T Nation

Not Eating Carbs and Fats Together

I've read a bunch of articles on here that when you eat fats and carbs in the same meal that it can impede fat loss and actually make you store body fat, but I was doing some reading on glycemic index and load(on the Harvard health website) and it was saying that fats and proteins will actually slow the absorption of the carbs and lower the GI of the meal, lower the BGL spike. Can anybody clarify exactly why fats and carbs together isn't good for fat loss?

Yes

There are articles here that answer that question.

There comes a time when you have to make up your own mind.

Lyle MacDonald and Myaki (spl??) are a few I like.

With the exception of intra-workout, there are few scenarios where you would look to eliminate certain macros while eating others. In principle, when fat loss is your goal, it has long been recommended by people like Berardi to adopt a protein + fat (PF) when not active, and adding protein + carbs (PC) around training period, strategy. This is common sense when you are naturally restricting carbs. And, as you point out, the addition of, e.g. some fat to your PC meals will naturally lower the GI of the meal.

there's not any reason why you'd ever really need to.

Noakes M, et al. Comparison of isocaloric very low carbohydrate/high saturated fat and high carbohydrte/low saturated fat diets on body composition and cardiovascular risk. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2006 Jan 11;3:7.

Science, baby.

That said, a lot of people find it easier to plan their meals by thinking in terms of a P+F meal or a P+C meal. If you are one such individual, then have at it.

I personally find it easier to remove carbs completely from certain meals when cutting, rather than having a tiny amount of carbs with each meal, so that's what I do, but it's more to do with how I like to eat rather than a need to separate carbs and fats.