T Nation

Not Reaching Calories but Reaching Macros

Title speaks for itself.I don’t eat junk and eat clean on a strict meal plan. I reach my daily macro needs but i can’t say the same for my calorie intake. Does that mean i’ll be losing muscle?

What Macro aren’t you tracking? If you were hitting your #s for prot, carbs and fat, there’s no way not to reach your caloric goal, it’s simple math.

Also, it doesn’t mean that you’re necessarily losing muscle, but you may not be building any new tissue. Really depends on the specifics.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
What Macro aren’t you tracking? If you were hitting your #s for prot, carbs and fat, there’s no way not to reach your caloric goal, it’s simple math.

Also, it doesn’t mean that you’re necessarily losing muscle, but you may not be building any new tissue. Really depends on the specifics.

S[/quote]

x2

Unless if by “I reach my daily macro needs” you mean you are hitting x amount of protein each day and that is all you care about, then you need to eat more overall food on top of your protein goals for the day. If you have a certain amount of fat, carbs, and protein you want to hit each day, and you hit those, then you’ve hit your calorie goals for the day as well.

Sorry, my mistake, i was in too much of a hurry to post, guess i was just in a panic. Forgot to track the fat properly, i’ve been leaving that one out. my bad. made me think twice telling myself “there’s no way i can’t reach my daily calories when i hit my macros”. Thanks for clarifying that one with me.

[quote]ashylarryku wrote:

Unless if by “I reach my daily macro needs” you mean you are hitting x amount of protein each day and that is all you care about, then you need to eat more overall food on top of your protein goals for the day. If you have a certain amount of fat, carbs, and protein you want to hit each day, and you hit those, then you’ve hit your calorie goals for the day as well.[/quote]

Yeah, to be honest, that’s just what i did with carbs and protein, i left out the fat. Stupid move. Sorry bout that.