Not Losing Weight

I wouldn’t substitute, especially if you are off of work and have more free time. If you like sparring, keep doing it. Instead, why not add some HIIT sprints or tabatas? Also, add another hour (or more) of sleep and see if that helps.

[quote]The thing with 4-5 meals and low-carb worked out perfectly for me, when I was preparing for fights, I guess I will give it another try. [/quote] Wait, you’ve done this before and it worked? lol, yeah, if it “works perfectly” that sounds… “perfect” lol
Good luck.

yes, but this was just a short term fat-loss when I was in really good shape and to kick away those last few pounds two weeks before the fight. I also had a better metabolism that time (I’m hitting the dirty thirties in 2 Months :wink: ).

I sleep 9-10 hours each night since I realized the importance for fat loss.

Regarding HIIT and Tabatas, I try to incorporate them on strength days. I knew HIIT would come up, I just needed someone else to say it for motivational reasons ;).
Don’t know when to add them (for recovery reasons between multiple workouts during one day), but I’ll figure it out…

Its not that Muay-Thai doesn’t burn calories, it does. Your body has already adjusted to that exercise though and the caloric demands. Hence why you aren’t losing any more weight. You either need to add more caloric demand, or decrease the calories.

Heavythrower was a good example in his diet thread. He was on his feet running around for 10 hours a day at work, that’s a lot of calories. But his body had already adjusted and in order for him to lose fat, he had to either adjust his calories, or add more cardio, to shock the body into burning its fat reserves.

Hope that makes sense. Also, wanted to sincerely wish you luck on the dieting process, its arduous for sure.

Yes, that makes sense.
Hardest thing at the moment is to get 35g of fibers / day while going low-carb and not eating any grain products, which means I eat all the time while hardly getting calories, but that’s actually a nice problem :wink:

Yea… I won’t comment on fiber. I probably haven’t reached the “recommended” for some time. I only eat 40 - 50g of Carbs a day.

Keep an eye on your fats too. In your original posts they were too high. Get your protein in and based on your caloric need make the difference up with carbs/fats. Here is where you choose to go the low carb or low fat route. The proceed from there after your body adjusts to your current intake for two weeks.

You’ll get there, it just takes time.

[quote]Quasi-Tech wrote:
Its not that Muay-Thai doesn’t burn calories, it does. Your body has already adjusted to that exercise though and the caloric demands. Hence why you aren’t losing any more weight. You either need to add more caloric demand, or decrease the calories.

Heavythrower was a good example in his diet thread. He was on his feet running around for 10 hours a day at work, that’s a lot of calories. But his body had already adjusted and in order for him to lose fat, he had to either adjust his calories, or add more cardio, to shock the body into burning its fat reserves.
[/quote]

Shock the body into burning its fat reserves?
I think you don’t understand how the body works.
Perhaps it might be better to stop dishing out advice until you have a better grasp of these things.
Don’t you dare to be butt-hurt about this.

I find it hard to stay below the 100g carbs / day mark, since I have oatmeal, yoghurt and an apple for breakfast.
Nevertheless I lost 1,2kg since lsitening to your advice (less than a week).
I’ll stick to it, as long as it works, consider this as a thanks for waking me up post.

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
Shock the body into burning its fat reserves?
I think you don’t understand how the body works.
Perhaps it might be better to stop dishing out advice until you have a better grasp of these things.
Don’t you dare to be butt-hurt about this.[/quote]

So you’re saying that when Z-raw told Heavythrower all that running he did at the hospital was completely wrong, he was way off base? Because I simply repeated what he said.

Shelby also has me up the cardio when I stall on progress… to burn more calories.

Kudos to you on getting to say butt-hurt when referring to me. I’m sure you enjoyed it.

Edit: So shock was a poor word choice, the advice that you need to burn more calories than you already are in order to burn fat is true. You are changing the stimulus to your system, so don’t call it shock, call it “change.” Wow.

Also, congrats on your weight loss Sethnacht, keep up the good work. If you delay or stall again, I’m sure people will help you again as you continue towards your goal. Keep us posted!

Hardest challenge: Holiday in France starts on Monday…at least I have a pull-up bar with me.

[quote]Sethnacht wrote:
I find it hard to stay below the 100g carbs / day mark, since I have oatmeal, yoghurt and an apple for breakfast.
Nevertheless I lost 1,2kg since lsitening to your advice (less than a week).
I’ll stick to it, as long as it works, consider this as a thanks for waking me up post.
[/quote]

Good job. Keep it going.

If you’re going to be in a hotel room (which I’m guessing because you stated “holiday” and pull-up bar) there are some good Youtube videos on how to exercise while on business. I think Scooby is one guy who did something similar - I’m not personally a huge fan, but if he has useful suggestions, go for it.

Stuff like push-ups, pull-ups, wall sitting, etc. can all help at least give you some physical exercise and don’t require exercise equipment (though pull-ups do). Just think, lots of guys in jail get by with no equipment in their cell and find stuff to “pick up and put down”. Dips between two chairs/benchs, "deadlifting/rowing your luggage for reps, stupid stuff yea, but it will at least give you some work.

Enjoy your vacation, remember its ok to take breaks.

yupp thx, no, I will stay at my girlfriends place (and I will move to France in October anyway). I already informed myself a little. I guess I will try out some High Intensity stuff, like the 100 burpees in 10 minutes - challenge. let’s see how it will work out for me.

Another question, might be stupid: My veins are clearly more visible and “coming out” since the last three weeks, a friend of mine told me, this happens when body fat is shed at those parts of the body. Is this true?

Yes, the leaner you get, the more your veins will show.

If you deny your body carbs for a few days, or a week or so, then carb up, your veins will also really pop, kind of cool, but a bit off topic.

I’ve gained an appreciation for the veins I’ve acquired as I’ve leaned out… still not a roadmap, but looking forward to getting there.

And the only stupid question is the one not asked… or the one posted in the off-topic forums. :wink:

What would you say is the max. caloric deficit/day for healthy fat loss?

The reason why I ask is, I get my macros ( max. 100g carbs a day, 2g Protein per kg/BW) and just reach around 1500-1800kcal a day. I do not feel hungry (as soon as I am hungry I eat a little) and I lose weight (slowly), but I just wanna know if this is disadvantageous (I guess so) regarding health and muscle loss.

You don’t need as many calories as people make it seem. If you’re not losing weight just eat less muscle loss and “metabolic damage” are both blown way out of proportion

yo dude, i started training (again) 6 months ago, i really let myself go was 14 stone 12 pounds at a height of 5’10.
i wouldn’t worry too much, 6 months later of doing relatively high frequency (4-5 timers a week) training and i have actually put on 5 pounds however i have noticed a vast improvement in physique. muscle weighs more than fat and doing a lot of compound exercises is going to add muscle where you cant necessarily see it, just keep at it bro ignore the scales and go by what you see that’s my advice.

[quote]myself1992 wrote:
You don’t need as many calories as people make it seem. If you’re not losing weight just eat less muscle loss and “metabolic damage” are both blown way out of proportion[/quote]

Strongly disagree about metabolic damage being blown out of proportion…countless competitors, not to mention typical trainees have pushed into uncharted territories of leanness, only to quickly gain back all of the fat they lost and then some as a result of adding food back in too quickly at the conclusion of the diet

Valid question. I’m not sure I have the qualifications to answer it. That said, how lean are you already and why are you dropping so low?

If you are not losing at higher cals, yeah, cut cals and see what happens. But if you are just dropping calls to drop cals, you might want to rethink it. Eh, my 2 cents, but I’d rather keep cals a bit higher and add more athletic activity than drop cals and activity… Of course, do what works for you,man

Good luck. I hope others respond to this question. I’d like to read the debate…hmmmm…maybe a new thread in BSL

Damn autocorrect cals not calls

Thx once more for your answers, it’s not that I am desperately going as low as possible calorie-wise, it’s just that, for example yesterday, I had deadlift day and finished with 3 rounds of the randy couture circuit and ate (like everyday) ~1900 kcal, simply because I was not that hungry (emphazising the last words).

My theory (might as well be BS):
Metabolism is down and doesn’t crave for more food despite hard physical activity.
The reason I assume this is, that also my BW just drops really slow despite intense workouts 3-5 times a week.

What I mean is:
I don’t know if it is fine to eat beyond satiety just to hit certain calories (while fulfilling the macros).

Well “at least” my gym perfomances increased really well since I take shit more seriously.