Not Losing Fat

Hey Everyone, just finished up my first bulkig cycle a few weeks back and wanted to cut a little bit because I was getting a tad chubby. However, while my eyes are telling me that i am looking better, my BF measurements tell me that I am indeed losing weight but an not losing any fat! Here is what my chart looks like with a couple weeks left out.

jan 2 - 159.6 @ 12.0% 139.920 LBM

feb 13 - 168.0 @ 12.7% 146.664 LBM (7 lbs in just over one month… I was a newbie and eating like a mad man)

Mar 1 - 174.6 @ 14.6% 149.108 LBM
Mar 7 - 174.2 @ 13.1% 151.379 LBM
Mar 13 - 177.2 @ 14.4% 151.683 LBM
Mar 20 - 177.8 @ 15.1% 150.952
Apr 03 - 179.6 @ 14.9% 152.839 (14 LBs of LBM increase!!)

Apr 10 - 175.4 @ 14.6% 149.791
apr 24 - 172.4 @ 14.9% 146.7 (6 LBs of LBM Loss!!)

I am eating plenty of protein, going to the gym 3x a week, more when I can. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Would HOT-ROX or Carbolin-19 help? Any advise is welcome.

Losing body fat is All about nutrition so that is the first place I would want to take a look at.
All you mention is that you eat plenty of protein and go to the gym 3x a week.

Take a good look at your sources of protein and especially the types and amounts of carbs you are ingesting.

Gym work maybe needs to be adjusted. Go for total body type workouts with little rest. HIIT cardio. But again, and I say it loud–It’s all about what you do or don’t put in your mouth.

On a side note–Did you really weigh yourself to the tenth of a pound and figure out your body fat/lbm each week?

Ha… My scale is digital, so yes I did weigh myself to the tenth of a pound. I just the calc on windows and it takes like 15 seconds to measure BF% so i might as well do it.

I eat plenty of chicken, wheat bread, oatmeal, Surge, Grow!, eggs. Those are probably the majority of my diet. I guess we will just see what happens. thanks for the response.

Those scales are not accurate for “bodybuilding” or athletic types…at least that is what my scale says.

You need to get a BF% measurement from a set of calipers. Ask your gym if they’ll do it for you…and only go back to the same person. It’s all about consistency and technique.

Personally, I always go back to the cutie-trainer…who better to take your shirt off in front of :wink:

This is a simple issue of calories and food sources like the other poster wrote.

How many cals do you take in now?
How many cals are you supposed to eat?

If you don’t have the answer to those nagging questions of the top of your head you need to do this. That is the key. Caloric manipulation is THE most important issue for fat loss. Food sources are second, because even with great food sources if your energy intake is too high you’ll still gain weight.

[quote]StrongMan wrote:
Those scales are not accurate for “bodybuilding” or athletic types…at least that is what my scale says.
[/quote]

This is true. There is no way I would trust the reading on a digital electrical impedence scale. Most get more and more wrong the more muscle you carry on your frame beyond “average”. I have returned two of those things because of that. Even the hand held one that I own is off but more reliable to be constant than the ones you stand on.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
This is true. There is no way I would trust the reading on a digital electrical impedence scale. Most get more and more wrong the more muscle you carry on your frame beyond “average”. I have returned two of those things because of that. Even the hand held one that I own is off but more reliable to be constant than the ones you stand on.[/quote]

God I hope so … someone using an electrical impedence BF tester on me told me I had only lost less that 1 % BF, and 4 lbs of LBM after 6 weeks of dieting and losing 11 lbs. My arms and legs were actually bigger on my measurements and I lost over an inch in my waist. Obviously something is amiss … Screw that from now on its calipers and the mirror.

[quote]lothos wrote:

God I hope so … someone using an electrical impedence BF tester on me told me I had only lost less that 1 % BF, and 4 lbs of LBM after 6 weeks of dieting and losing 11 lbs. My arms and legs were actually bigger on my measurements and I lost over an inch in my waist. Obviously something is amiss … Screw that from now on its calipers and the mirror. [/quote]

Good call. I personaly think the Tanita for home use is worse than no measurement at all.

Not to hijack the thread and in defense of the Tanita, I found the following:

1. These things are like anything else; they work for some, not for others.

2. I have a tendency to hold visceral fat. I truly believe the Tanita does a better job of fat measuring when this is the case.

3. The scale and calipers seem to intersect around the 12% mark and track pretty well from there ?down?.

4. When using the scale, I must be consistent on my food and hydration levels for it to be accurate for comparison purposes.

5. I think it?s a tool and you need to know how to use it and keep it in perspective.

I think an even simpler tool besides BF% is a tape measure… if your arm/chest/leg measurements hold fairly steady and your waist measurement goes down your definatly on the right track

BEI isn’t perfect, but who cares. As long as the percent BF number is decreasing.

And nutrient timing is everything. Check out Dr. Berardi’s articles about this.