T Nation

Not Quite BodyBuilding

Hello everyone, Im new to the site, been reading from it for a while and find it quite useful and resourceful.
Im a PT from Australia (I know I know being a PT doesnt mean much here) anyway Im your typical Ectomorph, although ontop of that im also quite lanky, so pretty much the complete opposite of what you want when trying to gain weight, which like almost every other guy on this forum I am, and have been trying for a while.
While I am a PT, I specialize mostly in Rehabilitation and Weight loss (which for my own personal training is completly useless, though it does mean I know how to exercise properly, motivate myself and be quite strict when it comes to Nutrition)
Last year I worked on a Cruise ship running the gym, and since my days where quite regimented I spent most of the 8 months I was there trying to bulk up.

When I started I was about 68kgs (149lbs) now im around
72-73kgs depending if I need to shit or not (158.4-160lbs)
Im 6ft but most of that is leg, which is a pain in the lack of ass.
Im around 10-12% bodyfat, I rarely do cardio, most of my training onboard was a split program, id do…
Day 1: Chest,Shoulders,Triceps
Day 2: Off
Day 3: Legs,Biceps,Abs
Day 3: Off — Start Again.
I ate 6x a day, deicent quality food, I took what was available since I was on a ship I couldnt go out and buy food but I did have protein shakes…
Heres what I ate…
Breakfast: 7am
8 eggwhites (1-2) yokes
Bowl of oatmeal w/skim milk
2 slices brown toast

Snack 1: 10am
Protein shake approx 30 grams protein
or something like a banana with Penut butter, normally the shake tho

Lunch: 1pm
1 Rotiserie chicken
1 massive salad, w/ tuna, kidney beans, cottage cheese, tomato, lettuse & a small splash less than a tsp of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Sometimes id have a turkey and tuna toasted sandwhich to
or a vegie wrap.

Snack 2: 4pm
same as last snack tho more likley the shake.

Dinner: 5:30-6pm
this is where it went downhill, pretty crappy options most of the time.
@ best it would be 200 grams of some type of meat or even sometimes just a crappy carb. like white pasta

Workout 9pm
… depending on the day, If anyone knows the body-for-life
program, I started it up on the ship with the crew and was doing that, so 6 sets of each ex
set 1,2,3,4,5,6 was 12,10,8,6,12,12 reps with weights
starting going up via PRE (percived rate of exhertion) from 5,6,7,8,9,10 respectivly Tempo 112
I never did the cardio portion of the program because just looking at a treadmill makes me loose weight.

Post-workout snack
Protein shake

As you saw from my measurements I did gain a bit of muscle and I definantly noticed it.
Im clearly what some people call a hardgainer but I never really used that as an excuse, I know my genetics arnt gonna alow me to slap on another 30-50kgs, which would actually be about nesecary to make me what id consider buff
but I know that they would definantly allow more than im currently @.

BTW Im 22, so my metabolisim is still quite high, (one of those people that can eat anything and not put on weight)
I think my daily diet on the ship was well over 4k calories
think it was actually round 6k but cant put a number exactly don’t remember what I had for dinner all the time.
The protein was normally WPI or HWPI but couldnt tell you the brand, and I did take about 3grams of omega 3 daily.

oh.
1 more thing occasionally when Id get a little board of my training id either add or change a workout for a fairly savage circut session, much like the 300 workout tho id rotate exercises, still 300 reps just have to make do with the equipment I had and if it was possible while the boat was rocking.

Thanks to anyone that bothered to read all this.
and if anyone can give me any advice, Im back in Australia so I have much more freedom over my diet now.
and I guess its possible for me to get either Grow!/Metabolic Drive/Flameout or whatever over the net if I cant get it here…

Oh, I forgot to add all my Lifts suck.
Due to being on a ship alot of the time and lacking
alot of either equipment or enough weight I couldnt
do any of the important lifts
Bench never got past 60 kgs, tho it was quite dangerous

anyway with no clips and the boat rocking alot.
The only half deicent lift was on a leg press
(didnt have barbells so I didnt squat or Deadlift)
but I just can’t seem to remember what it was
I do remember it was the whole rack on the leg press
(Cybex) plus 2 xtra half plates, but honestly it still
wasent that hard, i could do it for at least say 8-10 reps
I think it was round 420 lbs

I’ll bite. (not holding my breath)

1. Forget what you think you know about your own potential. Chances are you CAN gain much more than you now think you can if you begin thinking you can. Expunge the term “hardgainer” from your vocabulary.

2. If you really want to make gains that ARE quite bodybuilding you’ll also probably need to forget most of what you know as a PT and treat yourself as a beginner.

3. That means pick a routine designed for novice bodybuilders and work it like your life depended on it. For a while just about any sane program will do if you bust your ass working it.

4. If you spend your time worrying about gaining fat you won’t gain much muscle either. You’ll need manfood and lots of it. I’m pretty much guaranteeing you it will be more than you think. Don’t fear fat. It’s calorie dense and spares your protein. Meat, fish, whole eggs, chickens, pork chops etc. You cannot outgrow your food intake ever.

You’ll need to figure out most of the actual details as you go and learn. You have a PT mindset which doesn’t make you an incurable dumbass, but it will get in the way of your progress if you let it.

I started at 6’2 under 160 soft scrawny pounds. Today I weigh 240 and am not fat. I refuse to believe that almost anybody including you cannot make dramatic eye popping gains if they are willing to radically change the way they live to do it. The human body does not gain tens of pounds of muscle because you ask nicely. It has to be forced to do it, but will get the message if you make consistent hard work and hard eating a priority in your life.

Everything I just said is as basic and fundamental as it gets, but is all anybody who will ultimately do well in this game needs to get started.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

1. Forget what you think you know about your own potential. Chances are you CAN gain much more than you now think you can if begin thinking you can. Expunge the term “hardgainer” from your vocabulary.

2. If you really want to make gains that ARE quite bodybuilding you’ll also probably need to forget most of what you know as a PT and treat yourself as a beginner.

3. That means pick a routine designed for novice bodybuilders and work it like your life depended on it. For a while just about any sane program will do if you bust your ass working it.

4. If you spend your time worrying about gaining fat you won’t gain much muscle either. You’ll need manfood and lots of it. I’m pretty much guaranteeing you it will be more than you think. Don’t fear fat. It’s calorie dense and spares your protein. Meat, fish, whole eggs, chickens, pork chops etc. You cannot outgrow your food intake ever.

You’ll need to figure out most of the actual details as you go and learn. You have a PT mindset which doesn’t make you an incurable dumbass, but it will get in the way of your progress if you let it.

I started at 6’2 under 160 soft scrawny pounds. Today I weigh 240 and am not fat. I refuse to believe that almost anybody including you cannot make dramatic eye popping gains if they are willing to radically change the way they live to do it. The human body does not gain tens of pounds of muscle because you ask nicely. It has to be forced to do it, but will get the message if make consistent hard work and hard eating a priority in your life.

Everything I just said is as basic and fundamental as it gets, but is all anybody who will ultimately do well in this game needs to get started.[/quote]

Nothing else needs to be said…other than why are people so damned turned around lately that they have bodybuilding goals but seem to think they should avoid actually “bodybuilding”? Does that really make sense to the people making these statements? They want to gain muscle…but let’s not call that what it is?

Ok, I’m seeing some major flaws here.

So to sum it up . . .

Eat more.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

1. Forget what you think you know about your own potential. Chances are you CAN gain much more than you now think you can if begin thinking you can. Expunge the term “hardgainer” from your vocabulary.

I started at 6’2 under 160 soft scrawny pounds. Today I weigh 240 and am not fat. I refuse to believe that almost anybody including you cannot make dramatic eye popping gains if they are willing to radically change the way they live to do it. The human body does not gain tens of pounds of muscle because you ask nicely. It has to be forced to do it, but will get the message if make consistent hard work and hard eating a priority in your life.

Everything I just said is as basic and fundamental as it gets, but is all anybody who will ultimately do well in this game needs to get started.[/quote]

OP - I have quoted this so that you can read it again. This is your roadmap for the next 2 years.

Masterful post Tirib. Somebody Sticky it as a standalone post please.

Ditto Brant, where’s the fat bro? 3 grams of omega threes? Why even bother? That’s like my grandparents that take one fish oil capsule a day. 3 grams per meal maybe.

You’re six feet tall and weight 150? That’s serious bean pole territory. You need to get in a shit ton of protein (like 200-250 grams a day minimum) and then eat a lot.

As always, if you went to get serious, find some competitive powerlifters, strongmen or bodybuilders to train with. This training yourself with no outside eyes and no one that has a clue is a recipe for disaster.

And in America we call it the RPE not the PRE.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

But should he cycle his creatine?

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
But should he cycle his creatine?[/quote]

Triple-10 sets had the best creatine protocol I have ever seen.

“Take it with PB so it sticks to your innards.”

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

Damn… that is good shit.

Wow, nice brutally honest and very helpful!
Don’t get me wrong my attitude isent perfect but
its not that bad either, I was simply trying to
accept what I understand is possible, obviously
I wont turn out as the next coleman, but the race
to get huge has just started and im not even
at check point 1 now.

Its pretty much as I expected with Nutrition,
EAT MORE FOOD!, sometimes when you take like
2-3 plates of food it dosnt seem like you
can eat any more, but now that im home
I can definantly work something much better out.
also Back was worked in the second workout, its been
a while I forgot to write it in.

2 more things, just wondering if anyone knows thats in
my position genetically, beanpole territory as someone
sort of to see what I can aim for and I guess if I work
hard exceed.

And lastly With regards to people with the same body structure, what is the advantage, biomechanically if
any to having long arms, and legs, is it good for some
lifts? because it sure as hell sucks for Bench?
I guess Deadlift but I could be wrong…

Your thing about not being able to put on a lot of weight due to genetics? Have you tried putting on weight for a long period of time?

I went from 78kgs to 96kgs (almost same body fat) at 6’5" in 8 months for rugby. It’s amazing how flexible your genetics get when you train 5 days a week and eat all day.

[quote]eigieinhamr wrote:
Your thing about not being able to put on a lot of weight due to genetics? Have you tried putting on weight for a long period of time?

I went from 78kgs to 96kgs (almost same body fat) at 6’5" in 8 months for rugby. It’s amazing how flexible your genetics get when you train 5 days a week and eat all day.[/quote]

One of my frat brothers asked me last night what to do to get bigger. I told him to eat more. His response was that he is eating more and can’t gain weight. You just can’t get through to some people. It obviously requires having them follow you around all day and watch how you actually eat for them to grasp that they still aren’t eating enough.

I swear, some of them must think weight gain is magical or at least involves one or two winged fairies.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I swear, some of them must think weight gain is magical or at least involves one or two winged fairies.[/quote]

And that’s the same as how people who are fat think of fat loss.

It’s amazing how nothing is anyone’s fault anymore.

Tiribulus wrote:
<<< You have a PT mindset which doesn’t make you an incurable dumbass, but it will get in the way of your progress if you let it. >>>

Exhibit A:

[quote]AussiePT wrote:
<<< 2 more things, just wondering if anyone knows thats in
my position genetically, beanpole territory as someone
sort of to see what I can aim for and I guess if I work
hard exceed.

And lastly With regards to people with the same body structure, what is the advantage, biomechanically if
any to having long arms, and legs, is it good for some
lifts? because it sure as hell sucks for Bench?
I guess Deadlift but I could be wrong…[/quote]

Listen friend, you get yourself dialed in for how this game works and these types of things will take care of themselves. I promise you. Worrying about stuff like this now is pure unproductive distraction.

[quote]eigieinhamr wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I swear, some of them must think weight gain is magical or at least involves one or two winged fairies.

And that’s the same as how people who are fat think of fat loss.

It’s amazing how nothing is anyone’s fault anymore.[/quote]

Wait so you won’t lose fat with fairies? Fuck me the store doesn’t take returns.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
But should he cycle his creatine?

Triple-10 sets had the best creatine protocol I have ever seen.

“Take it with PB so it sticks to your innards.”[/quote]

Wow I barely remember saying that. I said that jokingly, but none the less those two things are a great combo for anyone serious about gaining size IMO. Whether you take them seperately or together in a shake.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
<<< His response was that he is eating more and can’t gain weight. You just can’t get through to some people. <<<>>>I swear, some of them must think weight gain is magical or at least involves one or two winged fairies.[/quote]

The nuttiest thing about this is that it’s maybe the simplest, easiest to understand principle there is.

It’s like this.

No matter how much you are now eating if you are not making gains you need… hang on to your hats… MORE. And I didn’t even go to school for that one.

It’s also quite obvious these guys are getting their fairies without wings. You clearly stated WINGED fairies. Just any old bargain bin fairy ain’t cuttin it. This is one area where the generic brands are the kiss of death.

I just came out of the Bunker and came to this thread.

I’m now going back to the Bunker.

PS Eat more.

G’day mate

Looking at your diet its no wonder u are still a beanpole.Dont worry ive been that weight before and im 4 inches taller than u.

I may get flamed for this but get stuck into the fast food.Hungry jacks-Kfc-Maccas-subway whatever.

It’s what has worked for me,i use to eat clean all the time and i stayed the same skinny lanky for ages.soon as i left school and had money to buy my own food and my own car it was off to get fast food.
Im assuming that u are just a naturally skinny dude so dont worry about getting fat. After eating all this fast food plus a few protein shakes and Max-ot i put on 80 pounds.

But dont get me wrong im not saying “only eat fast food” just have 1 or 2 serving’s each day.Continue to eat some quality meals like u have been doing just jack your calories up and u will soon grow.

All the best

King of Kings