T Nation

Not Enough? Too Much?

I’m new to the website and forums and would like to change my body. I’m 6’0", 180lbs. I’ve been in and out of a weight room from time to time due to high school and college athletics.

I was in a car accident about six months ago, and have been back to lifting for about 10 weeks now. I was just wondering what the forums thought of my lifting/cardio/diet schedule and whether I’ll see results with this or how I could get better results. I’m not looking to bulk and have a ton of mass, but more of a slim, tone, muscular image.

Right now my routine consists of:

Work Monday-Friday 8am-5pm

Lift 5:30-7:00pm

Monday - Chest/Tri’s then 25 min HIIT
Tuesday - Bi’s/Back then 25 min HIIT
Wednesday - Shoulders/Legs then 25 min HIIT
Thursday - Chest/Tri’s then 25 min HIIT
Friday - Bi’s/Back then 25 min HIIT
Saturday/Sunday - Rest or some type of sport

I’m pretty consistant with my diet, rather than the weekends. I travel a lot. I try to eat and whether it’s enough I don’t know:
6:30 - Wake Up
7:00am - 1 Serving Opto N Whey w/ Low-Fat Milk
9:30am - Almonds, Rice Cake, Low-Fat Yogurt
12:00pm - 4 Cans of Tuna
3:00pm - Almonds, Rice Cake, Low Fat-Yogurt
5:00pm - Big 100 Colossal Meal Bar
5:30pm - Lift
7:00pm - Post WO CellMass
7:30pm - 2 Servings OptoN Whey w/ Low-Fat Milk
7:40pm - 1 Chicken Breast, 10 Shrimp, Broccoli
10:00pm - Bed

Is this overkill? Not enough? Will I see results on this type of lifting/HITT schedule? I know I need to eat more, but what more of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

“I’m not looking to bulk and have a ton of mass, but more of a slim, tone, muscular image.”

That’s not really what we’re about here. You’ll have better luck at a men’s health&fitness forum.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
“I’m not looking to bulk and have a ton of mass, but more of a slim, tone, muscular image.”

That’s not really what we’re about here. You’ll have better luck at a men’s health&fitness forum.[/quote]

x2

Alright, thanks for the input.

You could put on 20 lbs. more and still have a lean look at your height.

If it’s 18 lbs. of lean mass, you’ll look great.

If it’s 18lbs. of fat, not so much.

More meals of chicken breast and broccoli, less meals of stuff that comes from GNC. Every meal should be close to 40-40-20, protein, healthy carbs, healthy fat.

1.5 hours of lifting is a long time. Maybe too long for you. I can only last about a month with that much volume. I do much better working out 45 minutes, 3 or 4 days a week with a higher intensity.

Don’t do HIIT everyday. Don’t lift everyday. You’re doing a lot but not eating much.

I would cut down on the HIIT… I was doing a similar regiment to you and I got tendinitis of the knee from overworking it. Just a warning.

You said you have been lifting for 10 weeks but are asking if you will see results. Well, have you seen results? If so, continue until you don’t. If you you’re not seeing results, which I don’t think you are since you’re asking us, look to change your routine.

I’m not going to say anything new but it looks as if you should…

1. unless you’re eating mass amounts of what you listed, you’re not eating enough. And if you are, your calories could really come from better sources. I don’t think your body will miss the Colossal bars and rice cakes. And I hope that low fat yogurt is plain. It’ll be more beneficial to eat better and workout better than to starve and not be able to achieve a high enough intensity. This could also be helped by cutting your training volume in half. (maybe something like mon: bi’s/back, tues: legs/HIIT, wed: tri’s/chest, thursday: off or sport, Fri: repeat cycle)
  2. is that only 1 serving of vegetables? And no fruit? (fructose isn’t that terrible!)
  3. and I’d eat some kind of quality carbs for now, atleast pre and post workout.

More isn’t always better.

I’d suggest doing more lower body… you have 2 days of back/bis and chest/tris, and then just one day of legs thrown in with shoulders, hard to believe you’re doing very much legs that way compared to everything else

[quote]mr popular wrote:

That’s not really what we’re about here. You’ll have better luck at a men’s health&fitness forum.[/quote]

Absolutely the most helpful reply I’ve ever seen on this forum. You must be proud.

to the OP: At the very least, you’re not going to see much in the way of muscle gains from your program. You’re also not eating enough to support your muscle mass at that level of activity, so you may even lose some. Drop the HIIT back to two days a week, work legs two days a week, and make sure you get plenty of rest.

I’m sure someone else here has some useful links to help with your diet. Anybody?

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
mr popular wrote:

That’s not really what we’re about here. You’ll have better luck at a men’s health&fitness forum.

Absolutely the most helpful reply I’ve ever seen on this forum. You must be proud.

to the OP: At the very least, you’re not going to see much in the way of muscle gains from your program. You’re also not eating enough to support your muscle mass at that level of activity, so you may even lose some. Drop the HIIT back to two days a week, work legs two days a week, and make sure you get plenty of rest.

I’m sure someone else here has some useful links to help with your diet. Anybody?[/quote]

Yes, menshealth.com.

Just because the two of you don’t have the intelligence to lead him in the right direction, doesn’t mean he should be sent away.

And having a slim, toned, muscular image IS what bodybuilding is about.

We WERE trying to lead him in the right direction. Did you think we were just making some joke? We weren’t.

Being slim is a goal that runs opposite to the general topic and consensus at this website. Theres nothing WRONG with it, but the fact is he’d have better luck at a website more geared toward that particular goal.

I would just ask JayPierce how he got to 195 in 15 years, if I were you.

Off the top of my head…

A body part split probably is not the best way to start out when you’re getting back into things.

Way too much upper body work with too little lower body. You also may be working out too much in general for someone getting back into the game.

Ditch the protein bars (junk), and maybe reconsider that second shake meal. I try to keep shakes for breakfast, pre/post workout and if I wake up in the middle of the night. I’ll make rare exceptions but it shouldn’t be the rule.

Cell-mass is a waste of money, and there are independent lab tests that have shown it contains creatine monohydrate, nothing fancy.

Where are the fruits and veggies? Where is the fiber? Where is the fat?

Also, OP, could you fill us in on what your body fat is like now? If you don’t know the actual % don’t guess. Either take a picture, get a proper measurement, or try to describe yourself after looking in the mirror (love handles? see any abs? how much muscle separation do you have? waist size?).

Also, explain your goals or at least what you think your goals should be. Do you think you need to be bulking or cutting to achieve your goals?

You have been lifting for 10 weeks. You should not need to be asking us at this point whether you are going to see progress. You should have seen some progress already, especially since you are getting back into the game (thus newbie gains/muscle memory). Have you seen progress? Lost any fat? Gained any muscle?

Without clarification it sounds like you have spent 10 weeks not getting very far in any direction just given the way you phrase your questions. This should be a red flag right there to reevaluate your goals and your plan to achieve those goals including your diet and exercise plan.

[quote]eeu743 wrote:
I would just ask JayPierce how he got to 195 in 15 years, if I were you.[/quote]

For the first five, I was beating my head against a wall. Overtraining, not eating near enough, generally not knowing what the hell I was doing. The same way a lot of us started out.

The next three or four was spent sitting on the couch. I had given up because everything I’d read and tried (mainly from publications like the one you recommended) never worked, and I was frustrated.

Tried again, and got cut short by a hernia repair in 2003. Gave up again because squats and deads were painful on the repair site.

Started back at it about a year ago. Smashed my knee in a motorycle wreck in Feb. Back to it in early May (light work: pushups, crunches and the like) Finally had the cash to buy an Olympic set and a rack/bench.

Started lifting seriously again on May 21, at 170lbs bw. Found T-Nation. Got the information I needed when I was 14. Put on 28 lbs in two and a half months. Now I’m trying to lean out a bit. I’m still getting stronger, but my weight is staying the same. I’ll take it.

I have learned far more on this site in the past couple of months than I did in years of reading MensHealth and all that other bullshit. Don’t send anybody away.

If someone comes onto this website asking how to become a great chess player, what would YOU do?

No one is telling the OP to GO AWAY, it’d be great if he would stick around but he’s going to get better answers for his particular question at a place that caters to that type of thing.

And on a sidenote, correct me if I’m wrong, but did you just say you’re 14 years old…? Or am I reading this incorrectly?

Also, you put on 28lbs in two and a half months…?

Why are you giving advice to ANYONE?

What ‘type of thing’ are you talking about? The OP didn’t say he wanted to be rail thin with abs, he said he wants to be lean and muscular. I think that’s exactly the ‘type of thing’ this website caters to.

No. I’m not fourteen. Read a little closer. Think about it.

28 lbs in ten weeks. That’s 2.8 lbs per week. That’s actually a little bit more than I should’ve gained. My waist went up half an inch.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
What ‘type of thing’ are you talking about? The OP didn’t say he wanted to be rail thin with abs, he said he wants to be lean and muscular. I think that’s exactly the ‘type of thing’ this website caters to.

No. I’m not fourteen. Read a little closer. Think about it.

28 lbs in ten weeks. That’s 2.8 lbs per week. That’s actually a little bit more than I should’ve gained. My waist went up half an inch.

[/quote]

I just laughed so hard I almost died from lack of oxygen…

And about your slim and toned image being what bbing is about:
That you beat your head against a wall for years sure shows… I feel sorry for you.

There are fitness-competitions and such for your kind, what the hell are you doing on a bodybuilding forum?