T Nation

Not Improving with Current Nutrition. Advice?

Good Morning All,

I’m new here and looking for some feedback. I feel as though my nutrition strategy is dialed in appropriately, but the scale is not budging, nor does the mirror reflect an improved physique. My goal right now is to slowly cut.

Diet is as follows:

Breakfast: 1 cup of egg whites, 2 whole eggs, 2 cups of veggies, 5oz chicken

Mid-morning snack: 2 scoops ON whey protein mixed with 2 olive oil shooters.

Lunch: 8oz of chicken, 1/2 cup of white rice, 2 cups of veggies.

workout typically at 5pm

Post-workout: 2 scoops of ON whey protein with 100g of cereal.

Dinner: 10oz of lean steak (if available based on budget, otherwise it’s 10oz of chicken), 2 cups of veggies, 2 olive oil shooters.

Before bed: 2 scoops ON whey protein.

*I should have noted. I use “olive oil shooters” so frequently, people are unfamiliar with it. One shooter = 1tbsp.

*Just started a cycle of 300mg prop and 400mg tren.

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Is time a factor here? Like how long have you been at this particular eating plan? 2 weeks or 6 mos.?

I’ve noticed in trying to cut some fat lately that we gain by the pound but lose by the gram.

I’ve been at it for about 3 weeks now. Typically following the route of 1-2lbs/week for fat loss, because the last time around, that’s what happened. I’m just wondering if my metabolism has stalled or something. Perhaps I should increase cardio from 3x/week to 5x/week. Currently doing 20min LISS. Steep incline, brisk walk.

And training age? Total time lifting, training, eating with purpose, etc?

Like if this is a new year’s resolution thing and you’re 50 lbs. overweight the solution will be different than if you’re 12%, trying to shred down for a photo shoot.

If it’s the former I’d say give it a little time. If it’s the latter, I’m not really qualified to advise.

1 Like

33 years old. Training 10+ years. 6 years were dedicated to powerlifting and eating anything that wasn’t bolted down. That resulted in huge amounts of fat gain, not surprisingly (my total was good, though! haha). Eating with purpose for about 3 years and had a coach last year, but had to abandon that due to other obligations in life (getting married, kid on the way, looking at a new house, etc.). Probably sitting at 18-20% right now. 220lbs.

Eh, there are probably more severe measures to rush results, but it might just be a time thing. A little increase in activity level (liss and whatnot) might help, but your food consumption doesn’t look out of hand or really in any way bad.

Thank you for your help, SkyzkyS!

You’re welcome, but others my chime in that have some good/better ideas too.

I agree with @SkyzykS, if you don’t have a deadline don’t change anything unless the scale stays the same for two weeks.

You mentioned the word budget, otherwise I’d suggest maybe varying your fat choices somewhat. That’s a lot of olive oil.

Depending on the cereal 100g of it can be a lot of sugar. Like, too much.

Eating any fruit?

Sounds good. I’ll continue to monitor it for the next two weeks and if no improvement is made, I’ll make adjustments.

I figured it was a bit too much olive oil, but I saw it as being convenient since I can just throw it in a shake or on top of some vegetables. I’ll probably replace one of them with half of an avocado depending on how things go.

Cereal is something like Wegmans Cinnamon Cheerios and yeah, it probably is a bit high in sugar. My theory behind that is just using it as a quick carb with post-workout shake to spike insulin quick.

Currently, no fruit. Perhaps I should add some blackberries and raspberries as I like them. Blueberries are amazing, but being out of season, they are stupid expensive.

1 Like

I actually really like that and have used either shredded wheat or cinnamon toast crunch.

My favorite is Frosted Mini Wheats, but I find that the Wegmans brand sucks as there is not enough frosting lmao. I splurge and pay the extra $1.50 for Post Frosted Mini Wheats hahahaha.

1 Like

It’s absolutely convenient, not going to hold it against you. It’s more in the spirit of sharing my view of what you are currently doing as alternatives to consider and not a criticism. You can eat a lot worse than you currently are, and still lose weight.

Avocado is not a bad choice, you’ll get a slightly different micronutrient profile there than from olive oil but the pair provide you with the same kind of fat (monosaturated)

Keep an eye out for when things are on the cheap and try to rotate when flavour-combinations, convenience, and budget allows,

Monosaturated

• Olive oil
  • Avocados
  • Peanuts & groundnuts
  • Tree nuts

Saturated

• Animal fats
  • Coconut (shredded, milk, yoghurt, oil)
  • Cacao (nibs, power)
  • Palm (oil)

And polyunsaturated,

• Fatty fish (salmon)
  • Flax
  • Chia seeds

Also, consider your training in relation to your carbohydrate intake.

Here are some variations to consider, I didn’t write this (CT did), but note that case 3 and 4 have the highest carbohydrate needs. I’m not sure how you train, but if it’s case 2 you might be taking in more carbs than you need,

CASE 1 – Marius is an Olympic lifter, each of his workouts last about 2 hours because he needs more mobility work, then he needs plenty of warm-up sets to work on his technique. When he gets to his work sets he does 5 sets of 2 on the snatch, 5 sets of 2 clean & jerks and 5 sets of 2 front squats. This is a total of about 30 work reps… maybe up to 60-70 reps when we count warm-ups. And none of the sets are longer than 10 seconds (this means that he never needs to rely on glycogen for fuel).

CASE 2 – Will is a powerlifter. His workout lasts about 90 minutes. He does one main lift (squat for example) for 5 sets of 3 reps, 2 main assistance exercises (let’s say front squat and goodmorning) for 5 sets of 5 each. He finishes off with some muscle building work, 3 sets of 8 leg curls and 3 sets of 8 leg extensions. He has a total volume of about 115 reps. 16 of his sets last a little over 10 seconds. So he does use a little more glycogen for fuel than Marius but doesn’t rely heavily on it.

CASE 3 – Danko is a bodybuilder. His workout lasts about 60 minutes. He is in pre-contest mode and does supersets to have a higher caloric expenditure. He does three supersets: A1 Bench press + A2 Bent over row ; B1 Incline DB press + B2. Chin-ups ; C1 Weighted dips + C2 Seated cable row. He does 4 sets of 12 reps per exercise using a fairly slow tempo. His volume is around 290 reps and his sets all last longer than 20 seconds, relying heavily on glycogen for fuel.

CASE 4 – Taz is a Crossfiter. He does a WOD with a time cap of 30 minutes. During those 30 minutes he does 4 rounds of:

20 deadlift @ 225lbs

20 power clean @ 135lbs

20 push press @ 135lbs

20 KB swings @ 32lbs

20 burpees

Each round has 100 reps so his workout includes a total of 400 reps. He uses mostly glycogen for fuel since the 30 minutes are non-stop

And just an observation as you mentioned no mirror change, there is a BF percentage span where you essentially look the same and it’s quite large. Something like 13-18% (quoting from memory). Just persevere.

1 Like

Thank you so much, buddy! I fall into Case #3, just not in pre-contest mode because I have no plans to compete. I’ll keep an eye on the different fats you mentioned because I’m sure I could rotate them for different macro profiles and overall health. Coming full circle, I’ll continue to persevere. Thanks for your input and guidance!

That’s a cool post about workout style and carbs.

To see it layed out like that makes it easy to understand.

Agreed!

Good luck. And if you still find that you are stalled in two weeks you can either increase LISS, decrease calories, or try some swaps. I. e. replace the cereal with say, oats. And the rice with sweet potato. Then as you become leaner you can bring the cereal back again probably. And the rice.

so much protein intake… drop the mid morning snack and the before bed snack man

drink 1 scoop of protein shake after the workout with some froots

bring back the carbs after workout dont be afraid of carbs

What I see:

• A s&€# ton of omega-6.
  • very little fiberous vegetables.
  • needs a second mention. Wayyyyyy too little fiber.
  • low quality carbs.
  • bit too much Prot per meal.

I don’t see that one working well. Several reasons:

• Your digestion will not cherish this diet
  • your gut bacteria aren’t going to love you for this.
  • you won’t produce decent “Stool”
  • stomach acidity will get really high.
  • tissue inflammation.
  • more sick days.
  • high muscle soreness.
  • wierd cravings.

Sure it might somewhat works in the short run. But will cost you a lot in the long run.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on the lack of fiberous vegetables? 6 cups of vegetables, with a good portion of them being broccoli, seems relative high in fiber to me. I’m always open to improvements!

I’ve yet to understand more regarding Omega-6’s, and I am aware that the typical Western Diet has entirely too many, but olive oil is relatively low in them. I can’t afford grass-fed meats, despite them being low, and seafood is out of the question due to a fish allergy. I do supplement with fish oil if that helps matters.