Not Getting Enough Results

I started working out again back in November and lost about 20 pounds. I was really serious about my eating and workout routine, but I didn’t feel like I was getting enough out of it. I’m almost positive it’s BBB I was doing. Upper body on Monday and Thursday and lower on Tuesday and Friday with Cardio on other days.

I had a run of bad luck including getting fired from work(no food in the house) and wrecking my truck. I hurt my wrists in the wreck. All in all, I haven’t been working out since the middle of December. I got back in the gym yesterday and it felt nice.

My problem is that when I do upper body, I leave the gym feeling like I should do more. My muscles feel good; I know I worked them out properly. When On my lower body and cardio days, however, I feel pooped. I’m doing good to get out of gym. I was thinking about doing my upper body workout, then going and running a few laps around the track.

Would this be wise? A buddy of mine suggested that I up my weights and intensity. (I’m still a noob, so I haven’t really found my high weights and intensity). What do I do?

Thanks for the help!

It would help if we can get the exact workout ur doing…BBB, if thats Big Boy Basics, than id say its a great workout…im actually just finishing it up, and my strength has gone up tremendously, and ive been on some solid pounds…if your doing this workout you have to make sure your following the proper rest periods in between each set, and make sure your doin a warm up set or 2 before each excercise…and dont be afraid to throw an extra 10lbs here and there…if your feeling good, than do more or add more weight…

as for legs, make sure you stretch well before beginning your workout than get after it…get some good music too on an ipod or something, it could help u out also…good luck bro, try to post your diet and workout if you can

No need to feel trashed after every workout.

[quote]IronWarrior34 wrote:
It would help if we can get the exact workout ur doing…BBB, if thats Big Boy Basics, than id say its a great workout…im actually just finishing it up, and my strength has gone up tremendously, and ive been on some solid pounds…if your doing this workout you have to make sure your following the proper rest periods in between each set, and make sure your doin a warm up set or 2 before each excercise…and dont be afraid to throw an extra 10lbs here and there…if your feeling good, than do more or add more weight…

as for legs, make sure you stretch well before beginning your workout than get after it…get some good music too on an ipod or something, it could help u out also…good luck bro, try to post your diet and workout if you can[/quote]

Thanks Wreckless.

IronWarrior: I appreciate the post. I think you kinda missed my point though. BBB is big boy basics. I agree with you, it’s a pretty good one. Here is the routine I do:

Day 1 (Upper Body)

Exercise: Barbell Bench Press

Sets: 8

Reps: 3

Rest: 60 seconds between sets

Load: 5RM (repetition maximum)

Exercise: Seated or Chest-Supported Rows

Rest: 60s

Load: 5RM

Exercise: Pull-ups or Pulldowns

Exercise: Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press

Day 2 (Lower Body)

Exercise: Barbell Squats

Sets: 3

Reps: 8

Rest: 90s

Load: 10RM

Exercise: Leg Raises

Exercise: Dumbbell Deadlifts

Exercise: Decline Bench Sit-Ups

Exercise: Standing Calf Raises

Day 3 (Off)

Perform 15-20 minutes of moderate intensity cardio.

Day 4 (Upper Body)

Exercise: 45? Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

Exercise: 45? Dumbbell Rows

Exercise: Standing Barbell Curls

Exercise: Standing Reverse Grip Triceps Pressdown

Day 5 (Lower Body)

Exercise: Hack Squats

Exercise: Lying Leg Curls

Exercise: Lying Leg Raises

Exercise: Seated Calf Raises

Rest: 30s

Days 6 and 7 (Off)

Perform 15-20 minutes of moderate intensity cardio if desired.

I really try to follow CW’s advice very closely. I use the rep counts and rests exactly how he says. My diet is really clean, but I’m not sure if I need to eat more.

Usually a can of tuna and some protein powder(half a scoop-10grams) at 5:30am. Workout at 6am. I usually finish around 6:45-7:00am. Then I take a full scoop of protein powder, eat about 5 eggs, two pieces of wheat bread, a banana or grapefruit(which ever is available), and a little bit of potatoes. I also drink two glasses of water. Then I eat every two hours.
*Breakfast at 7:00-7:30(fin)

*snack at 9:15-9:30: protein and apple

*Lunch at Noon: roast beef sandwich on wheat with lettuce, tomato, onions and cheese. Salad consisting of lettuce, broccoli, black olives, mushrooms, and dressing…very little dressing. I really don’t like it too much.

*Snack at 2:00pm: 4 scrambled eggs in tortilla wraps with cheese and tabasco sauce.

*Snack at 4:00-4:30pm: Apple, protein shake, power bar

*Dinner at 6:00-6:30pm: Roast beef sandwich and salad…same as above

*Snack at 8:00pm: can of tuna or tuna sandwich.

*BED at 9:00pm to be up at 5:30am.

I like BBB and am confident in my eating habits. I go through a half gallon of skim milk every 2-3 days and only drink water otherwise…sometimes I will throw in an apple or orange juice.

Mainly I just want to know if it will hurt me to go running on days I have my upper body. I don’t even mean running a lot…just a few laps.

not at all man…springs would probably be the best though…100 yard sprints…sprinting is very anabolic and would help greatly…if you have the Muscle Revolution book read that section about sprints and stuff, its an EXCELLENT workout…good luck

Do you know what your 5 and 10 rep maxes are? I’d take a couple sessions to try to find that out more accurately, might help the intensity of your workouts.

[quote]Melvin Smiley wrote:
Do you know what your 5 and 10 rep maxes are? I’d take a couple sessions to try to find that out more accurately, might help the intensity of your workouts.[/quote]

I don’t know what they are. I figure I will find out by getting in there. In the mean-time, I plan to do some extra cardio to get rid of the hot pockets under my skin since I won’t be working out at a high intensity.

I had a similar experience a while back, and Chad recommended Waterbury Method to me. If you’re trying to gain mass right now, I think that would work for you. If you’re trying to lose weight, try Chad’s 10x3 for Fat Loss.

At least, that’s what I think. You could always post your question in the “Waterbury’s Locker” thread and get his opinion.

How you feel after a workout does not matter at all really. What matters is that you make progress from workout to workout. If you can do another set, rep, or more weight than last time, than it is a good workout. Once you reach a plateau, switch to different exercises and repeat.