Not Gonna Be a Weak Butterbar!

5/3/1 Push Press (Wednesday, 01/28/09)

I’m doing a Push Press day instead of strict press.

Push Press: 125 & 130x5, 140x9

2 Board Press: 2x5x185 (no spotter)
DB Rows: 75x10
Curlz for teh gurlz

Not all that bad for Push Press, got a bruise right near my sternum from this day. My overhead pressing power is probably my biggest weakness right now so I definitely want to put my all in to improving it.

2 Board volume is going to ramp up to 5x3 hopefully. It just so happens to be right at my bench sticking point which makes a paused press off the board one hell of a difficult lift. More work to come.

[u]5/3/1 Deadlift and Bench (Saturday 01/31/09)[/u]

Unfortunately had to combine deadlift and bench day into one this week because of time constraints- because of next week’s PT test the same will probably happen again.

Snatch Grip DL: 365 miss, 275x7
Bench: 185x9 (big PR)

Front Squat: 2x5x195
Military: 2x5x115

365 was going up on the DL but I lost my grip just below knee level. Snatch grip with index outside the rings is hard as hell to hold onto. Got 335, so I’ll be working off of a 325 max for that and a 220 max for bench. 185x9 was a big PR for me but I’m still pissed that I didn’t get 10. All in due time.

The second assistance movement for both of these days has me a little stymied, wouldn’t mind some input.

I may use a quad based lift like a Leg Press to help off the floor on Deadlift day, but I’m going to have to seriously experiment with the leverages on both ones we have at the gym because I’m not a big fan of either. I might go with a GHR or Hang Clean just for the hell of it.

Probably going to go with a heavy row like T-bar on Bench day. Currently I’m keeping up with pullups outside of the gym, sets whenever I leave ROTC and most of the time that I’m in the gym.

Summary of Two Weeks of Training and Why Ankle Injuries Suck

Yep, another massive update although for a decent reason this time. Had to skip most of the first week of Feb’s training for a PT test on Thursday. Running in 12 degree weather is not fun and my score reflected it. The next day at PT another cadet basically fell on my ankle/foot during PT which led to a very complete ankle sprain that’s been a bitch until recently. I got a quick Bench session in (PR at 195x7) that week but not much else.

I decided to test out the foot last Tuesday (2/10) and found that I could squat without pain even though going down stairs and running were terrible lol. PR at 260x7, did Boring but Big for 3x10 and nearly died and then messed around with some of the kettlebells that magically appeared in our gym the other week. Some other misc workouts including a weighted pullup at +45x3 and another bench PR at 205x6. Bottoms up kettlebell presses are a bitch.

I got another pulling session in this week although I didn’t want to risk Push Press on the foot. Snatch Grip Deadlift PR at 295x8, once again grip being the limited factor. I’m also messing around with a Cybex Squat Press as some quad assistance, not a bad machine.

Squat today and better updates in the future!

5/3/1 Squat (Monday 02/16/09)

Squat: 275x6 reps (PR)
Squat BBB: 4x10x165
Too dead for anything else.

CoC and Ab wheel rollout

Really wanted more reps with 275 today, but no spotter + cold + damn foot. 285 coming up next cycle. The BBB thoroughly destroyed me again but at least I got another set in this time around. Plan was to do some light single leg work but the foot didn’t like it.

Have been doing some CoC holds and ab wheel throughout the night. First day back at PT tomorrow, we’ll see how the foot holds up while running.

205X6 bench
275X6 squat

Good stuff, IA.

Keep us posted! Look forward to the next update, which will hopefully discuss a healed foot.

Hehe we’ll see about that one. Oh shit, I took pics too that I still have to upload- bruising galore.

I wrote a veritable essay here with some of my thoughts on Ed Coan Deadlift: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/coanphillipi_success_and_failure?pageNo=0#2814765

Bench Accessory (Thursday 02/18/09)

Speed Bench: 8x3x135 (half with chains), then work up to 225
Military Press: 2x5x120
Seated, Inverted and KB Rows

My bench is actually ahead of my other lifts by a week because of the foot injury so I just decided to mess around with some chains today and do a bunch of rowing.

Chains seriously make you feel retarded, the extra weight and swaying is not natural but it was fun. I also reaffirmed the Military Press as my most hated lift, can’t get the right pattern of breathing down even for a set of 5.

Rest of the day was good.

/1/ Deadlift (Friday 02/20/09)

Snatch Grip Deadlift: 315x1+ : 3 reps
Cycling

I injured my back years ago shoveling snow before I ever started lifting. Healed up fine but never got an exact diagnosis. I reaggravated it over the summer on Maximum Strength but it’s been tame since then until today.

Not only was I weak as hell today even going into 225 but even bending forward to pick up plates was painful. After just getting 3 reps with 315 I sat down for a couple minutes and just decided to get some cardio in and GTFO out of the gym.

It’s been a couple days now and it’s better but still not good. I’ve never, ever been stopped from lifting by back pain before. I can’t help but think that it’s related to the foot/ankle injury- same side, probably some type of compensation for limited ROM.

Judging from the area around the left PSIS I’d say it’s either lower erectors or QL, but the pain is also seems more spinal than muscular. Kind of like a grinding in the general area that I feel like I could crack out if I tried hard enough (but that would be stupid).

Wasn’t planning on deloading until my next PT test but this week is going to be a bunch of prehab. Really want to get home and get an X-ray and some ART done.

/1/ Push Press (Saturday 02/21/09)

Push Press: 155x1+ : 7 reps (PR)
Pullups: 14 (PR)
BBB Military Press: 3x10x65
Ab Wheel

Was feeling better today, got two nice PRs in the bag. Wanted 15 pullups but I wasn’t completely fresh either. It’s nice to know that I can make progress without training them in the gym- we have a spiral staircase in our new apartment that has a bar that’s perfect for pullups and I’m trying to get a couple sets in every day.

3rd set of BBB Military snuck up on me, these were very strict with short rest times though and it felt great. Afterwards got a couple sets in on the Ab Wheel which I’m definitely progressing on, can almost get a full paused ROM rep from the knees now.

Deload Squat (Monday 02/23/09)

Warmed up to 205 and was just getting too much pain to continue squatting.

Did a good amount of Squat Press but even loading the plates onto the machine was giving me trouble at times.

Cycling and Ab Wheel and called it a day. Time to recover.

Deload Bench (Wednesday 02/25/09)

2 Board Press: Work up, 245 good PR, 255 miss
Military Press: 2x5x125 (PR)
BBB Bench: 5x10x105
Seated and Inverted Rows

Pissed about missing 255 after how easy 245 was. No biggie though. I got a nice PR on the military press, but I’m not sure whether to go for 2x5x130 next week or just up to 135 and do doubles or triples.

No back pain while lifting today, it just seems to be good morning and flexion type movements.

Get that back better, man.

Nice 2 board and military.

That’s the plan- how’s are your injuries coming along?

Yesterday’s Workout

Deload Deadlift (Friday 02/28/09)

Sumo Deadlift: 275x3 (top)
Leg Press: many sets, RP 310x50
Side Plank

Sumo was pretty much all glutes, adductors and hamstrings. I figured it wouldn’t hit my lower back much at all and I was right until I got aggressive with 275. Backed off after that and went into some murder sets with Leg Press. After having done sets of 10 with everything until 350 I decided to Rest Pause 310 which looked something like 21-rest-30-rest-50. I was nearly dead by 40 but pushed through.

Today’s workout to come later.

[quote]IronAbrams wrote:
That’s the plan- how’s are your injuries coming along?[/quote]

Things have been feeling good lately. Every few days I get back tightness and slight pain, but nothing serious. Back squat variations are the exercise that aggravates it. Everything else seems to treat it well.

My pec is a lot better now. Well enough to get some horizontal pressing going again. I think my major indicator for upper body pressing strength will be push presses from here on out. Just have to make sure I continue to do lower trap work to keep things evened out.

http://www.performanceu.net/video_link05.html

This video is gold, man. I thought it would help you by giving you another core exercise and a good test for glute activity.

I actually use that test as an activation drill now, and I can attest to its effectiveness.

On my 315 box squat I felt my glutes kick in off the box better than I have ever, and that testing day was the first day I used this as an activation drill.

Glutes are just part of the equation, but every little bit helps.

Deload Push Press (Saturday 02/28/09)

Push Press: Work up to 115, very easy
Chinups: 15 (PR)
BBB Military: 5x10x65
Seated Rows and Curlz
Depth Pushups

This was a good day. Somewhat strange that my narrow grip chin is only one rep ahead of my wide grip pullup but 15 is a good number. Got in all my reps on the BBB Military finally but that crap really destroys whatever pressing ability that I have for the rest of the session.

I’m doing Depth/Power Pushups in an attempt to emulate this insanity: darius slowik power push ups high box - YouTube

Thanks for the heads up man. I ran across that link and it’s been sitting in my Firefox browser for the past week and just now watched it. That’s a good drill, reminds me to get back to McGill and side planks and bird dogs.

One thing that might have played a factor with the back was that I basically couldn’t do any warmup drills with the injured foot that depended on a single leg position so I was pretty limited to bodyweight squats.

/5/ Bench and Squat (Monday 03/02/09)

Front Box Squat: 225x1, 190x5
2 Board Press: work up 185, 195, 210x5
BBB Bench: 5x10x65
Machine Rows and Dips (high volume)
welcometothegunshow

Like I was hoping, Front Box Squatting doesn’t cause me any pain- very little forward lean because of the upright torso, lots of leg, hip and core involvement. Count this one a new favorite.

PT Test coming up on Thursday (that’s today, fun fun) so I condensed both days into one. That and no spotter so I just hit my reps and went on to assistance work.

PT Test (Thursday 03/06/09)

Had a great performance today- maxed pushups (72), 70 situps and my run is almost passing after the foot injury (16:23). My running form has definitely took a dive but more so my conditioning. Still, it was a good test and I’m closing in on a good score.

Was feeling anxious to lift some iron but I got to the gym very late after dinner and helping friends out so I only had 20 minutes or so.

Sumo Deadlift: 225, 235x3, 250x10

Much better lift today. Stopped at 10 mostly because my setup was uncomfortable rather than failing. Sumo is a very different lift.

Alright guys, that’s going to be the last update until Monday- I’ve got an 8 hour drive to the Arnold! I’ll be sure to get some awesome pictures for you guys.