Not Making Progress on Deadlift

I haven’t been making progress on the deadlift for the past month even tough i am making progress on other lifts like overhead press, bench press, box squat, leg press.

any tips to overcoming this?

Find out where you’re failing, address the issue, then proceed.

what are you currently doing…

You said your leg press was advancing, along with box squat. Leg press is quads, and a box squat done improperly is quads as well. Deadlift is hamstrings. I’d check your form on the box squat and do some deadlift variations.

[quote]louiek wrote:
You said your leg press was advancing, along with box squat. Leg press is quads, and a box squat done improperly is quads as well. Deadlift is hamstrings. I’d check your form on the box squat and do some deadlift variations.[/quote]

yeah my form on box squats is not too good because i don’t have a box to squat to i just have an bench. which is too high and makes my quads do the majority of the work.

hmm i think i should incorporate more hamstring work, whats the most effective exercise for the hammies in your opinion?

[quote]ultralars wrote:

[quote]louiek wrote:
You said your leg press was advancing, along with box squat. Leg press is quads, and a box squat done improperly is quads as well. Deadlift is hamstrings. I’d check your form on the box squat and do some deadlift variations.[/quote]

yeah my form on box squats is not too good because i don’t have a box to squat to i just have an bench. which is too high and makes my quads do the majority of the work.

hmm i think i should incorporate more hamstring work, whats the most effective exercise for the hammies in your opinion? [/quote]

if your bench is too high , simply make yourself a couple small platforms (plywood works great)to set on floor , and stand on them with bench remaining on floor . this in effect lowers your bench/box height .

1 month is nothing, that’s your problem

[quote]marlboroman wrote:

if your bench is too high , simply make yourself a couple small platforms (plywood works great)to set on floor , and stand on them with bench remaining on floor . this in effect lowers your bench/box height .[/quote]

Or, he could make it a lot simpler and make his own box. Also, at my gym, we have these giant rubber block things that I honestly don’t know what they are originally for. I use one, plus a bumper plate or two, and use that as a box.

Romanian deadlifts, stiff-legged deadlifts, deficit deadlifts, goodmornings, GHRs, etc. There are a ton of exercise that can help. Find the ones that work.

CS

[quote]black_angus1 wrote:

if your bench is too high , simply make yourself a couple small platforms (plywood works great)to set on floor , and stand on them with bench remaining on floor . this in effect lowers your bench/box height .[/quote]

Or, he could make it a lot simpler and make his own box. Also, at my gym, we have these giant rubber block things that I honestly don’t know what they are originally for. I use one, plus a bumper plate or two, and use that as a box.[/quote]

Hell I just stack 25’s when I have to train at commercial gyms. You’re going too fancy with using a giant rubber block thing.

hmm i think i should incorporate more hamstring work, whats the most effective exercise for the hammies in your opinion? [/quote]
Glute Hamstring Raise(GHR)
Rommanian Deadlift
StraightLegDeadlift(SLDL)
Sumo stance SLDL
Pull-Thrus or heavy KB swings thru legs
Seated wide banded leg curls
I got dozens more but try these!

[quote]ultralars wrote:

[quote]louiek wrote:

People have already answered but I’ll chime in.

Good morning (sumo/conv)
Deadlifts (sumo/conv, deficit)
Box squats (put plates under your feet to make the bench feel shorter and learn how to do them correctly)

That’s generally all I do and I’m hamstring weak. There are plenty of variations to do to help your lower body movements, just make sure you feel your weak spots getting hit during training and you’re breaking records in all movements and you’ll be fine.

For hamstring assistance, I do RDLs, 1-legged hamstring curls, hamstring curls, bw ham curls.

[quote]black_angus1 wrote:

Or, he could make it a lot simpler and make his own box. Also, at my gym, we have these giant rubber block things that I honestly don’t know what they are originally for. I use one, plus a bumper plate or two, and use that as a box.[/quote]

well , yeah…an actual box might work also …haha

the box at my gym is too damn small on the surface that gets sat on ; feels like I might slide off the back of it . squatting to a bench feels a ton more stable . thats how I came up with the “platform” idea . in reality , the platform is nothing more than 1" thick piece of ply cut into rectangles that sit on the floor next to a bench . the more ply layers used , the lower the box/bench . way easier than building boxes , stacking plates , etc .

if I lifted in a place where I knew boxes would’nt get fucked with , I would certainly make a few good ones and leave them there .