instance, if you’ve begun training relatively recently then ya, you should probably be sore. Also splits as opposed to full-body workouts tend to make you more sore because of the higher volume per muscle group.

having said that I agree with michael that soreness doesn’t always translate into hypertrophy or strength gains; in fact the more DOMS you get the less productive your recovery will be which is obvously counter-productive

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
Soreness is a poor means to gauge the effectiveness of a training session. Are you making progress toward your goals (strength, size, weight loss)?[/quote]

Totally agree. Forget about how you feel. Make progress no matter what.

i am making progrees. i just wondered why i don’t feel sore…

thanks

Old quote - if you want to be sore, lie down on the road. When you get run over by a car you will be plenty sore but it won’t do anything for your gains!

If you want to get sore, add novelty either by using exercises you haven’t done for a while, or by drastically increasing intensity, especially in the eccentric portion of the lift.

Know that however, if you are lifting heavier weights for more reps consistently, you are getting stronger and bigger, even if you aren’t that sore.

[quote]Sarpedon wrote:
i am making progrees. i just wondered why i don’t feel sore…

thanks[/quote]

What is your training right?

Maybe you’re not working hard enough? Or maybe you’re not doing something right.

Give us an idea of how you train (sets, reps, rest periods, exercises, etc.).

1. Incline dumbbell presses.
    3 sets of 10 reps and on the last set I increase the weight by 2.5kgs

2. Flat dumbbell presses
    3 sets of 10 reps and again I increase the weight on last set

3. Can?t remember what it?s called but basically hold one dumbbell in both hands whilst led down and raise from crotch area to just above head, then back down.

3 sets of 10 reps and increase the weight.

1. Overhead dumbbell presses
    3 sets of ten reps, and increase the weight on last set.

2. Lateral dumbbell raises
    3 sets of ten reps but don?t increase the weight, because I am already at max.
    (My lats suck at the moment)

3. One arm dumbbell rows
    3 sets of 12 reps and increase the weight by 5kgs on last set
    (do for both arms)

4. Can?t remember name but standing, hold dumbbells at arm length down and raise up to nipple height and down again.
    3 sets of 12 reps and increase weight by 5kg’s on last set.

5. Free weight lunges
    3 sets on 10 reps

6. Same as above but with wider legs

7. 2 sets of 25 sit ups

8. 2 sets of 25 reverse sit ups

9. Bicep curls
    3 sets of 12 and increase the weight on last set

10. Hammer curls?
    3 sets of 12 reps and increase weight on last set.

11. Single-Arm Seated Overhead Triceps Extensions
    3 sets of 8 reps

12. Free weights dips
    3 sets of 12 reps.

every other day.

:slight_smile:

Nathan

Jesus, man. How many hours does that take you to finish?

I’d suggest you find a program on this site and try it instead. You need something more well-structured.

-Matt

[quote]Sarpedon wrote:

1. Lateral dumbbell raises
    3 sets of ten reps but don?t increase the weight, because I am already at max.
    (My lats suck at the moment)

Nathan[/quote]

This doesn’t make any sense - it’s going to be impossible to progress unless you try to progress, and I hope you’re not referring to latissimus dorsi.

I agree with Matt - pick a plan from the site. Structural balance and progression will be built in.

[quote]Matt McGorry wrote:
Jesus, man. How many hours does that take you to finish?

I’d suggest you find a program on this site and try it instead. You need something more well-structured.

-Matt[/quote]

Agreed.

With that many exercises and the typical “3 sets of 10 or 12 reps,” you’re not working very hard or getting enough heavy weights in your workout.

Time to find a better plan of attack and follow it with much more intensity than what you’re currently doing.

ok, which plan do you suggest?

can’t go to a gym and own only dumbells and barbell at home.

thanks

[quote]Sarpedon wrote:

can’t go to a gym and own only dumbells and barbell at home.

thanks
[/quote]

What types of weights do you have for both dumbbells and barbells?

You can get a great workout at home if you have enough weight! You don’t need much more than dumbbells and barbells.

Do you have a flat bench? Power rack? Anything else?

i have just reciecved my bench.

it has flyes, bench press, i can incline it and it has a leg thingy.

Nathan

[quote]Sarpedon wrote:

[/quote]

Something where you train your legs with squats and some calf work