T Nation

Not Getting Overwhelmed?

Hi-

First post. Starting Precision Nutrition in a week and waiting for my copy of “The New Rules of Lifting”. There just seems to be so much information on these sites that it can become quite confusing and overwhelming to know which approach to take. I assume there is a lot of trial and error to find out what works right.

Can anyone suggest a good resource to help someone figure out where to begin?

Much thanks.

Follow the programs that you’re paying for right now. As you are following your program, you can research other ways of training, but stick to your program for it’s duration.

See how your body reacts to what you’re doing. Make small adjustments if you want to go in another direction. If you’re unsure of what to do, post the exact diet and training program you are using, and your goals. We can then offer advise on what you should do next.

hey just like you are doing ask a ?? somebody well help. there is a lot of trail and error at1ST. I look at most discussions in the forums. gives me the whats up now overview.the archives are endless here. use the search (articles) example… 5x5,diet program. westside

Get this book

puts everything into perspective and is a base of knowledge for everything else

go to the site and read the samples

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Follow the programs that you’re paying for right now. As you are following your program, you can research other ways of training, but stick to your program for it’s duration.

See how your body reacts to what you’re doing. Make small adjustments if you want to go in another direction. If you’re unsure of what to do, post the exact diet and training program you are using, and your goals. We can then offer advise on what you should do next.[/quote]

Good stuff so far. I especially go along with this guy. Before burying yourself in a voluminous cacophony of information, get going in one direction. Even if it turns out not to be what you respond to best it will be far better than jumping all around behind whatever sounded good last which will be everything you read until you get a grip on what you’re doing.

That doesn’t mean don’t read, but commit to something long enough to develop habits of consistency. Not only in training, but nutrition as well.

Weight training does not require a PHD in order for one to excel, especially when you’re just getting started. Sensibly push your body to do what it isn’t used to, feed yourself plenty of good manfood over 6 meals a day and sleep.

As you have quite astutely surmised it takes no time at all for novices to become buried up to their nostrils in information that won’t be even be properly understood, nevermind actually useful for quite a while. The jack of all trades method is no friend of new weight trainers.

I love “Starting Strength” and really believe it has all you need to get really, really strong.

Don’t get bogged down with all the minutiae. Keep a log. Record exercises, sets, reps, weights. Try to push up your numbers a little week to week. If you find yourself plateauing, do something different - change exercises, # of sets or reps, or change the exercise order, or the rep tempo. Enjoy yourself in the gym. It doesn’t have to be a brain-busting activity…