Not Giving a Shit

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
Prof X, it’s not that me thinking its pathetic is directly affecting my response (or rather absence of one), its just a complete absence of emotion, negative and positive, like you said. It’s like a mental state into itself. Like I am just completely indifferent to it and couldn’t give a shit whether it completely ceased to exist that second and almost nothing could change that. I think it’s pretty awesome. Could be the result of lots of meditation as I hear it lets you control your emotions better.

Actually, when someone starts talking about something I think is pathetic I get pretty involved in the conversation. I consider what most peopel consider to be interesting to be boring and what most peopel consider boring or stupid to be fun. I am known to sit in Barnes and Noble for hours and just read and drink iced tea, but go insane if you put on Survivor. Any psychologists here?[/quote]

I would guess that this describes many people here on this site. How many people do you know today who actually read books? I was a Robin Cook(a doctor) and Stephen King fan since the 5th grade. Out of even the people I call friends, I am the “nerd” of the group. I don’t see any of that as a negative. I don’t even watch much tv. The TV I do watch is when a series I like comes out on DVD…like Alias, CSI or Smallville(I’m a Superman fan). Everything else can go to hell.

I agree with this attitude. Something that really pisses me off about other people is when they whine and complain incessantly about some aspect of their life, whether it is their job or their relationship. You hear the same stories day in and day out, week after week. I always respond with, “so, what are you doing to change it?” and they look at me like I’m nuts.

I don’t bitch about things unless I’m looking for help or suggestions from others and I really want to change the situation I’m in.

[quote]SicTorn wrote:
I agree with this attitude. Something that really pisses me off about other people is when they whine and complain incessantly about some aspect of their life, whether it is their job or their relationship. You hear the same stories day in and day out, week after week. I always respond with, “so, what are you doing to change it?” and they look at me like I’m nuts.

I don’t bitch about things unless I’m looking for help or suggestions from others and I really want to change the situation I’m in.[/quote]

I’m with you there. If you’re not willing to do something immediately to change a situation, you forfeit your ability to bitch about it.

As for caring about stuff in general, once I learned that 90% of what would be considered by many “general life” is bullshit and took responsibility for myself, my dependents, and those close to me - I couldn’t help but adopt a “Fuck it all” attitude. So much of that crap just doesn’t matter, why waste my energy on it?

Its is not dickness. It’s like no matter how hard I try I just couldn’t care about it. I just think most things in the world today are pathetic and fucked up and they just dont move me. I am very passionate about some things though and am by no means a hollow man.[/quote]

Holy CRAP ! I thought I was alone with these feelings. I think I may be somewhat sociopathic, but I really don’t care. I tend to divide people into 3 basic catagories. There are people I HATE so much I wish they were dead. ( I learned to hate working in a mill with some real c0cksuckers for 20 yrs ) There are people I love, and would do anything for. And most people, I don’t know, so I really don’t give much of a crap about them one way or the other.

Kombat Athlete,

I am in no way a shrink, but did something bad hit you really hard in the past 3 years or so? I had a bunch of crap hit me all at once( break-up, friends dying) and I basically got the " I don’t care " attitude. I never felt like that until all that shit happened. It may be a defense mechanism.

[quote]SicTorn wrote:

I don’t bitch about things unless I’m looking for help or suggestions from others and I really want to change the situation I’m in.[/quote]

Exactly. Actually, for me, it’s not that I don’t care, it’s that I don’t get it. The kind of crap that seems to afflict most people doesn’t seem to affect me.

Most complain about their wives or some aspect of family life that they should have under control. It’s like that line from the Pink Floyd song: “Their fat, psychopathic wives would thrash them within inches of their lives.”

I’m sure I look like an idiot when they talk, either that or they think I’m smug. I usually stand there trying to smile in a neutral sort of way with absolutely no idea of what to say. It’s like they’re speaking in a foreign language. I guess I’d be pretty bad as a psycho-therapist.

RB

Hi,
I thought I would contribute. I have found that I have become quite the dick head as far as caring about what most people have to say. This could be because most people talk about 1 of 3 things, Work, (unless I work with you I could care) relationships, (all relationships are the same they start out great and end up boring) or they bitch about the problem they are having rather than try to come up with a solution to it. My dick head attitude could stem from my disgust at the way an average american citizen spends his/her day.

" I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don’t know why. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip" -Patrick Bateman- American Psycho

I could give a flying shit about any celebrity’s life. I don’t care, don’t give a shit. I like movies, don’t get me wrong. I just don’t want to hear your opinion on any political topic, religion topic, or any other topic.

I don’t care who you’re dating, who you’re fucking, what you eat, how much weight you gained or lost, I don’t care.

And the worst offense is when you sit there and do commercials under the guise of “TMYK - The more you know” trying to teach me how to better parent my kids. You probably just got done snorting nose candy of some ho’s ass and you’re giving me tips on how to better know my kids through a 30 second commercial. You self-absorbed dickhead.

As you can tell, I have a real disdain for anything hollywood. At the same time I guess I could be considered a hypocrite because I enjoy many of the movies they make. But I still don’t give a rat’s ass about any celebrities personal life. And for the people (women), who buy these damn magazines should be put out of their misery. So that’s what I don’t care about :wink:

There, I feel better now.

[quote]SicTorn wrote:

Yeah. it’s the whining and complaining i can do without. different things matter for different people, and as hard as it is sometimes, i try to empathize for that because i think it makes me a wiser stronger person…knowledge is power no matter how minute the knowledge. but complaining just to complain i can do without, and i notice it more every day.

Nothing bad has happened to me recently. I live a very happy life and am honestly one of the happiest people I know. I think this is partly because of my indifference to many external events and lack of dependence on external factors for happiness.I am very spiritual but not religious and meditate frequently. I think it might actually be that Buddhist thing about being detatched from worldly affairs. I think that Not Giving a Shit is actually a very good thing is this case and is for many people.

Nothing bad has happened to me recently. I live a very happy life and am honestly one of the happiest people I know. I think this is partly because of my indifference to many external events and lack of dependence on external factors for happiness.I am very spiritual but not religious and meditate frequently. I think it might actually be that Buddhist thing about being detatched from worldly affairs. I think that Not Giving a Shit is actually a very good thing is this case and is for many people. [/quote]

I can agree with this. I flipped past O’Reilly long enough last night to hear him go off on a magazine editor blaming some mag that showed Brad Pitt in seductive photos with Angelina Joli for contributing to America’s problems with marriage. I couldn’t believe the connection he was making. If ANYONE is basing how they act in their personal life on what a Hollywood celebrity does, they need to be shot. Don’t shoot the editor of the mag, shoot the bitch who bought and then broke up with her boyfriend because he didn’t treat her like Brad would.

I actually think it is healthly to not waste energy on activities, people, topics etc. that hold nothing for you. For example my mom will call and proceed to discuss people she works with, what is going on with them etc…I completely zone out. This behavior on her part has caused me to usually not even answer the phone. Call me if we have something to discuss. I’m not wasting my time talking about people I don’t even know…life is just way to short. Its hard enough to maintain the relationships that mean something to you in this busy world.

Perhaps not the most popular opinion on a test-laden site, but I can’t be bothered to give a shit about professional sports.

By “professional sports” I am referring the basics here in the US - Football, baseball, and basketball. The inane chatter (at work or in the locker room at the gym) about teams/players makes the needle on my Give-A-Shit-Ometer just lay there like overcooked linguini.

I feel badly for the people who base their lives on the comings, goings and doings of these athletes.

Let’s don’t even discuss when they go on strike. Lotty-frickin-DA!

That said, I like the college/high-school levels of all these sports.

Flame-on!

This thread is kind of funny. I mean, isn’t everyone this way to some point or another? What I mean by that is EVERYONE has stuff they enjoy that other people find absolutely dull.

Me and my buddies are into technology for example. Some of the girls I know can last about 5 minutes with us before their eyes roll into the back of their heads from boredom. I’ve even had one get mad at me before. “All you guys did is talk about computers, I hate that.” Well, you go out with 6 guys, 5 of whom are computer science majors (I am the exception, I only minored in it), what do you expect? You want to talk about other stuff, go out with us individually, not when we are all together doing our thing :P.

The same goes for sports. I enjoy football (especially college football). I’ve got a few friends who don’t enjoy it - one who in fact thinks its rather inane. Of course, he does stuff I think is utterly inane too. That’s just the nature of people.

The 10:00 news example is no different. Maybe the new traffic system is important to someone because they travel that route to work. The weather is important to most people so they can plan daily activities (ie, if its 95 I may cancel running or biking and do laps in the pool instead). Its all what matters.

What I WILL agree with is some people are just concerned about some seriously superficial shit. Examples include:

• Reality TV
  • Celebrity gossip.
  • American Idol
  • Office politics

People who jabber on all day about that stuff I just don’t get. But hey, if they enjoy it, thats fine - just don’t expect me to listen. They probably think I’m boring when I talk about my latest workout. Their loss.

Oh,the boring shallowness of the mind-made structures and thoughts of Homo Sapiens!

I completely agree with you Prof X. People will always interpret and percieve things in stupid assed ways, no matter what it is. People even intepret religions in fucked up ways.

I don’t pay attention or care about most of what people talk about either. I tell them about it too. It’s just part of asserting your own beliefs and being a real person. Ignoring your mom though? That’s fucked up.

If my memory serves me correctly… I have been called a “cold, shallow bastard”…because I could care less of other people’s problems and feelings… I mean the last time I checked, everyone has there own… So who really gives a shit about yours right?..

[quote]Chris_R wrote:
Perhaps not the most popular opinion on a test-laden site, but I can’t be bothered to give a shit about professional sports.

By “professional sports” I am referring the basics here in the US - Football, baseball, and basketball. The inane chatter (at work or in the locker room at the gym) about teams/players makes the needle on my Give-A-Shit-Ometer just lay there like overcooked linguini.

I feel badly for the people who base their lives on the comings, goings and doings of these athletes.

Let’s don’t even discuss when they go on strike. Lotty-frickin-DA!

That said, I like the college/high-school levels of all these sports.

Flame-on! [/quote]

I pretty much agree with everything you just said. I culdn’t give a fuck about pro sports but enjoy college. My favorite though is when people talk about a local team or one they support and they say “we” like they are on the team. I usually just put on a straight face and ask them if they are an althletic supporter, and if so do they support the whole team or just one player? Not many people get it though.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. that is why i read this and suddenly felt like i didn’t give a shit about this topic.