T Nation

Not Sleeping Until It's Morning

Alright, here is the short version
I go to bed at 9AM, and wake up about 8-10 hours later.. Sometimes even later. How the fuck do I fix this? For some reason my sleeping rythm has been moved about 7-8 hours..

This is getting frustrating, since school is starting soon..

When you try to go to bed earlier, read something which can help you go to sleep faster. Also, try to set your alarm for a certain time and wake up at that time no matter what.

If you want to wake up at 7am then you set your alarm for 7am and wake up at that time every day. You may want to go back 2 hours every few days so you dont feel like shit. Anyway your body naturally adjusts your sleeping pattern..you may need to go to sleep at different times of night whether its 9pm or 11pm because of an easy day or a hard day but all the same you will wake up at 7am feeling rested.

Try some 5-HTP and ZMA about a half hour before bed - that'll help.

I was on that rhythm doing graveyard shifts... It sucks bigtime.

Scale it back gradually, otherwise when you wake up tired as hell you'll just say "fuck it" and go back to sleep. Set your alarm for 30 minutes earlier each day until you reach your desired rhythm.

OR if you want to do it quickly.... when 9AM hits and it's time for bed, just go outside in the sunlight and do something active to try to stay up until 9-10pm that night... you'll be pretty damn tired after that. Make sure to set your alarm so you wake up.

If you can get your hands on some Ambien, that would be tops for making you pass out quickly when you want. Otherwise I recommend Melatonin over any OTC sleep aid... I went through 2 bottles of "Simply Sleep" and I had to take 5-6 to get any effect. However, 2 melatonin make me pass out pretty quick. Turn off all lights 30 minutes before you want to go to bed too...

When I came back from Thailand, which was a 12 hour time difference, I stayed up the whole night/day I got back (so I was up for 24+ hours) and then went to bed around 9PM the next day, and woke up around 8am the next morning. Make sure you set alarms, and get up at the time you'd like to get up normally.

This fixed my sleeping habits in about a week.