T Nation

Not Getting a Good Burn in My Chest

I have a quick question, looked around but couldnt specify and find exactly what I was looking for in the search option.
I am doing DB Bench and the gym, also doing Smith incline bench and I feel like I am only working my tris on both, never really getting a good burn in my chest when doing the excersises or even after the work out.

I have had a few people look over my technique while doing them and they said they all look pretty good. Even with DB Flys i’m not getting a good burn like I do in almost every other workout. Any advice would be greatly appeciated.

Thanks ahead of time.

who gives a shit about a burn/pump

Up the weight.

Concentrate on contracting your pecs on the flies.

If you truly feel that only your tris are involved, try barbell bench press and maybe db incline.

your right I guess, I said that wrong, fuck the burn but I don’t seem to be getting much results in my chest. However my legs are doing a lot better and my back is getting better also.

[quote]schultzie wrote:
who gives a shit about a burn/pump[/quote]

correct

how long have you been pressing? Your pecs will grow without pump or burn. If they dont gain inches in a year then start working on things like Cable press and other targeting methods.

CT has the best stuff in:

The “combo dumbbell cable press” as item “C.” under special exercise is the ultimate chest isolator for me. Thing is you can still put tons of weight on the DB’s.

-chris

[quote]carltmac wrote:
your right I guess, I said that wrong, fuck the burn but I don’t seem to be getting much results in my chest. However my legs are doing a lot better and my back is getting better also.[/quote]

Also it could be that your triceps are the “weakest link” and need to be the main movers for a bit. If you keep pushing the weight with the DB press then the pecs will have to kick in on those last sets.

-chris

[quote]schultzie wrote:
who gives a shit about a burn/pump[/quote]

Most bodybuilders do.

I felt I had the same problem with DB bench. It was more of an arm shoulder workout for me. I have 36" long arms(long sleeve shirt). I changed to BB bench with a wide grip. Now I feel it in my chest every workout.

if you’re looking for a good pump I suggest you try dips with strict form, with your chest leaning forward. And about you not getting a pump from db press, I am the same way i don’t get anything out of dumbells, but rest-pause bench press with the barbell working a full range of motion works the chest really well and pumps it up. Technically a burn/pump is not an indication of progress but it is nice to have that mind-muscle connection the burn gives you.

my two cents.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
schultzie wrote:
who gives a shit about a burn/pump

Most bodybuilders do.[/quote]

LOL, and for charlie I think you should:

1. go up on the weight. For example you make set(s) of 6 reps on your first exercise, move the weight up 'till you can get just 6 reps, not even 7. I suggest that to see if you’re using the correct load for you.

2)If you still feel the work on the tris, try starting your chest routine with cable or machine flyes, and that may correct the problem. Then go to the basic stuff, but put it after the flyes. This is to prefatigue the chest; it’ll take over in the movement instead of the tris or delts.

Reduce the weight a little for the DB press and do pre and post flyes. I have a problem with my triceps taking over on most bench pressing exercises. I try to get around that by doing a set a db flyes then immediately doing db bench and finally some more flyes (if my chest is not fried yet). Also, reduced weight bench press to the neck really stretches out my pecs and I feel my chest working a little more than with normal bench presses.

I have a hard time “feeling” my chest pumps too. If its that big of a deal to you, wait till the end of your chest routine and do some major as flye burnouts.

You’ll feel it then. Also…focus on contractions/flex…whatever you call it.

Perhaps the reason that your lacking a good burn in your chest after DB presses is because your arms and stabilizing muscles are getting hit much harder. I myself am not a fan of the pump. That said, I have experienced both strong results and some good instant grad. from super heavy BB decline bench. Also, who doesn’t get a burn from maxing out on a couple sets of pushups?

[quote]BrownTrout wrote:
Perhaps the reason that your lacking a good burn in your chest after DB presses is because your arms and stabilizing muscles are getting hit much harder. I myself am not a fan of the pump. That said, I have experienced both strong results and some good instant grad. from super heavy BB decline bench. Also, who doesn’t get a burn from maxing out on a couple sets of pushups? [/quote]

Or even push ups on blast straps/rings where you can “fly” your hands together as you press.

-chris

seconding blast straps, i have a homemade pair in my basement, and i hook them up top wide apart too so it smashes my chest

Carltmac

How much do you weight?
How tall are you?

Try this on for size: Flat DB bench 12,10,10,6-8. On the weight you used for 6-8 half it and do a drop set (example: 100lb DB use the 50lber) Do 4 more drop sets until you can barely move the DBs off your chest.

You could just do the db bench with a long and deep stretch at the bottom of each rep, letting the weights go much closer to the ground.

Or just throw in a couple of sets of db flyes at the end of your workout.

I think I’ve only felt soreness in my chest 1 or 2 times this last year, but I still put an inch on my chest.

Try a hot poker fresh out of the fire … my girls LOOOOVE that

i do think dumbells involve the triceps more when pressing. i do barbell benching, powerlifting scheme, but i also feel that my triceps are involved more so every few weeks i change to a wide grip.
you can also change your tempo, fast up, slow down, no pausing. rather the opposite of rest pausing it is.
if you want burning then i second the drop set idea. i dont use that one anymore though since that would be going backwards to me