Not Just Physical Improvement

[quote]Mad HORSE wrote:

[quote]kineticj wrote:
Can’t say for sure that being a little more fit than the average has helped me in my profession, but it probably has.

I can tell you that being a “bigger” guy that has owned several pickup trucks, I seem to be on speed dial for every piano move, home relocate and weekend landscape project in town.[/quote]

This! I swear to God that if you own a truck and have ever touched a barbell, everyone wants to be your friend on moving day. Dammit.[/quote]

I got my first truck in November, and have found this to be annoyingly true.

I do think a dedication to training improves other facets of my life because the discipline carries over to different aspects of life. I think for one who is more interested in the jersey shore workout that they would probably give a different answer.

As far as physical strength goes, now-a-days you don’t need it. We are in a time where we just do not need to be strong to succeed in this world. And improving on physical stregnth, in my opinion, doesn’t have any benefit for most jobs. As others have mentioned, it may actually be a hinderance.

I think it’s a stretch to say that lifting improves your mental performance, although i guess that is totally possible. Question for the OP. Do you think that maybe your diet is the main reason that your mental performace is improving? Rather than lifting weights?

jskrabac, well put. I didn’t mean this originally, but it is very relevant.

TD54, that’s a good question. My best answer is yes. Since I started weights and diet conciousness at the same time, I don’t have a picture of how I function with one and not the other though.

After reading everyone’s feedback, I think I was originally getting at the mental edge that I’ve developed with training. Now, I say developed because it didn’t just appear. I must have had some desire in my head to be a meathead and push hard under the iron as jskrabac pointed out. I realize not everyone (including some really smart people) has the desire to do this. However, I think people are missing something if they don’t understand or experience how their body responds to eating right and training hard. Maybe it’s a self confidence thing. Mine has increased considerably since I started making progress in the gym. Thanks everyone for the feedback.