T Nation

Not Getting Stronger

Hey,

I have been lifting for over 8 months now, and have seen a lot of improvement such as bigger pecs and arms and such.

However, started doing some MMA and realized I am not really getting any stronger.

I see videos of guys throwing tires up hills and such like they do in strongmen competitions. DO I need to be doing stuff like that instead of just lifting?

Thanks!

You need to be eating more, and lifting heavier - especially now that you’re using more energy for MMA.

Are you putting weight on the bar?

As silly as that sounds, you’d be surprised. Put more weight on the bar, buy fractional plates and even if it means you’re putting 1/2 a lb on thats some weight and it will add up.

Also as RSG said, you eat up a lot of energy with MMA and your nutrition is HUGE.

Eat more, and buy Power Drive so your CNS reboots properly

Whenever I stop making gains, if I really look at it, my diet usually has gone to shit.

How many calories are you eating per day? You need to keep your carbs and protiens higher than normal tyo make gains. Now you have added MMA (mad cardio). You need to focus on one at a time. I’m not saying you can’t get stronger while doing MMA, but you gains will come much slower.

First figure out what is more important. Most likely strength. Go on a strength training program for 3 to 6 months, and then do some MMA. You will gain stength way quicker if you focus on strength. But if you can kick ass already than focus on technique and MMA.

Here is some advice given to me years ago that has never failed:

1. Eat more than you think you should
  2. Sleep more than you think you should
  3. Lift more than you think you should

This is a simplified version of analyzing most plateaus in strength development. Adjust these three steps in tangent and you will see gains.

[quote]Novitennis88 wrote:
Hey,

I have been lifting for over 8 months now, and have seen a lot of improvement such as bigger pecs and arms and such.

However, started doing some MMA and realized I am not really getting any stronger.

I see videos of guys throwing tires up hills and such like they do in strongmen competitions. DO I need to be doing stuff like that instead of just lifting?

Thanks![/quote]

Are you having trouble with submissions, defense, striking??? Have you been doing any rotator cuff strengthening or rotational wrist strengthening? How about unilateral exercises such as weighted lunges or one-armed pushups? Training to kick some ass is different than training to increase general strength and size.

Whatever your goal is, focus on that, if you want to be good at MMA, then spend most of your time on that, if its powerlifting, you would spend most of your time on lifting etc. If you want to compete in MMA definitely look into weight lifting only two times a week, with emphasis on single limb stuff like JayPierce said as well as bodyweight exercises.

[quote]shieldss wrote:

This is a simplified version of analyzing most plateaus in strength development. Adjust these three steps in tangent and you will see gains.[/quote]

So simple so beautiful

[quote]saps wrote:
shieldss wrote:

This is a simplified version of analyzing most plateaus in strength development. Adjust these three steps in tangent and you will see gains.

So simple so beautiful[/quote]

Seriously that needs to be put on the wall in every gym

[quote]saps wrote:
shieldss wrote:

So simple so beautiful[/quote]

Yep. If you don’t post a detailed breakdown of your training and diet, this is the best advice. Even if you do, this is still probably the best advice.

[quote]Novitennis88 wrote:
Hey,

Thanks![/quote]

1. Progressive Overload
  2. Eat more quality calories
  3. Increase protein intake
  4. Add creatine, glutamine & BCAA
  5. Add more variety to your routine

TRAIN HARD

“BIG WILLIE” J.T. HALL

Not getting stronger in the gym or don’t feel stronger on the mat? These are two very different animals.

If you want to be an animal on the mat make sure you are doing a ton of core work, shoulder stabilization, and hip stabilization. Make sure you are going heavy on exercises that permit it. Throwing stuff will help as well. Tires, med balls, rocks, whatever you find.

Take a peek at what some of strongman competitors do. This should benefit you on the mat. If you prefer to do your work in the gym search youtube for “crazybell”. You should be able to find video of people doing crazybell squats, bench, etc. Incredible for stabilizing muscles. Do these for a couple of months and you should notice a huge difference on the mat. You don’t need KBs for this just be inventive. I use loading pins and weight.

I don’t know much but I know that driving into live people and grabbing dead weights are too different things,which raises the question of how you are going to gauge whether you got stronger or not.

I seriously question if there is any science out there about lifting for MMA specifically.

another factor you might add is to back off from the weights and let your CNS recover and then try to attack the iron again…

[quote]shieldss wrote:

This is a simplified version of analyzing most plateaus in strength development. Adjust these three steps in tangent and you will see gains.[/quote]

This may be one of the simplest, concise, practical, and powerful things I’ve read in these pages.

I nominate this quote for “Powerful Words”. Also should be a sticky in “Beginners”.